U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 12:51 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,150,780 times

Advertisements

The first week I moved here I'm in CVS in line. I'm getting rung up and the person behind me has milk dripping and puts it on the floor.

RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF RINGING ME UP....the cashier stops scanning my few items...sashays arounnnnnd the counter...with paper towels....takes her time walking over to the person behind me and OOOOPENNSSSSS up a pack of paper towels....picks up the milk, examines the lid, examines the container, examines the 360 view, examines the rug.... and starts DABBING the carpet with the paper towels. While I wait to get finished being rung up.

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? I was jumping out of my skin.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-17-2013 at 01:07 AM..

Old 09-17-2013, 12:56 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,150,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
They arent showing you the slice, they want you to taste it. 25 minutes wait time? Must be a lot of folks ahead of you. Take a number, go about your shopping, stop back at the deli and you won't be wasting all that time.
HAHA no. They are showing you the slice to see if you want it thicker or thinner. THEN they ask if you want the slice. You never knew that? I'm eyerolling now LOL.

You're kidding right? When have you EVER IN A LIFETIME heard Publix call out numbers all over the store loudspeaker for people who are waiting for their number to be called? (yes they DO do that up North, though in some stores)

Or do we need to sprint up and down each isle to make sure they didn't pass the number.

Now that I think of it I can't remember the last time I ever saw a Publix deli person even call a number. But I do hear lots of "Who's next?"

What's your suggestion if I don't HAVE to go shop for anything to kill time for the deli?

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-17-2013 at 01:04 AM..

Old 09-17-2013, 01:22 AM

14,269 posts, read 15,870,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You guys sure like to bash northerners, a demographic that i would imagine brings down and spends enormous amounts of money and probably goes a long way to keeping the state financially afloat, its rather odd logic to live in a place that relies so heavily on tourism then do nothing but trash the tourists.
I'm a northerner, born & raised in Boston, so I don't understand your comment. I was responding to the OP and said "some" northerners. I didn't mention tourists, snowbirds or any other specific group of people.

Anyway, I think the service at Publix is excellent. Sometimes a new cashier might have trouble ringing up something that didn't scan properly, but I don't see anyone just being lazy. There's a big difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
as for checkout lines i've got that down pat,which ever line i get in will be the slowest line so why stress about it.
I agree, although I like the self-service checkout in Walmart.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:35 AM

34,266 posts, read 41,311,916 times
My point was Floridians propensity to bash northerners whether tourist or transplant,your general alluding to northerners in a derogatory manner gave me a segue into posting my point. I suppose quoting you was an unecessary piece of redundancy..
While those cashierless checkout machines look tempting at times i still would rather see an employed cashier behind the cash.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:51 AM

20,095 posts, read 12,058,183 times
Completely ignored--- the company doesn't care its all about their profits and you don't care- it is all about your needs. signed local cashier

Old 09-17-2013, 07:01 AM

4,817 posts, read 3,468,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
HAHA no. They are showing you the slice to see if you want it thicker or thinner. THEN they ask if you want the slice. You never knew that? I'm eyerolling now LOL.

You're kidding right? When have you EVER IN A LIFETIME heard Publix call out numbers all over the store loudspeaker for people who are waiting for their number to be called? (yes they DO do that up North, though in some stores)

Or do we need to sprint up and down each isle to make sure they didn't pass the number.

Now that I think of it I can't remember the last time I ever saw a Publix deli person even call a number. But I do hear lots of "Who's next?"

What's your suggestion if I don't HAVE to go shop for anything to kill time for the deli?
Publix has tablets mounted on stands so you can place an order then continue shopping. I have also seen people get a number order then leave, but I guess you would have to wait to order. At any rate you can order from your phone, tablet, computer before you leave your house so thats is ready when you get there, I think the prospect of someone going to publix just for cold cuts seems unlikely and even less likely that you would be driving by a publix and all of the sudden decide to stop for cold cuts.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:18 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,219,488 times
Sounds to me that you would be much happier "up north".

I base my decision on thick or thin by the way the slice tastes not the look. I eat with my mouth, not my eyes.

No, they dont call numbers over the PA system, but they do call the number as they change the number board. They call the next number and if no reply call the next number until someone speaks up and says "that's me". I spent 30 years of my life "up north" and waiting your turn at the deli counter was no different there than it is at my local Publix.

If the wait time is as long as you claim then there is no need to "sprint".

Do yourself a favor and avoid the Publix deli at all costs. It will help you prevent a stroke.
However, if you must go there I would think of pre ordering if you dont wait to wait. Perhaps you can adjust your shopping hours to a time where the store is less crowded. I have waited to be served at Publix deli like anyone else. The 3 or 4 clerks behind the counter all follow the same basic procedure when it comes to the handling of the product.

Quote:

Old 09-17-2013, 07:21 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,219,488 times
Does something like this happen to you wherever you shop? Does it happen often? Calm down, relax. Life is hectic enough, an extra minute or two isnt going to kill you, but jumping out of your skin sure will.

Quote:
The first week I moved here I'm in CVS in line. I'm getting rung up and the person behind me has milk dripping and puts it on the floor.

RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF RINGING ME UP....the cashier stops scanning my few items...sashays arounnnnnd the counter...with paper towels....takes her time walking over to the person behind me and OOOOPENNSSSSS up a pack of paper towels....picks up the milk, examines the lid, examines the container, examines the 360 view, examines the rug.... and starts DABBING the carpet with the paper towels. While I wait to get finished being rung up.

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? I was jumping out of my skin.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:27 AM

6,587 posts, read 6,804,276 times
When I first moved down here I found the service in restaurants way too slow...I was used to NYC where they wanted to turn the tables over faster and you could me in and out at lunchtime in a half hour if you wanted...I found if you went into a non-chain restaurant for a sandwich it could take an hour +! At the time I had a 3yr old and to wait that long for a burger or tuna sandwich could be hell!!! But like I've said before I have learned patience and my 3yr old is now 19!!! Now why it takes 10 seconds for people to move their cars when the light turns green...that's something I'll never get over!!!

Old 09-17-2013, 07:43 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,734,635 times
Jeez, what is with so many of you being in a rush for everything?

Slow down, enjoy every experience, start a conversation, or admire something from outside looking in. No need to speed by everything in life. If so, you need to free up more time somehow or get places earlier.

If you think Florida is bad, you'd have never made it in South Carolina or Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay