Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2013, 11:35 AM

1,139 posts, read 3,465,434 times

Advertisements

Am looking to buy a used car to replace my existing Nissan Altima(which doesn't start anymore and will have to donate it for tax deduction or junk it) and wondering what the process is to transfer current tag from Altima to the next car?

The car am looking to buy is from a private individual and it has FL registration.

1. As long as I have the bill of sale or the signed title from the seller, will that be enough to go to tax collector's office or DMV and transfer existing tag and get a title?
  2. Do I need to add the car to my current insurance policy before the tag can be transferred?
  3. Do I need the seller to be present in person during the title transfer?

Link: Directory of Services - Florida Title Transfer

Thanks!

Last edited by Tampaite; 09-16-2013 at 11:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 05:57 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,462,030 times
YES. Bill of Sale and Title
NO. Do not need insurance, but I would do it anyway!
NO. Does not need to be present

KEEP YOUR LICENSE PLATE!

Just did this. Had to have the DMV inspect the Vehicle ID Number as it was older (1971 VW Bus - Restored) and from out of State.

Tell them you already have a plate. They will just transfer that vice buying a new one. Will save you some money.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:12 AM

KEEP YOUR LICENSE PLATE!

Just did this. Had to have the DMV inspect the Vehicle ID Number as it was older (1971 VW Bus - Restored) and from out of State.

Tell them you already have a plate. They will just transfer that vice buying a new one. Will save you some money.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:13 AM

6 posts, read 28,335 times
Default Hello

If you want to sale your used Nissan Altima, then you need to get the Salvage title for your car. Below are the details of how you avail the salvage tag:

Determine the Vehicle’s Status

* Figure out the status of the vehicle.
* Try to prevent the car from being deemed “abandoned.”

How To Conduct a Lien Sale

* Understand lien sales
* Request registration information from the DMV.
* Fill out and submit a form declaring your intent to conduct a lien sale.
* On the sale date, make the vehicle available for inspection at least one hour prior to the sale.
* If you get no buyer, claim the car for yourself.
* Once you receive approval, register and title the car in your name.

How To Get Ownership of a Salvage Vehicle

* If the abandoned vehicle is a salvage vehicle, it no longer has a title, but rather a salvage certificate.
* Provide evidence of the bill of sale.
* If your state requires it, complete a form disclosing the reading of the odometer.
* Submit a form to re-register the salvage vehicle.
* Have the vehicle inspected.

How To Get Ownership of a Junked Vehicle

* Apply for title or registration
* Get a receipt from the DMV certifying that the vehicle is junked.
* Have the vehicle inspected.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:30 AM

1,139 posts, read 3,465,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post

KEEP YOUR LICENSE PLATE!

Thank you..Just wrapped up yesterday evening.

Having the title completely filled and signed from the seller is helpful.
Insurance wasn't needed but I added the car to my account online before I went to the tax collector's office and was able to transfer the existing license plate.
Just make sure that you take your license plate and the decal showing existing registration or you need to take the registration stub.

Overall, it was a quick experience at the tax collector's office on Water's Ave.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:00 AM

Very good. Glad it worked out for you. Yes, mine went extremely quick also!

Still hard to see my 18 year old driving around in that Bus, but the company that restored it did an incredible job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay