Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 11:04 PM

23 posts, read 28,509 times

Advertisements

Been hunting for cheap rental house & jobs in Clearwater / Tampa area for 3 wks now online. I'm getting nowhere. Trying to be within 30 min of Clearwater Beach area, but can branch out. How do people afford such high rent when the pay scale is so low? Need an old 4 bdrm house. We will repair @ our own expense as long as it's not major work. Any suggestions?? Just not in trashy area. Any private owners out there that have rentals that need fixed up? Need by June! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 11:57 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,449,069 times
Welcome to 'Our World'.

Seriously, what you are looking for doesn't exist in a good neighborhood. You are going to have to give up something. I would suggest distance and drive another 20 to 30 minutes when you want to hit the beach. Start looking up North to Northeast in Tarpon Springs, Trinity, Land O Lakes, Odessa, or even New Port Richey (there are some nice areas there - just be careful).

Old 10-02-2013, 06:41 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,628,810 times
You might luck out and find a short sale, but generally housing near the beach in a safe area is not very affordable and then you have to factor in flood insurance, etc. Best wishes.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:08 AM

35,349 posts, read 20,714,667 times
st pete, maybe

Old 10-02-2013, 11:37 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,084,527 times
Curious, how much are you looking to spend on rent?

Old 10-02-2013, 11:56 AM

5,906 posts, read 7,239,221 times
A short sale would take 90 days at best in a perfect world, and tie you and your money up for the same.

There were some other posters looking for a rent to own or rent and renovate approach - not going to happen in this market, IMHO. Things are too good between the high rental rates we're seeing and the institutional investors driving the prices up.

RM

Old 10-02-2013, 12:03 PM

23 posts, read 28,509 times
Thanks everyone! Now that's what I need! A "specific" area to look towards. :-) I can't travel 700 miles every weekend to scout the areas, so I'm relying on internet & honest people to give me some guidance. Looking for under $800 per month until we get stable down there. Willing to fix up a place if needed for that reduced rent @ our own expense, providing it's not a "major" issue. My problems are-- need 4 bdrm, 2 bath, that allows very well trained doggies, & has room for a 20 ft. camper, 20 ft. Maintenance trailer, 3 cars, & a 24 ft. above ground pool, with a fenced in back yard. A garage or storage shed would be nice for all our lawn equip. I feel a huge struggle engulfing us, but I have the faith to continue forward. We want down there so bad that we can taste the salt water! ;-) . Please keep the info coming. I have until June to make this happen. Thanks again! If you know of a place, please provide me with an address & a contact number. I will jump all over it.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:04 PM

626 posts, read 1,342,842 times
Not trying to be the dark cloud...but I really dont foresee you finding something like that around Clearwater and especially for that price. You might find something close but probably a 3 bedroom in the most non-desirable area in Clearwater aka Greenwood...but even that would be a push. Looking up into Pasco (New Port Richey, Port Richey, Hudson, etc) you might have a better chance...but then youre hit and miss with the area and youre pretty far out from a decent beach and decent employment...then you might find that in South St Pete, but Im almost 100% sure youd prefer to not live there.

If it helps you out realistic wise...I am renting a 2 bedroom 1 bath 800 sq ft home in Largo- not the best part of town but not the worst and paying $800 a month and that was a lucky deal since most of the other homes in this neighborhood are currently going for $850-$1000/month...its just going to be hard for you to find something like that in Pinellas County.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:15 PM

173 posts, read 447,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachlvr21399 View Post
Thanks everyone! Now that's what I need! A "specific" area to look towards. :-) I can't travel 700 miles every weekend to scout the areas, so I'm relying on internet & honest people to give me some guidance. Looking for under $800 per month until we get stable down there. Willing to fix up a place if needed for that reduced rent @ our own expense, providing it's not a "major" issue. My problems are-- need 4 bdrm, 2 bath, that allows very well trained doggies, & has room for a 20 ft. camper, 20 ft. Maintenance trailer, 3 cars, & a 24 ft. above ground pool, with a fenced in back yard. A garage or storage shed would be nice for all our lawn equip. I feel a huge struggle engulfing us, but I have the faith to continue forward. We want down there so bad that we can taste the salt water! ;-) . Please keep the info coming. I have until June to make this happen. Thanks again! If you know of a place, please provide me with an address & a contact number. I will jump all over it.
Under $1800 per month, if you are lucky. Under $800 will get you a 2BR/1BA. These are more realistic numbers.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:17 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,438,301 times
You really need to make a trip down here. I get that you can't come frequently, but you need to come at least once - spend a long weekend - and look around. Then you'll see why everyone is saying how difficult it is to find what you're looking for.

And with everything that you want to keep on your property?! No one in a 'good' neighborhood has a camper and trailer on their lawn - that would be the trashy neighborhoods. Your definition of good might vary from the rest of us.

Honestly the only place you're going to find something where an owner lets you rent at that price with or without reduced rent for services is via craigslist. Or talk to a realtor. What you're looking for is SO specific that your average internet poster isn't going to just *happen* to know of something that will suit you. For that price, that close to the water, it will not be nice. Something is going to have to give.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay