U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 07:42 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,229,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
There's a reason why people move to Florida when they retire - ease of living is a major one.
Actually, the major reasons are climate and cost of living. Rarely does one see municipalities in Florida appear in any of the ease of living charts. That's not to say it doesn't exist here or that it's hell on earth (far from it), but facts are facts and facts can be overidden on the personal level. Boston is much easier to live in than Tampa, but Tampa is much easier to live in for someone who desires a big house in the suburbs and is on a fixed income.

I LIKE many parts of florida, but I won't deny that there are many challenges to living here for someone who is used to a more efficient and courteous area. However, for the past few years the sacrifice was worth it for me. Now, I'm not so sure.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:03 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,122,286 times
Depends on what you consider "ease of living" is - I consider climate, cost of living to be key characteristics of that. For every anecdotal story of a Publix bagger, I can cite a "big city" problem that I've had in either Boston or NYC while there. You people with these major life crises found in Publix deli need to look in the mirror and identify that you're really the reason you're having these issues.

Having lived here in Tampa for 4 yrs and frequented Publix and other grocery stores on a regular basis I can say I've never, ever had the issues that have been listed here. For some reasons these problems seem to follow the same people around wherever they go - I wonder why.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:07 PM

153 posts, read 305,608 times
I love when people who move here from up north complain about the people who live here. "Back north we build better homes, have a faster pace, check out through lines faster, are just better at everything ...." but seem to forget that 99% of the state consists of northerners or people who came here looking for a slower pace and nicer weather.

Guess what - these "crappy compared to up north" houses that northerners are so much better at building are being built by northerners now living here in the south. These same people holding you up in lines at Publix or McDonalds, well guess what, a year ago they lived in New York and were just as ignorant there. All of these aggravating people who now surround you here in Florida were just as aggravating and clueless when they lived up north, so get over it - your complaints hold no water.

You complain about foreigners who come to the US and don't want to adapt to our customs or learn our language, but its ok for you to move to another state and want everything the same as where you come from ... and when it doesn't happen you complain ... endlessly. Please pull your head out of your a$$ and enough already, we get it. I guess one thing that your better at up north than us here in the south is complaining - I'll give you that.

Last edited by Florida Vince; 09-17-2013 at 08:15 PM..

Old 09-17-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Depends on what you consider "ease of living" is - I consider climate, cost of living to be key characteristics of that. For every anecdotal story of a Publix bagger, I can cite a "big city" problem that I've had in either Boston or NYC while there. You people with these major life crises found in Publix deli need to look in the mirror and identify that you're really the reason you're having these issues.
Funny. "You people" "major life crises". Your choice of words belies the hyperbole and emotion in your opinion of things. When I'm late to a meeting because Lizzie doesn't know how to hustle the deli counter during a busy lunch hour:

a. I don't think of it as a "major life crisis"
b. The reason I am now late for my meeting and have a potential loss of business was because what should be a 10 min. or less stop at the deli is a half hour (or more). Personally, I understand after the first few times that is the rule and not the exception here and I plan accordingly. Of course, now when I plan for half hour stop at the deli, Jimmy turns it into 45 minutes since he learned for Lizzie that he doesn't have to hustle. (example)

In the end it will be an adapt or lose situation for the cities in Florida. If business can't get done because of slowness, inefficiency, or slovenly work, then business will eventually move elsewhere. Publix is simply a microcosm of the greater problem faced in many areas of the South. The population is shifting and the cities or states which adapt to the higher demands put on them by higher prosperity will win out and keep that prosperity and build on it even more. I'd rather live in a small beach town in the South than a larger city for this reason. In an economically stagnant area, it's acceptable for me to show up 10 min. late or 20 min. late to a meeting. In a growing and thriving area, I will lose my livelihood. I won't be the only one. Business will slow and the area will recede.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Vince View Post
I love when people who move here from up north complain about the people who live here. "Back north we build better homes, have a faster pace, check out through lines faster, are just better at everything ...." but seem to forget that 99% of the state consists of northerners or people who came here looking for a slower pace and nicer weather.

Guess what - these "crappy compared to up north" houses that northerners are so much better at building are being built by northerners now living here in the south. These same people holding you up in lines at Publix or McDonalds, well guess what, a year ago they lived in New York and were just as ignorant there. All of these aggravating people who now surround you in Florida were just as aggravating and clueless when they lived up north, so get over it - your complaints holds no water

You complain about foreigners who come to the US and don't want to adapt to our customs or learn our language, but its ok for you to move to another state and want everything the same as where you come from ... and when it doesn't happen you complain ... endlessly. Please pull your head out of your a$$ and enough already, we get it. I guess one thing that your better at up north than us here in the south is complaining - I'll give you that.
Generally, your post is a general and factless rant that doesn't hold up to statistics. Only about 2/3 of the population in Florida moved from another state (a far cry from the 99% which you espouse). Since HDI stats among others point to the North Eastern US as the most productive and efficient section of the country, it's clear that North Easterners are not the main source of the issue. The issue is rural/semi-rural vs urban.

ETA: It's not a HUGE problem, but it is an issue here. It's improved quite a bit in the last 10 years, and that's with more people moving in. Not saying native Floridians are bad people, but many find it hard to adapt to the changing way of life. There are benefits to be had to the increased economy being brought by the changes, but if one would rather keep things back then one is free to move about the state or the country. Still plenty of small towns left in Florida.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:31 PM

478 posts, read 594,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffalonianPride View Post
Oh my god. I was in the Tampa Bay Area and I was at the store. It took more than 10 minutes for the person in front of me to get cashed out, and they only had 20 items or so. It seems that everyone, and everything in Florida is so slow. I was at Hollister in the mall, and the employees there took their sweet time. 15 minutes to check out and fold 10 items? Do you see where I'm going with this? Everyone down here talks slow, walks slow, and drives slow. It drives me insane! Why is it so much different than the North East?
Enjoy it.....it's not the rat race, push, push, push life of up North (I'm from New Jersey). While your friends back north will be dying young from stress, anxiety and stroke you will still be alive and living a happier more relaxed life !!!

Old 09-17-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gentleman View Post
Enjoy it.....it's not the rat race, push, push, push life of up North (I'm from New Jersey). While your friends back north will be dying young from stress, anxiety and stroke you will still be alive and living a happier more relaxed life !!!
Florida ranks 22nd for life expectancy, below nearly every state in the North East. There goes that theory You're welcome

Old 09-17-2013, 09:43 PM

20,067 posts, read 12,046,636 times
lol you are all too funny.. as a native- hang on- the Canadains are coming in less than 30 days..Lord help us all.. and leave poor Lizzy alone.. her feet hurt- her kids are home alone and they just cut her hours again. I also saw my stats today for "customer service" .. 9.50 best is 10 -can you believe that... I cant and you are right -in the big cities they tell you to shove it.. Soon the weather will cool and we all will feel better.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:26 AM

153 posts, read 305,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
Generally, your post is a general and factless rant that doesn't hold up to statistics. Only about 2/3 of the population in Florida moved from another state (a far cry from the 99% which you espouse). Since HDI stats among others point to the North Eastern US as the most productive and efficient section of the country, it's clear that North Easterners are not the main source of the issue. The issue is rural/semi-rural vs urban.
I apologize, my "guesstimate" was only off by a third. In you eyes that makes you right. So if people from up north are not the issue as you stated, are you insinuating that native Floridians (I've met maybe 5 in my time here) are the reason for the issues here? One third of the population is making it harder for the other, more efficient two thirds? Thats a pretty bold statement if you ask me - and highly ignorant.

I am from up north too (Baltimore / DC area) and can promise you that I do not need to hide behind efficiency and productivity statistics to make a point. The fact of the matter is that SOME people (not a general rant) can not deal with change. No matter where they are at in life, the world or wherever they end up at, they are never happy and endlessly complain about things that others can simply deal with.

Statistics or not, you have no clue about what it means to be here. I live here and enjoy the more laid back atmosphere - and my blood pressure and health will tell you the same (I'm only 40). I moved here for that reason, better weather, a slower pace and a great job opportunity - not to change everyone around me.

If 66% of the population here in FL is from another, more efficient area then why are you complaining about it being so inefficient here? Shouldn't all of these "efficient" people make things better? I just don't get the wining about 10 minutes late here, 20 minutes late there .... I have been here for 15 years and have never been late to anything unless it was my own fault. How about a little accountability for your own actions and stop trying to be the accountant for the general population here in FL?

If living here doesn't work for you - then move. It's that simple. We'll be just fine.

Last edited by Florida Vince; 09-18-2013 at 05:39 AM..

Old 09-18-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Vince View Post
I apologize, my "guesstimate" was only off by a third. In you eyes that makes you right. So if people from up north are not the issue as you stated, are you insinuating that native Floridians (I've met maybe 5 in my time here) are the reason for the issues here? One third of the population is making it harder for the other, more efficient two thirds? Thats a pretty bold statement if you ask me - and highly ignorant.

I am from up north too (Baltimore / DC area) and can promise you that I do not need to hide behind efficiency and productivity statistics to make a point. The fact of the matter is that SOME people (not a general rant) can not deal with change. No matter where they are at in life, the world or wherever they end up at, they are never happy and endlessly complain about things that others can simply deal with.

Statistics or not, you have no clue about what it means to be here. I live here and enjoy the more laid back atmosphere - and my blood pressure and health will tell you the same (I'm only 40). I moved here for that reason, better weather, a slower pace and a great job opportunity - not to change everyone around me.

If 66% of the population here in FL is from another, more efficient area then why are you complaining about it being so inefficient here? Shouldn't all of these "efficient" people make things better? I just don't get the wining about 10 minutes late here, 20 minutes late there .... I have been here for 15 years and have never been late to anything unless it was my own fault. How about a little accountability for your own actions and stop trying to be the accountant for the general population here in FL?

If living here doesn't work for you - then move. It's that simple. We'll be just fine.
I stated that its not that bad here, you must have missed that. Yes, there is a problem in some parts of Florida with inefficiency. I said that was due to a rural vs urban thing. One does not hide behind statistics. I simply do not post or form my opinions from an emotional place (like you and many others are doing) And sorry, but if Im late because of bad service in a store, there is no responsibility for me to take. Besides, Im from New England and everyone know we think ill of the whole rest of the country, not just the south
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay