Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 12:03 PM

18 posts, read 27,182 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, me & my wife are planning to move to Florida next year and can't seem to make up our minds as of to where exactly, we have friends in jacksonville & also my dad lives in Tampa, I'm 42 & my wife is 33, our little son is 3 so finding a decent area to live with good schools is a must..I'm a truck driver by trade so having a class a license is a big plus for me as far as trucking jobs I shouldn't have any problems finding work, my wife is a Pharmacy technitian so hopefully it won't be hard for her to land a job specially with her charming English accent hahaha. I need honest feedback please about the two places & of the two which will be the best one to move to...thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 02:41 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
I much prefer the Tampa "area" over Jax.

Having some family here may be a nice thing for you.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:10 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
i have lived in both- I had many more friends in JAX- but schools etc, think better in Tampa, Depends how much SOUTH you want- I called Jax little GA. Tampa midwestern in nature,,, and cool distant kinda folks.. you best ask your friends and fam - being around them is a good thing for your kids.- good luck

Old 09-10-2013, 03:29 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,477 times
I've lived in both. Tampa, hands down for me. Many reasons but the vibe is just so different here than Jax.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:00 PM

670 posts, read 1,277,823 times
Hey gulfer. What is the vibe like in Jax? Is the city diverse and do folks co-mingle with each other? I ask because hubby and I were driving through Jax recently and I wondered to myself if I would like living there. The downtown area seemed pretty nice. I would like to live closer to 95 to shoot up to DC when necessary AND cooler fall temps. I know Jax can get much cooler than Tampa, which I actually miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
I've lived in both. Tampa, hands down for me. Many reasons but the vibe is just so different here than Jax.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:17 PM

18 posts, read 27,182 times
Thank you all so much for the info, from wot I can gather by reading online is that it seems that the Tampa area has a lot more things to do & see plus having my dad in Tampa sounds pretty cool as I can just have him babysit my son whilst taking me wife out to dinner or something innit...

Old 09-10-2013, 05:48 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
One more vote for Tampa.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:32 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NALEXAND View Post
Hey gulfer. What is the vibe like in Jax? Is the city diverse and do folks co-mingle with each other? I ask because hubby and I were driving through Jax recently and I wondered to myself if I would like living there. The downtown area seemed pretty nice. I would like to live closer to 95 to shoot up to DC when necessary AND cooler fall temps. I know Jax can get much cooler than Tampa, which I actually miss.
I spent a lot of time there going out, hanging with friends, so had a good taste of all that it offered. I was single and in my early to mid 30's. There are some great micro breweries where we spent a lot of time. We were down in the city on the Landing and it really died down after 8:00 or so.

The Beach is nice, they have the clubs along there as well but it feels different from here. Hard to put my finger on it, but it is more relaxed here in Tampa for one thing. If I were in my young 20's, there would have been plenty of places to go. Most places on the beach where people my age went to quieted down after 10.

Also, while the Landing area is nice ... North Jacksonville is a tuff neighborhood. If I were to move there for a job or something like that, I would probably live well North of the City by Fernadina Beach. I lived on the Southside by Bay Meadows and while I liked it, I wouldn't want to live there again.

Florida is notorious for people going out to eat, then heading back to the house. Hard to get into a good place to eat between 5:30 and 9:00 without a reservation. Even the chain eateries like (Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Bone Fish Grill, etc...) have lines.

I don't know if this still holds true (or even was true) but Jacksonville used to be the largest city (area wise) in the U.S. It covers a large area! Could be a reason why people didn't always want to be out and about, it was a long drive home for some.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:05 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Tampa - no contest.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:25 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,341 times
I like the Tampa area. I don't know much about Jacksonville, so I can't compare the two, but I have lived here for 5 1/2 years and it's great here. So much to do and see. Close to Orlando for day trips, and so many beaches on the gulf coast. The beaches on the gulf coast are always in the top ratings for Dr. Beach best beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay