Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 11:30 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
Ugh, these conversations are endless but I brought up the rule of law so I cant complain too much.

I will simply say, one could suggest that a prison term is better then a bullet to the head and maybe a shallow grave. Because we have rule of law there are statistics to report. I cant help you if you put stock in any statistics assembled outside the United States. I would suggest maybe a few classes in comparative politics at the local university to start!

My 2 cents, love your country Cupper!
I was a poli sci major at university. I kind of know that stuff.

Many many countries have the ability to report statistics reliably not just the USA. Certainly Canada Britain France Germany would be included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 11:59 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
The USA also leads the world in the RATE per100,000 of incarceration.

ONLY North Korea is estimated to be in the same area. China and Russia are significantly less especially China.

The USA does not have the best justice system in the world. Not even close. It's just too bad that the public has not recognized how much the rights has been infringed upon and how many have allowed laws passed that infringe on those right. The dream of the land of the free expired half a century ago. Living in the past doesn't change it.
To say the U.S. does not have the best justice system and then compare it to Russia, China and North Korea is moronic. Guess you missed the story about the thousands that are executed each year in China.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:05 PM

I have yet to see a link to the incident and it appears that the officer did not shoot his taser, based on the OP, so now officers are not allowed to use any kind of threat to get those committing crimes to comply?

Old 09-15-2013, 12:10 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,651,821 times
The question is when does one individuals right(the shirtless field runner) begin to infringe on the publics right(the Dunedin fans) to enjoy a football game uninterrupted??? I think the minute the fan disrupted the game on the field...he crossed that line...and when he refused to stop when ordered to do so by a police officer he assumed the risk of being tased...

Old 09-15-2013, 12:17 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,651,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
You could always go to NY where the police start shooting if you raise your fingers and make believe they are a gun
I have two recently retired NYPD police lieutenants in my immediate family...incidences like the crazy guy with the imaginary gun happen many times a day all over the city... and are resolved with out incident...(especially near the anniversary of 9/11)...the cops are on edge and over-reactions can happen...but they are very rare...

Old 09-15-2013, 12:34 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
To say the U.S. does not have the best justice system and then compare it to Russia, China and North Korea is moronic. Guess you missed the story about the thousands that are executed each year in China.
China DOES execute a lot. Agreed.

2000 according to Amnesty International. So take those numbers away the rate of incarceration is still many times more in the USA.

I would trust the justice system in Germany, Britain, Canada, and France significantly more than that which exit the States currently.

Like I said, the land of the free had disappeared for almost 50 years now

Old 09-15-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I have two recently retired NYPD police lieutenants in my immediate family...incidences like the crazy guy with the imaginary gun happen many times a day all over the city... and are resolved with out incident...(especially near the anniversary of 9/11)...the cops are on edge and over-reactions can happen...but they are very rare...
I was just kidding when I first posted in the thread and give officers in any jurisdiction credit for doing one of the hardest jobs out there, then someone had to come into the thread and compare the U.S. to Russia, China and North Korea

Old 09-15-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:

2000 according to Amnesty International. So take those numbers away the rate of incarceration is still many times more in the USA.

I would trust the justice system in Germany, Britain, Canada, and France significantly more than that which exit the States currently.

You seem to be posting an awful lot of anti-U.S. posts for not having any freedom.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:11 PM

693 posts, read 1,138,276 times
Quote:

You seem like you have good intentions in what you are trying to convey but I think your time would be better spent going out in your backyard and gathering as much American soil as you can and start kissing and hugging it.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:22 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,823,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
the argument "it could have been worse, he's lucky" is pretty weak logic, imo...I guess the same could be said for any misdemeanor where a police officer doesn't shoot the culprit........hope the family sues the city where this police officer works for unnecessarily brutality - there was no one threatened and no urgency to get him off the field - was the kid wielding a weapon? As I linked above, the tazer can be lethal - police officer is lucky he didn't kill the kid with it.
Why? The officer did NOT fire his taser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay