Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 01:00 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,379,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabbz View Post
I noticed that all of the areas that you mentioned are predominately black neighborhoods in Tampa. What makes you feel unsafe in those areas? I am white and I have been in most of those neighborhoods and have never had a single problem. There are bad areas all over Tampa, and black neighborhood or not I would probably not walk alone out there at night if it is a bad area. I am just curious as to why people have this assumption that just because a neighboorhood is mostly black, that it is unsafe? Have you been a victim of a crime in one of these neighborhoods with a story to back up what you are saying? My ex used to live in one neighborhood you mentioned, near hillsborough and nebraska east of I 275. I never had a single problem in this neighboorhood....
The only areas I mentioned above that are predomitely black would be just north of Ybor City......'Suitcase City'(the area just West of USF) is very mixed and very transient.....Drew Park is just not the nicest of areas(alot of seedy adult theaters, adult spas, industrial type businesses.....East Tampa is very mixed...I too have some friends that live in Seminole Heights east of Nebraska Ave near Hillsborough Ave, I visit them, they have very nice historic homes, but also a very mixed area, and for me personally, I dont think it's gotten it's act totally cleaned up yet(it's getting there)...Nebraska Ave still has ladies of the night, drugs, etc...just more than I see in other areas of Tampa.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:30 PM

205 posts, read 989,682 times
I totally agree. Nebraska Ave is the worst...plenty of "ladies of the night" (or day as I have seen) there. Yuck...I am gonna take pictures and post them here for the "non-believers", lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
The only areas I mentioned above that are predomitely black would be just north of Ybor City......'Suitcase City'(the area just West of USF) is very mixed and very transient.....Drew Park is just not the nicest of areas(alot of seedy adult theaters, adult spas, industrial type businesses.....East Tampa is very mixed...I too have some friends that live in Seminole Heights east of Nebraska Ave near Hillsborough Ave, I visit them, they have very nice historic homes, but also a very mixed area, and for me personally, I dont think it's gotten it's act totally cleaned up yet(it's getting there)...Nebraska Ave still has ladies of the night, drugs, etc...just more than I see in other areas of Tampa.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:16 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedAChangeFromFL View Post
I totally agree. Nebraska Ave is the worst...plenty of "ladies of the night" (or day as I have seen) there. Yuck...I am gonna take pictures and post them here for the "non-believers", lol.
Yup, just a few years ago we made the mistake of purchasing a beautiful little Victorian house which was apartments on Nebraska. Every night the "ladies of the evening" gathered across the street and were quite vocal in trolling for tricks. And these so-called "ladies" were actually black men dressed in flashy women's costumes. Only once in awhile did I see a run of the mill type "normal" hooker! lol It was disgusting because every day we would find their nasty "debris" in our yard! Southeast Seminole Heights has a lot of charming homes but NEVER AGAIN for us! I wouldn't take a place there now if you gave it to me!

Old 11-17-2007, 02:35 PM

792 posts, read 2,292,206 times
Quote:
I noticed that all of the areas that you mentioned are predominately black neighborhoods in Tampa. What makes you feel unsafe in those areas? I am white and I have been in most of those neighborhoods and have never had a single problem. There are bad areas all over Tampa, and black neighborhood or not I would probably not walk alone out there at night if it is a bad area. I am just curious as to why people have this assumption that just because a neighboorhood is mostly black, that it is unsafe? Have you been a victim of a crime in one of these neighborhoods with a story to back up what you are saying? My ex used to live in one neighborhood you mentioned, near hillsborough and nebraska east of I 275. I never had a single problem in this neighboorhood....
You must be completely misinformed. Do a little research on FBI crime statistics and you will learn that predominantly black areas are where most violent crime occurs. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

That's why the property values are lower, the neighborhoods look worse and people generally fear going there.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:34 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I didn't say the area was bad because of who lives there, it just isn't a place I would stop at night the same goes for Florida, Nebraska, Sulpher springs or Drew Park if I were alone and from out of town. There are many other areas too but he was asking about that particular area.

I delivered Meals on Wheels in that area and had no problem other than getting lost the first time. I wouldn't call any of those places a ghetto. The area is diverse.
There are ppl who won't go to Ybor during the day because of what they have heard on TV. I never had a problem going to Ybor during the day or at night. I lived a few blocks from Ybor before it became a night spot and always felt safe.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:44 PM

409 posts, read 1,505,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
You must be completely misinformed. Do a little research on FBI crime statistics and you will learn that predominantly black areas are where most violent crime occurs. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

That's why the property values are lower, the neighborhoods look worse and people generally fear going there.
I am very well educated and let me inform you of something. Crime isn't a racial thing, it is a socioeconomic thing. The poorer the neighborhood you live in, the higher the crime. Since blacks and whites are still not equal in any way in the country, and blacks still have a higher poverty rate, they also have a higher crime rate. Let me educate you a little further. Violent crime usually happens where the drugs are, and drugs are more abundant where the poverty is, and the highest poverty rates fall within the black community. There is much more to the equation than racial ignorance here. I also heard on the radio the other day that 96% of crimes happen with in the same race. That directly links to my comment earlier, the majority of violent crimes are not random, but rather they are from someone you know.

Getting back to the original post, I don't feel unsafe really anywhere in Tampa. There are places I wouldn't walk alone during the day or at night, but they include many more areas then originally mentioned.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:28 PM

792 posts, read 2,292,206 times
Quote:
I am very well educated and let me inform you of something. Crime isn't a racial thing, it is a socioeconomic thing. The poorer the neighborhood you live in, the higher the crime. Since blacks and whites are still not equal in any way in the country, and blacks still have a higher poverty rate, they also have a higher crime rate. Let me educate you a little further. Violent crime usually happens where the drugs are, and drugs are more abundant where the poverty is, and the highest poverty rates fall within the black community. There is much more to the equation than racial ignorance here. I also heard on the radio the other day that 96% of crimes happen with in the same race. That directly links to my comment earlier, the majority of violent crimes are not random, but rather they are from someone you know.
Yeah, OK....whatever

Old 11-19-2007, 07:36 PM

68 posts, read 215,357 times
Quote:
THANK YOU!!

My middle school aged daughter goes to a Performing Arts Magnet School in one of those "bad areas" and I can tell you it is one of the highest performing schools in Hillsborough County. I've lived in Tampa for 12 years now and the crime is NOT just in lower income areas. That assumption is silly. I was lost one time driving around Ybor and I stopped and asked for directions. The people in the neighborhood were extremely helpful.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:42 PM

68 posts, read 215,357 times
Quote:

Getting back to the original post, I don't feel unsafe really anywhere in Tampa. There are places I wouldn't walk alone during the day or at night, but they include many more areas then originally mentioned.
Very well said and extremely accurate. Some people can not get past their........."ignorance"..........however.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:22 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,922 times
Quote:
I am very well educated and let me inform you of something. Crime isn't a racial thing, it is a socioeconomic thing. The poorer the neighborhood you live in, the higher the crime. Since blacks and whites are still not equal in any way in the country, and blacks still have a higher poverty rate, they also have a higher crime rate. Let me educate you a little further. Violent crime usually happens where the drugs are, and drugs are more abundant where the poverty is, and the highest poverty rates fall within the black community. There is much more to the equation than racial ignorance here. I also heard on the radio the other day that 96% of crimes happen with in the same race.
I can't help but to point out...
You just said the poorer, the more crime... blacks are poorer and have more crime. Violent crime is where drugs are, which is where the poor are... and the highest rate of poor is in black communities, so therefore the black community has more violent crime............

....and you ask this??
Quote:
I noticed that all of the areas that you mentioned are predominately black neighborhoods in Tampa. What makes you feel unsafe in those areas?
LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay