Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 07:45 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,099,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
When I first moved down here I found the service in restaurants way too slow...I was used to NYC where they wanted to turn the tables over faster and you could me in and out at lunchtime in a half hour if you wanted...I found if you went into a non-chain restaurant for a sandwich it could take an hour +! At the time I had a 3yr old and to wait that long for a burger or tuna sandwich could be hell!!! But like I've said before I have learned patience and my 3yr old is now 19!!! Now why it takes 10 seconds for people to move their cars when the light turns green...that's something I'll never get over!!!
1. Maybe they wanted you to enjoy yourself? Take in the experience? Not be rushed out and made to feel like a check but a customer?

2. Do those 10 seconds really ruin your day? 10 seconds.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:56 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,892,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Does something like this happen to you wherever you shop? Does it happen often? Calm down, relax. Life is hectic enough, an extra minute or two isnt going to kill you, but jumping out of your skin sure will.
Calm down....It's Florida!!

Old 09-17-2013, 09:29 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
Calm down....It's Florida!!
That's such a cliched thing to say..... "calm down, it's florida"....
so what?

I dont care if I'm in Hawaii or Guam. I don't want to have to wait an ungodly amount of time for a half a pound of low-quality publix deli meat. It's just not necessary. I have things to do...a life to attend to. I dont have 30 extra minutes to hang out in a Publix deli line watching a bunch of old ppl saunter around looking lost or babies screaming in their shopping cart. It's a nightmare. It's not that difficult of a concept:.... to take a customer's order and get it to the customer is a reasonable amount of time. I would be satisfied with a 7 to 10 minute wait...really. But I can't even get that.

Often times, I've just left.
In fact, about 2 weeks ago, I had gone to Publix on a sunday evening...like 7pm. Place was packed, ok fine, it's a sunday, whatever. I was deciding on whether I wanted to grab lunch meat and make my own sub at home....or order a sub right there. The determining factor was which line will move faster.... the sub line or the del line. ......well, guess what? They were both like 9 to 10 people deep. One customer was yelling at the deli lady and over in the sub line, some teenage kid was ordering like 7 subs, so that was gonna take forever.. I just straight up left. I had a basket full of grocerries too. Just left it all there--- didnt care. I'm not waiting another 30-40 minutes in the chaotic Publix deli/sub lines and refused to be subjected to the circus that is Publix customer service. I was quite irritated. Drove 15 minutes away to a Whole Foods..... Needless to say, left quickly and the service was efficient and was in and out.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:25 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,650,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
1. Maybe they wanted you to enjoy yourself? Take in the experience? Not be rushed out and made to feel like a check but a customer?

2. Do those 10 seconds really ruin your day? 10 seconds.
1. I don't mind it now so much...it was when I had a 3yr old, I didn't want to always do the fast food thing with her...to wait 30 minutes for a sandwich with a hungry 3yr.old is not fun...only so much coloring is going to keep them content. 2. It's the 10 seconds per car that can get you stuck for another 4 minutes trying to cross US 19!!!

Old 09-17-2013, 10:30 AM

For Publix I have found the best way to order is make a list drop it off at the deli when I come in...shop for other items...then swing by on my way to check out...I only by Boarshead (msp?)...I think it's a quality brand...

Old 09-17-2013, 10:57 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,188 times
lose all your expectations of the way life should be before coming here, period.....florida is generally a slow, hot, old, backwards, non-intellectual, non innovative, uber transient place. expect anything different and you will lose your mind.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
lose all your expectations of the way life should be before coming here, period.....florida is generally a slow, hot, old, backwards, non-intellectual, non innovative, uber transient place. expect anything different and you will lose your mind.
Wow you don't read that in the Florida relocation brochures!!!

Old 09-17-2013, 11:05 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Wow you don't read that in the Florida relocation brochures!!!
lol, even if you did i bet it wouldnt deter half the people that move here. the sunshine pipedream is an awfully powerful illusion to disgruntled people elsewhere with nothing to lose.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:43 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Maybe Florida would be more pleasant for some of you disgruntled transplants if you made an effort to be patient, friendly and polite once in awhile. You get as good as you give, which by reading some of your posts......

and I'll stop there!!!

Old 09-17-2013, 12:05 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,406 times
You're right Spring! It is Florida, and like anywhere else people go to work, dentist appointments, take kids to school, and it is not some deserted Island where only Turtles live! It's called being "efficient" which has nothing to do with Geography!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay