Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 11:49 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,595,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
There are a few here who repeatedly state:

"there are no jobs"

"the jobs in Florida are low paying"

"jobs pay less here".

"there are no (or few) good jobs"

"all the jobs are minimum wage"

I wish someone would explain to me why other folks (besides the posters of the above referenced quote) seem to come and find jobs that are suitable to them in a very short time. Is it the problem of the people who post this non-sense or is reality?

It seems it is not the reality of the situation at all yet those folks have and will continue to post the same old mantras.
I have a good job here in Florida, but it is well known that wages tend to be lower here for a lot of people. Is the sunshine tax a myth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 11:55 AM

5,909 posts, read 7,241,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher23 View Post
Its definately not easy, and quite overwhelming especially when you live out of state trying to apply there! But its also all about networking which i've been doing alot of now with people that are down there, trying to get my name out there and inquiring about any open positions. Its funny, soon as i updated my resume on careerbuilder i'm getting multiple calls a day from recruiters here in Cleveland that have multiple openings for my experience and skillsets, but I still answer them and let them know i'm actually looking to relocate to Tampa, so they forward my resume and information to their Tampa offices instead. I'm just wondering if i were to change my address to a Tampa address if i would get just as many calls for positions down there instead? I'll wait it out a couple months and see if i get any hits and make changes as needed.
But good to hear you found a job down there so quickly! One of my buddies just moved down there with no job thinking he wasn't going to find anything for a few months either, low and behold within a month he got hired making even more money he did up here. Its all about how motivated and determined you are to make yourself successful, and like you said if you market yourself and try hard enough then the right opportunity will present itself. I'm just hoping that is going to be the case for me, sooner than later!
I would do the following:

1.) Get a local (Tampa) address through a friend, relative, or mail service. Use this as the reply address on any job related correspondence, such as resumes and cover letters.

2.) Get a local phone number with a burner cell phone or Google. Use it with the address as described above.

3.) Do not offer explanations, talk about why you want to relocate, etc., in any job related correspondence or communications. It's not relevant to the employer, especially if the position does not provide relocation. This is not being deceptive - it is an omission that is not relevant to the potential employer.

4.) Be prepared to have to make short term travel arrangements. If you get "the call" you'll likely be able to stall for a day or two before you have to appear. Remember that this is a job-seeking expense, so keep mileage and all receipts!

I have helped several friends find jobs outside of the areas they currently lived in this way. I can tell you as an employer I rarely look at resumes from outside the area unless the person is really exceptional.

Do this and I'll bet you start getting calls and responses.

RM

Old 09-13-2013, 01:24 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,833,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I have a good job here in Florida, but it is well known that wages tend to be lower here for a lot of people. Is the sunshine tax a myth?
It really depends on the field and where comparing it to. Moving from NC (Raleigh Area) to here, my first job's pay was comparable, my second job I left the first for was lower as I saw other benefits to it (when I was able to work), our son's is 25% higher here and my wife's was the same pay and all of us saved on state income tax.

Now if we moved from NYC, Boston or some other places, I bet our pay would be lower here.

It really depends on so many things. You may make more, less or the same.....but a pretty good shot at somewhat less than the better employment areas.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:40 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,234,143 times
Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL Economy at a Glance

Old 09-13-2013, 01:59 PM

440 posts, read 592,292 times
Morton, thank you for the heads up! Please read my responses in red regarding these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I would do the following:

1.) Get a local (Tampa) address through a friend, relative, or mail service. Use this as the reply address on any job related correspondence, such as resumes and cover letters. I do have a friend's address to use in St. Pete that i have not used yet as i feel this is deceptive to the hiring manager if they were to call me. I figure its probabaly not a good idea to lie right off the bat? So instead i removed my address from my resume and cover letter and just put my email address and cell phone # which has a CLE area code. However, most of the jobs i have applied for redirect me to an application page that requires me to put my address in anyways, in which i have so far used my Ohio address but stated i am relocating.

2.) Get a local phone number with a burner cell phone or Google. Use it with the address as described above. Got an 813 area code # from Google Voice to use, but have not put it on any applications as of yet.

3.) Do not offer explanations, talk about why you want to relocate, etc., in any job related correspondence or communications. It's not relevant to the employer, especially if the position does not provide relocation. This is not being deceptive - it is an omission that is not relevant to the potential employer. So the only thing i explain in my cover letter about relocating is 1 small paragraph which is this:
"[SIZE=3][/SIZE][SIZE=3]Although I am currently located inCleveland Ohio, I will soon be relocating to the Tampa area with family membersand am immediately available to interview in Florida with 24 hours notice. I will also relocate at my own expense andcan begin work in 2-3 weeks should an offer be extended."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Is that enough or should i include a bit more or change it up? Maybe add specific dates i could come down to interview? Not sure if that would matter much since i mentioned that i would be able to come interview within 24 hours notice
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
4.) Be prepared to have to make short term travel arrangements. If you get "the call" you'll likely be able to stall for a day or two before you have to appear. Remember that this is a job-seeking expense, so keep mileage and all receipts! Not a problem, already planned for this to happen.

I have helped several friends find jobs outside of the areas they currently lived in this way. I can tell you as an employer I rarely look at resumes from outside the area unless the person is really exceptional.

Do this and I'll bet you start getting calls and responses.

RM

Old 09-13-2013, 04:31 PM

35,362 posts, read 20,722,137 times
Quote:

"there are no jobs"

"jobs pay less here".

I wish someone would explain to me why other folks (besides the posters of the above referenced quote) seem to come and find jobs that are suitable to them in a very short time. Is it the problem of the people who post this non-sense or is reality?

It seems it is not the reality of the situation at all yet those folks have and will continue to post the same old mantras.
There are many fuddy duddys here who do NOT want change, I think they are midwesterners who are used to a quiet prarie,,, or afraid they have to share space and pay for it.. ... anyhow forget them... MOVE forward!!

Old 09-13-2013, 04:36 PM

35,362 posts, read 20,722,137 times
One thing I will share, as a female this is a great shopping place, just spent $100 at JC and got all kinds of nice clothes as they were marking down- wayyy down prices preparing for winter season- I mean $3 $4 for a blouse, pants shorts or sweater- this part makes the low wages equal out. Next week its dillards 40% on top of.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:45 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,595,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
One thing I will share, as a female this is a great shopping place, just spent $100 at JC and got all kinds of nice clothes as they were marking down- wayyy down prices preparing for winter season- I mean $3 $4 for a blouse, pants shorts or sweater- this part makes the low wages equal out. Next week its dillards 40% on top of.
They're more likely preparing for bankruptcy.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:06 PM

5,909 posts, read 7,241,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher23 View Post
Morton, thank you for the heads up! Please read my responses in red regarding these.
There is nothing deceptive in using a local address, especially if you are already planning on relocating. Consider it a form of advance planning, just as one might make trips in advance to scout out potential places to live, for example. If a potential employer asks, be truthful with them - I am not suggesting that you lie or be deceptive. Getting a local address is a means of preparing for your eventual relocation, nothing more.

A potential employer doesn't want your life story, or even a part of it. Volunteer as little personal information as possible up front - save it for the interview, if then.

I can tell you as a hiring manager the minute I read, "I am planning on relocating and can do so immediately if necessary" I toss the letter/resume in the "No" pile. Why? Because I have neither the time nor interest in taking someone on whose personal life is going to be in major disarray when they start working for me.

You can argue this point all you like, but when I have a new hire I want them to be focused and not suddenly having to take time off to go back "home" to close on a house, supervise a move, etc. if I have someone I am relocating, fine, as that's expected and factored into the process.

Read #3 again. Think about it. Read it again.

DO NOT discuss relocating with a potential employer. Period.

Think about it this way: you're trying to sell yourself. Why would you tell them something negative and that does nothing to benefit them right out of the gate?

Even if they get past the little paragraph about your desire to relocate, you now have a big strike against you.

Nothing I have stated is lying or deceptive. It is omission of information that is not germane to the matter at hand, that's all.

RM

Old 09-13-2013, 05:14 PM

484 posts, read 757,050 times
Quote:

"there are no jobs"

"jobs pay less here".

Perhaps it is the reality for those who claim it so? Tampa isn't exactly a hotbed for my husband's careerpath, and what few jobs there are really weren't a good fit for one reason or another (mostly money!). We recognize the reality that we might have to move should the travel required become too much for his current position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay