U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 06:43 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,605,035 times

Advertisements

I have to agree.......

It's not that we're in a rush, we're forced to "appear" as if in a rush, because people don't really understand traffic laws here, the driving exam is a joke, and BECAUSE there are so many NY-ers here who have not driven a day in their lives in NYC (cause they don't need to up there), they all come here and have no idea how to merge on a highway, or what those numbers on the road mean....(speed limit); but there is no excuse for Publix (and their advertising & marketing teams) to hold us hostage at the deli! That is unacceptable. I visited various countries in Europe where they have deli stores...so , not just a section in a grocery store, and never that I spent more than 5 minutes...and that was with buying more than one item.

The reason most are slow is not because they're necessarily retired, it is an advertising thing to keep you in there long enough that you will buy something else while you're waiting cause you're bored and your mind goes: "maybe I need this too...." when in fact you don't.

BTW At my Publix, I complained more than once to the manager for making me wait there for several minutes. You should also know that people call in orders, however they should have hired other people to handle that an not use those who are supposed to serve those waiting right there.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:05 AM

4,812 posts, read 3,462,148 times
I dont get the publix criticism. I never have a problem getting deli products, never more than a 5 min wait, it probably has to do with the fact that we have 4 publix plus a greenwise in a 2 mile radius. The deli sandwiches you can order ahead of time, i have ordered from my phone while i was shopping and it would be ready in time for check out. The publix near carillion parkway in St pete gets insanely packed but thats because there is 50 people trying to get a sandwich during lunch.
Ever since Zipcars came out most NYC people rent cars to go to the shore, upstate, IKEA things like that so few people don;t know how to drive. The people that have no interest in learning how to drive or dont want to drive are not the same people moving to Tampa.

Last edited by DUNNDFRNT; 09-16-2013 at 07:18 AM..

Old 09-16-2013, 07:17 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,103,626 times
Sometimes you have to adjust your expectations - being frustrated may be your own fault. If you go to a deli around lunch hour, you can expect a wait. Some of you think the world revolves around you and that you shouldn't experience any of the day-to-day frustrations that we all deal with.

You're the same people that weave from lane to lane on the roadways trying to get up an extra car length. Its really fun to watch you not only on the roadways, but in lines at Publix as you change from one line to another......same principle.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:19 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 808,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffalonianPride View Post
Oh my god. I was in the Tampa Bay Area and I was at the store. It took more than 10 minutes for the person in front of me to get cashed out, and they only had 20 items or so. It seems that everyone, and everything in Florida is so slow. I was at Hollister in the mall, and the employees there took their sweet time. 15 minutes to check out and fold 10 items? Do you see where I'm going with this? Everyone down here talks slow, walks slow, and drives slow. It drives me insane! Why is it so much different than the North East?
It's just a different lifestyle. The pace of life is much, much slower here than in the northeast. It's not as slow as the real South or, dear goodness, the Caribbean. But it's slow. That pace of life is why we moved here from the northeast -- we wanted to slow down. It's funny, when my family from the northeast comes to visit, they always get frustrated with how slow service is. Then I remind them that I get to be really slow at work, too. They're usually still not happy, but they do shut up about it. I would note that lots of folks thrive on that fast northeastern pace. Nothing wrong with that; just a different lifestyle.

To some other posts about the Publix deli, you don't need to stand there and wait. You can hand them a list of what you want and come back to pick it up later. If you forgot paper/pen, they'll give them to you. You can also place a deli order online before you go to the store, and it'll be there waiting for you. Nothing here is fast, but Publix is the most service-oriented grocery store I've ever been in.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:41 AM

15,112 posts, read 31,000,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Maybe the problem isn't that the people working here are slow, maybe it's because some customers from up north are rude and impatient.
What she said ^^^^ You rude and impatient people from up north don't like it here, then please stay where you are or leave. We like it "laid-back." And for the record, I haven't encountered anything overly "slow" anywhere I have lived - only on occasion, which is likely to happen anywhere depending on who is in line.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:43 AM

8,071 posts, read 5,369,275 times
In my opinion it's not the cashiers that are slow, it's usually a combination of slow customer (especially older people who biologically have slower brains) and understaffed retail stores

The Publix deli workers are usually doing many things at the same time so to some people they might look slow. Also many customers tend to go at the same time of the day.

I am more annoyed by customers who complain and they need to inform others that they are either from NY, the Midwest or New England. Who cares where you are from? Your superiority complex and bad attitude doesn't make the line run faster.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:50 AM

403 posts, read 352,794 times
Why do people come to the South and complain things aren't like it is in the Northeast?

Old 09-16-2013, 08:25 AM

3,011 posts, read 4,830,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffalonianPride View Post
Why is it so much different than the North East?
Because it's not the northeast. And that is a good thing.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:38 AM

824 posts, read 2,537,964 times
As far as driving goes, I notice more fast and unsafe drivers than I see slow ones. As for the lines at various establishments, this boils down to only one thing: inconsiderate shoppers. It isn't the clerks/store workers that are slow. Just pay attention to it one day the next time you're out. Sit at the drive thru, and listen to the person at McDonald's in front of you order 5 value meals, each one with different specifics (no mayo, extra mayo, no pickles, no salt on the fries, etc. ad nauseum). Then go through the toll plaza and watch as some inconsiderate jerk asks the toll booth operator how to get to Tampa International, when they have a GPS in their car and on their phone. Then get in line at the Publix deli counter as the lady before you samples various meats and cheeses, like it's a dang smorgasbord, making 20 minutes to complete her order of paper-thin sliced turkey breast and muenster cheese, after she has eaten pretty much everything. Or go to Starbucks, and watch as the lady in front of you takes your caramel frappuccino even though she placed her order 5 people behind you, now you have to sit and wait for hers to be made and snatch it up before some other inconsiderate idiot does it again.
Now that Tampa is overcrowded, you will see more and more people not letting other cars merge in traffic, more people deliberately cutting lines, and more people not considering their fellow man/woman. It is a "me me me" generation after all, and instead of realizing there are 10 people behind you waiting for you to finish your transaction at Wal mart, you engage the lady working the register in an enthralling conversation of what you did this weekend while she waits for you to enter your PIN. Aaaaaaaargh!

Old 09-16-2013, 08:42 AM

824 posts, read 2,537,964 times
oh, and if you want SLOOOW, then go to Hawaii and experience "island time". Or the Keys, where Jimmy Buffet's music hypnotizes people into a mind-numbing state of zombie-esque behavior coupled with a fruity alcoholic beverage in each hand. Those places are the slowest places I have ever experienced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay