U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 08:06 AM

638 posts, read 1,202,457 times

Advertisements

Thanks, everyone - I agree there is little new construction close to downtown Tampa. Most of it is out near Riverview, etc. or farther north. I'll keep studying online and drive through or by any communities of potential interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 08:22 AM

8,706 posts, read 8,777,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenpearl View Post
Thanks, everyone - I agree there is little new construction close to downtown Tampa. Most of it is out near Riverview, etc. or farther north. I'll keep studying online and drive through or by any communities of potential interest.
How about South Tampa? New homes are being built there in the $250k - $300k range.

Builders have new plan for South Tampa homes - WFLA-TV News Channel 8

Old 09-20-2013, 08:36 AM

Thanks Prius - I drove by those yesterday! The Ashton Woods neighborhood looked nice, but not quite what I was looking for. They were all two-story homes, and the second story of one they were working on was wood frame. I would prefer a one-story all concrete block home in this type of climate.

Still, I may take a drive down there again, as I saw some other homes scattered around in individual neighborhoods.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:38 AM

3,378 posts, read 7,868,626 times
Also a good thing to note. South Tampa floods often. Not only is it inconvenient but Flood Insurance would likely be required.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:47 AM

Yes, that was a consideration. And the nicer parts of it, close to downtown where I and most everyone else would like to be, really have nothing available, so I'm now focusing on other areas which are more convenient to things than most of south Tampa.

Is sinkhole insurance required by insurance companies in the areas all around Tampa?

Old 09-23-2013, 02:37 PM

3,923 posts, read 10,291,180 times
Henderson (the feeder road to Mushinski) gets congested in the morning and the afternoon. There's a daycare on the northside and a new charter school on the southside. Additionally on the south side is Linebaugh which is mad crazy with Westchase traffic during commuter hours. It's tolerable though and only lasts a brief period each business day. As a side note, The Children's Home on Mushinski does great things.

For new homes in Carrollwood, Standard Pacific has a couple of one story plans at The Retreat At Carrollwood. There are more new home options, but I don't know your price range.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:08 PM

I looked at a place called Ravinia. They are villas which are attached by one wall, all single level, and the community seems targeted for adults and retirees rather than families, although there is no age restriction. I'm a young retiree with no kids, so that would be fine with me.

I was just unsure about the area. It does not have the looks or charm of what I'm used to seeing in places like St. Pete, Bradenton, etc. -- but those are more resort-oriented, vacation places.

I've also driven into a community called Palm Bay in Town and Country. I would think flood insurance there might be expensive though. Do you know anything about the desirability of that community, or any problems?

Old 09-23-2013, 03:50 PM

3,923 posts, read 10,291,180 times
I'm familiar with both places. Ravinia is a nice but a bit out of place I think. Most of the surrounding area is older residential. There are some government subsidized apartments on Henderson which isn't bad but sometimes brings problems. Logan Gate has issues, too. You can look up crime by address on SpotCrime Crime Map.

Palm Bay is a very nice community. The houses do require flood insurance as they're located in Zone A which is expensive. If you have no mortgage, it's easier to negotiate coverage and cost. There's also a CDD (Community Development District) which increases the real estate taxes. Lexington Homes built some (if not all) of those homes and they are mini-fortresses. Steel beams and poured concrete which is extremely rare here. It is gated and there's a little sandy beach and boat dock with lift for residents of the small community. No problems in the community itself but again, the surrounding area has some crime.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:36 PM

I note that the home I looked at in Palm Bay was about 20 feet above sea level, per my GPS; but it had some deep puddling in the backyard up to the wall of the residence after the rains today. It looked like you'd have to walk through about a foot of water. I've seen this in other yards in Tampa also. I wonder if this signifies a rising water table underneath which could cause trouble for the residence? Or is this nothing but some yard flooding which happens everywhere?

Old 09-24-2013, 04:34 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,828,405 times
The one thing about Tampa Bay rain is that it rains hard during the thunderstorms but the puddles it leaves usually it dissipates quickly thanks to the sandy soil. Not to say that it can't flood and it does especially in S. Tpa as noted above. I have seen streets flooded after a really hard rain but it doesn't take long for it to drain off. One time on Westshore the water was knee high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay