Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 01:43 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,118,057 times

Advertisements

You do know that "Right to Work State" means you can't be forced to join a union in order to get a job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaduranie View Post
I am a medical assistant with 4 years experience. I can tell you that the pay scale is definitely much lower here than other places because Florida is a "right-to-work" state. What I can also tell you is that if you don't have your certification, and/or more than 2 yrs experience, you can expect to be in the $10/hr range as opposed to the $13/hr range. If you live alone, this can make it really tough to "eke" out a living here, and chances are you won't have much disposable income to go out on the single's scene. There are plenty of places to find that - the Tampa/St. Pete area has a plethora of opportunities, but the social scene is not cheap.

One bedroom apartments in a decent area will cost you about $700-$800 a month and the public transport here is not wonderful.

Also, you should know that it is unbelievably HOT and HUMID here about 6 mos out of the year, and seems wonderful the first couple of years if you are moving here from a cold climate, but then after about the 3rd or 4th year you will grow to hate the heat and miss the seasonal changes.

Just my $.02 worth. Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 01:44 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,451,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyer232 View Post
I am actually a mets fan and Jets fan. I know I pick all the bad teams. Long island is great in the summer time. I love the hamptons and places like Sag harbor and Muttontown but I could never afford to live there. Also...10-13 an hour for a medical assistant down there? Up here on long island they start you off at about 15-20 bucks an hour. Its hard to get a med assistant job out of school up here. I tried North shore LIJ but its very hard. I would also like to look at Clearwater, Hyde park and some areas like Dunedin. At least I know my people (fellow ex long islanders are down there)
I used to vacation by Sag Harbor when I was a kid! We went to Shelter Island. I grew up in Mass,and moved to Tampa about 5 1/2 years ago. Yes, cost of living is lower here, but so is the income though. I do love eastern long island, but way too expensive to live here!

Old 10-10-2013, 08:23 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,077,340 times
Welcome to the forum. I was a transplant too - but with family in early 40s. We owned a home at the beach for 10 years before we made the move from overseas. We love it here, settled (though I always miss my English rain!) and part of the scenery now.

If you are to move to the area, as a single, with a hope of meeting someone significant, I would highly recommend downtown St Pete or as near as you can afford to be.

The chances of meeting people there are - I would say - the highest in any part of the Bay area.
There is a lot of outdoor 'culture' arts, markets, events, exercise, activity etc etc. There is a very varied bar/restaurant/club scene and its all walkable and if you have a home close by, its perfect. Its also a growing hub for light/tech industry, major medical and university tie ins. Property and job chances are only going to increase here. If I could, I would sell up and move, we just need to get our second one out of college and we are FREE!

With Johns Hopkins/all Childrens/Bayfront within biking of most of NE st pete, you can't go wrong with jobs either.

Good luck to you

Old 10-11-2013, 07:02 PM

186 posts, read 217,587 times
Thanks for all the insight guys. Can anyone tell me what Medical Assistant Certification is most coveted down there in Tampa bay? I have a certification from NHA. National Health Care association. They were the certifying body my school used. I also have an EKG Certification as well. Can anyone also tell me how are job opportunities for home care like HHA or Patient Care? What is the job market like down there for those and also the pay? I want to move to Tampa bay for a better quality of life but I don't want to work for very low pay and be broke down there either. Not sure what type jobs there pay decent money.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:11 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,332,972 times
Singles scene isn't really good anywhere when you are in your 40s. lol. As a bar fly I would say it is worse here than other places I have seen though. Lots of people in their 40s are off building their careers in other cities.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:28 PM

Thanks Guys. Can anyone tell me what Medical assistant certification is coveted down in Tampa bay? Mine is from NHA which is the certifying body my school uses. Also what type of jobs are in demand down in Tampa bay that pay well? I want to move to Tampa bay for a better quality of life and a better social life but I don't want to work jobs where I am going to be broke all the time.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:31 PM

Wow sorry to hear the singles scene is not what you like Traveler. I heard that St Petersburg and South Tampa is where the action is at. Maybe try a dating matchmaker to meet someone. I hear the bar scene is not the best way to meet people.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:53 PM

7 posts, read 6,095 times
Preferred cert. is from AAMA for MA's that took courses through a program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES).
Hospitals do not hire MA's for on the floor - only Nurses and CNA's, but MA's could potentially get a job doing patient registration, clerical, etc. MA's mostly work in dr offices/urgent care, and outpatient/surgery clinics.
As for living in downtown St. Pete - I'm not too sure about that -seems like there is alot of crime there. South Tampa is very nice, but also very pricey. South Tampa/Hyde Park has alot of nightlife and cultural activities, but is mostly made up of old money.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:09 PM

Thanks for the info. Yeah I heard South Tampa is a great place. Maybe I should look into Tampa but not too far away from South Tampa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay