U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 06:21 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,611,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Holeeee shiiiit, you can complain about anything. Having students change classrooms makes them selfish? I guess everyone that went to public school in NYC in the 70's and 80's was selfish because unless you were in a small private school you had different people in your class every year.

And nobody does this anywhere in the world? You checked? Did you take a poll of 5 people?
If you're not involved in this situation now, mind your own business.

Having "new" people in a class due to relocation, or a military family is one thing, shuffling kids purposely for no reason, when nobody moves, is useless and ridiculous, and it does create problems for kids. It's truly Sad that you can't see that. Actually, thanks for proving my selfish point. You can't see passed yourself as always!

"Complaining" that's all you have to comment? is there a way that you can stick to the subject? cause if not, you don't have to reply at all if this does not affect YOU. Guess what, people complain about homeowners insurance too, there's a thread in here talking about some $400 hike? It didn't sound too happy why don't you go in that thread too and tell them where they can go, and to stop complaining because CityData doesn't control insurance rates!

This is a discussion board...I asked a question, and some people answered, and I am not sure why you have a need to attack me? Please use the ignore feature and never reply to my posts again, you and I don't live the same lives in the same house, so mind your own business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 08:26 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,221,587 times
I think it would be boring having the same kids in a class year after year.
Having different people in classes gives the opportunity to meet new people and have
new friendships. The kids from the previous years can still be in the school so its
not like they disappear and are never seen again.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:33 AM

3,013 posts, read 4,843,257 times
When I went to grade school in the late 70's and early 80's, they shuffled our classes every year. Then in high school during the late 80's they shuffled our homerooms around every year. As far as actual classes themselves, I never had the same groups of people in class with me. This was by design, because when you get to college - guess what happens? You're in different classes with different people constantly.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:47 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,611,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I think it would be boring having the same kids in a class year after year.
Having different people in classes gives the opportunity to meet new people and have
new friendships. The kids from the previous years can still be in the school so its
not like they disappear and are never seen again.
Boring? not even close...I went to school with the same folks from 1st grade all through HS, and beyond that. There was nothing boring about it. We knew each other, we knew our jokes, we knew our parents, we did things together to have fun, and not hang out at the mall like teens do these days doing nothing...and so forth, and didn't have to deal with new kids bringing bad habits, and attitudes and crap like that, there was a lot less bullying for sure. It was a public school, and not private. Maybe some people are not stable enough that they need to meet new people all the time, I did not notice this at my kids school. I noticed kids being really upset for not continuing in the same classes! For most folks stability is a valued quality. I never meet anyone that didn't care for stability. We have great memories...what memories are our kids going to have? they never get to spend enough time with other kids to MAKE a lasting friendship. This creates generations of loners...how many do really want to keep making friends non stop? I want to have friends that I can always hang out with, have inside jokes with, rely on, be relied on by them, and so forth, and have things in common...take a step back and really think about it.

The kids from the previous years are in the same school, but they don't get to meet as often because they're classes are doing different things at different times.

Elementary school, middle school are all forming years...this non stop, and non sensical bouncing is not doing them any good other than creating generations of transients who can't BE a good friend because they never had the opportunity to make and KEEP a good friend. My husband went to Nova in South Florida and did not change class kids either...I think this happens in certain districts and it is really bad that it does. Florida is transient enough as it is(became), we don't need to make it even more transient.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:01 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,221,587 times
Friends from earlier years were still friends even though we were not in the same class. Of course some would wind up in a particular class, science, physical education, music, math etc. But they werent the same kids together year after year. That didnt even happen in elementary school.

Your preamble shows me that it was boring. Everybody knew each other, knew the jokes, knew parents, etc. That makes it a closed group with no form of interaction with others. It would be akin to being in a prison. Same faces day after day year after year. Your scenario isolates people to one group instead of exposing the students to the jokes from other students, getting to meet the parents of other people, interacting with others, forming new friendships and learning about the differences in people who come from different backgrounds. Its enlightening.

Though we may have all been in different classes, that did not prevent us from socializing and attending after school activities together. To this day I am still friends with people who I met in various grades in school and in some cases from different schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Boring? not even close...I went to school with the same folks from 1st grade all through HS, and beyond that. There was nothing boring about it. We knew each other, we knew our jokes, we knew our parents, we did things together to have fun, and not hang out at the mall like teens do these days doing nothing...and so forth, and didn't have to deal with new kids bringing bad habits, and attitudes and crap like that, there was a lot less bullying for sure. It was a public school, and not private. Maybe some people are not stable enough that they need to meet new people all the time, I did not notice this at my kids school. I noticed kids being really upset for not continuing in the same classes! For most folks stability is a valued quality. I never meet anyone that didn't care for stability. We have great memories...what memories are our kids going to have? they never get to spend enough time with other kids to MAKE a lasting friendship. This creates generations of loners...how many do really want to keep making friends non stop? I want to have friends that I can always hang out with, have inside jokes with, rely on, be relied on by them, and so forth, and have things in common...take a step back and really think about it.

The kids from the previous years are in the same school, but they don't get to meet as often because they're classes are doing different things at different times.

Elementary school, middle school are all forming years...this non stop, and non sensical bouncing is not doing them any good other than creating generations of transients who can't BE a good friend because they never had the opportunity to make and KEEP a good friend. My husband went to Nova in South Florida and did not change class kids either...I think this happens in certain districts and it is really bad that it does. Florida is transient enough as it is(became), we don't need to make it even more transient.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:28 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,484,710 times
I'll share from a teacher's perspective. We shuffle the classes each year for various reasons. We look at each individual child and decide whether or not their personality would fit with the personalities of the upcoming teachers. We also look at the diversity of the class. A good class is one in which there isn't a high percentage of high performing students or low performing students. Making sure the abilities are mixed in a fair way benefits all students. (You don't want a room full of low performing students or they won't learn good academic habits from their peers.) Finally, we do our best to seperate any students with conflicing personalities or students who need to get out of their comfort zone a bit.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:26 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,125,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
In Tampa, or elsewhere in Florida, was your class shuffled every year? or have you spend your elementary, middle and HS too with the same kids, forming long term friendships etc?

Can someone explain this shuffling? its purpose and when it started?

I went to school from elementary to HS in Miami with the same people...few who moved were replaced by others, but my class was NOT purposely shuffled.
I went to school in Massachusetts (East Longmeadow) and classes were always shuffled. Even when I was in elementary and middle you had your "team" and you had 4 different teachers so there were always rotation. Especially too once you got to high school. You signed up for the classes you wanted to take. The class times were assigned, but you always had different people in your classes.

My school was relatively small compared too to some of the schools I hear about here! However, East Longmeadow is a small town. My graduating class had about 165 people in it. My whole high school had less than 800 people. In some high schools here their whole class is bigger than my whole high school population was, including the teachers and staff!

Old 10-05-2013, 01:52 PM

6,587 posts, read 6,805,653 times
Back in the 70's where I grew up they grouped us based on our ability on a placement test and then based on our grades in the previous grade...looking back it was sort of harsh and definitely not politically correct...

Old 10-05-2013, 05:09 PM

13,572 posts, read 9,265,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Holeeee shiiiit, you can complain about anything. Having students change classrooms makes them selfish? I guess everyone that went to public school in NYC in the 70's and 80's was selfish because unless you were in a small private school you had different people in your class every year.

And nobody does this anywhere in the world? You checked? Did you take a poll of 5 people?
Another perfect world view. I must have went to 10 diff schools when i lived in Tampa.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:38 PM

20,095 posts, read 12,064,070 times
A book recently came out- I saw it on the news last night Re: happy people and how we handle stress- said according the the study the Dr. did- people with many social interactions make you happier, healthier, and help you live longer. almost the same theory about babies that are never picked up and loved and only fed etc. with out human interaction- No wonder we drink n do so many drugs, and text while sexting- we are lonely--
NOW that does NOT mean all are, and people adjust and kids are rezilient- but I see the youth today and I do think they are missing alot. A friend of mine ran a 1/2 house for mid-troubled teens, you know what they wanted- to be able to talk with their parents- really talk. ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or