U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 10:05 AM

484 posts, read 615,448 times

Advertisements

Wear sunglasses.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:07 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,607,000 times
For us, it is a day trip there....(and not only for us), so IF we go, it is a whole day thing...
Sunset is not at 5pm, so let's assume I paid admission for my whole family $136, and we want a photo with the sunset in the background! Well, we can't do that there because for those who already paid admission and are in the park sunset is not available; we have to be kicked out so the park stays open for 2, 3 people, if that until 7pm. That is a ridiculous thing to do, considering that there aren't that many people using that facility after hours to make them enough profits! Its is predatory to take a public place and restrict it for a few people that "might" be there. If they want to do that, then they should do that on 2 days a week, and let the rest of us enjoy that place for the rest of the time. We paid admission. We're customers.

[quote=Spring Hillian;31432314]The place closes to the general public at 5 p.m. Do you really think they set their hours so people could not shoot a sunset with their families? How about a card and gift shop (or pick any business you want). They all have operating hours. Do you expect them to have staff available for people who shopw up at 7 p.m. because they need a card at that moment?

Expecting a business to adjust their hours to your liking is insane. However, it is quite apparent that you can pay a fee to them for them allowing things to happen in the off hours. They have to pay employees over time to accommodate those events, keep systems up and running that may not be up and running during normal business hours. Your expectations on this one far exceed the normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Read above, I explained.

I don't want photos of my kids with squinting eyes! If we go between 10am and 5pm, all they'll have is squinting eyes...They have an area for sunset watching, and sunset is not before 5pm. Hence, if I go there during their operating hours, I won't be able to take a shot of my kids with a beautiful sunset in the background. They restricted "business" hours to those horrible daytime hours no respectable photographer photographs during.

This is a public place, and not someone's home, as in a private residence, and their policies are against visitors.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Dear PhotoProIP,

DUNNDFRNT has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - If you have a camera (any camera) stay away from Shelby Gardens - in the Tampa Bay forum of City-Data Forum.

This thread is located at:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...-new-post.html

Here is the message that has just been posted:
Its quite irrelevant who pays, those fees need to be paid whether its the ad agency or the photographer it does not matter to the venue, You are right they have no way of knowing of you are using it in a commercial format, but its kind of the honor system, plus if you are shooting a commercial i think the $200 an hour would be the least of your worries, well worth not having people on your way. You should expect to pay if you are using the facility outside of their operating hours.
Actually it is quite relevant! Why would these people held a public place hostage from potential customers?
The photographer is not the one who pays to book that place when it comes to a wedding or a commercial shoot.

Whomever drew that policy was NOT familiar with how things work; they are trying to put the fees on the photographers backs, when the photographers are not the ones who get to BOOK a place.

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying; I am not saying that the wedding party shouldn't pay, or the ad agency, but THEY should be charged to use the facility and NOT the photographer who has no say in booking these commercial shoots, or weddings.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:11 AM

But if its cloudy - there really could just be no spectacular sunset at all, or even worse - a storm! How would you know in advance of the possible sunset-expectations if you must be there the entire day? You could totally blow it by simply choosing the wrong day.

For real though, if you think they should stay open to the public longer - give them a (nice) suggestion.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamatem View Post
Wear sunglasses.
Why? why would I do that? I want to see their eyes!

Old 09-16-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
But if its cloudy - there really could just be no spectacular sunset at all, or even worse - a storm! How would you know in advance of the possible sunset-expectations if you must be there the entire day? You could totally blow it by simply choosing the wrong day.

For real though, if you think they should stay open to the public longer - give them a (nice) suggestion.
How would I know in advance? Hmm...did you really ask that? I have weather on my phone, and a GPS app that tells me "where" the sun is going to be at various times of the day. And guess what, after November 1st, there isn't that much rain going on here until June 1st...No clouds either...just plain blue skies, and there's a marina right behind it, so, the background is great at any given time...I am storm cloud chaser, and here in Florida we have the BEST CLOUDS ANYWHERE...so that too, could make me a gorgeous backdrop.

However, THAT is the whole point, if Tuesday it poured half way on our trip, and we had to leave by 2pm, then I can go back the next day...and try again...but with the restriction put on the hours for those paying admission, I can't even do that!

Old 09-16-2013, 10:21 AM

How simple is it - if you want a *private* venue to allow you to be on the premises after business hours - you have to pay a fee/premium.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:52 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,209,160 times
Yes indeed it is so simple, isn't it. I dont see how anyone could expect otherwise.
The OP's statement are ridiculous.

Quote:
How simple is it - if you want a *private* venue to allow you to be on the premises after business hours - you have to pay a fee/premium.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
"Prior to her death in June, 1971, Marie prepared a special trust that would create and maintain a public botanical garden on the property that was her home. During this same period, Dr. and Mrs. James Paulk, who then owned the Christy Payne Mansion, were battling termites, worn wiring, insulation, bursting water pipes, and coping living in the house without air conditioning. In 1973, the Paulks sold their home to Selby Gardens with the understanding that it would become part of the gardens."

Old 09-16-2013, 10:55 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,209,160 times
Please tell us how you justify demanding any business make their operations revolve around the setting of the sun or any other criteria for that matter. I guess you feel entitled to a free admission on a day when its not going to rain as well.

\
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
How would I know in advance? Hmm...did you really ask that? I have weather on my phone, and a GPS app that tells me "where" the sun is going to be at various times of the day. And guess what, after November 1st, there isn't that much rain going on here until June 1st...No clouds either...just plain blue skies, and there's a marina right behind it, so, the background is great at any given time...I am storm cloud chaser, and here in Florida we have the BEST CLOUDS ANYWHERE...so that too, could make me a gorgeous backdrop.

However, THAT is the whole point, if Tuesday it poured half way on our trip, and we had to leave by 2pm, then I can go back the next day...and try again...but with the restriction put on the hours for those paying admission, I can't even do that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or