U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 09:52 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,997,849 times
Default Pumpkin patches?

Are there any actual pumpkin patches in the TB area? The ones i've seen in brandon seem to be tents or churches set up to sell them, i'd like to go to an actual pumpkin patch where you go out and pick your own right on the field. Does that exist here or are all the pumpkins shipped in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 10:05 PM

7,876 posts, read 4,603,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Are there any actual pumpkin patches in the TB area? The ones i've seen in brandon seem to be tents or churches set up to sell them, i'd like to go to an actual pumpkin patch where you go out and pick your own right on the field. Does that exist here or are all the pumpkins shipped in?

This should lead you to your pumpkins.........

http://http://www.pumpkinpatchesandmore.org/FLpwest.php

Old 10-05-2013, 10:15 PM

unfortunately none of them listed in hillsborough really say if they're a patch or not. Does anyone know if the Hydro farm is an actual patch? I'd hate to go and find out they're already picked and sorted, i can get that at the store, i'd rather go to an actual farm and try to teach and show my kid how they look before that point.

But, that could just be an "up north" thing, maybe I'm looking for something that doesnt exist here?

Old 10-06-2013, 06:37 AM

2,410 posts, read 1,042,124 times
Link to a Pumpkin Patch / Corn Maze at http://www.hydroharvestfarms.com

Try this one...

Old 10-06-2013, 08:33 AM

2,638 posts, read 5,771,450 times
Because of the heat of our summers, it is difficult to grow pumpkins in Florida so that they are ready for Halloween. To make that date they have to be planted when it is still really hot and humid, and they don't do so well under those conditions. Storing pumpkins grown earlier is a big problem here as they easily rot in the high heat and humidity. Most "pumpkin patches" for Halloween have pumpkins from up north, but you can get Florida pumpkins later in the fall. If you want a pumpkin to make a Halloween jack-o-lantern, resist the urge to buy and carve it early. It will be a nasty smelling rotten pile of goo within a day or two at these temperatures. Wait until the very last minute instead. And I would choose a pumpkin that has been hanging out in the air conditioned grocery store over one that has been out in the heat at a "patch".

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mv116

Old 10-06-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Right above your post I asked if anyone had actually been there before....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Because of the heat of our summers, it is difficult to grow pumpkins in Florida so that they are ready for Halloween. To make that date they have to be planted when it is still really hot and humid, and they don't do so well under those conditions. Storing pumpkins grown earlier is a big problem here as they easily rot in the high heat and humidity. Most "pumpkin patches" for Halloween have pumpkins from up north, but you can get Florida pumpkins later in the fall. If you want a pumpkin to make a Halloween jack-o-lantern, resist the urge to buy and carve it early. It will be a nasty smelling rotten pile of goo within a day or two at these temperatures. Wait until the very last minute instead. And I would choose a pumpkin that has been hanging out in the air conditioned grocery store over one that has been out in the heat at a "patch".

HS649/MV116: Pumpkin ? Cucurbita spp.
Oh wow, yeah i didnt even think about the heat thing affecting the pumpkins. We leave our pumpkins out for a month "up north" lol I guess we'll be skipping the carving of pumpkins this year then, my son and I will be spending halloween back in Nebraska, so I guess we will just paint a few of the small ones

Old 10-06-2013, 08:59 AM

2,638 posts, read 5,771,450 times
I know it's not the same, but at craft stores like Jo Ann's they have faux pumpkins that you can carve up and display as long as you want since they can't rot.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I know it's not the same, but at craft stores like Jo Ann's they have faux pumpkins that you can carve up and display as long as you want since they can't rot.
Yep!

(I know it sounds like I'm being knit-picky, I'm just used to certain halloween traditions like making fresh seeds to eat up, watching it slowly mold and turn cool colors as it dies, etc) This is our last year in florida, so hopefully we get some place cold so we can go back to some old traditions.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:33 PM

618 posts, read 699,708 times
Sweetfields Farm (north of Tampa) does a neat little Fall festival, though unfortunately theyve already picked all of the pumpkins and you just pick from what they have.. and they are a little pricey. We typically go there for their you-pick veggies and sunflower maze...I dont know of anywhere around that you can actually go and pick your own pumpkins...that would be a really neat experience though (and obviously just one more reason I need to move somewhere North too) =) We roast the seeds and watch it mold too...though it usually molds within a few days of carving it lol

Old 10-06-2013, 06:54 PM

Going out to the field and picking your pumpkin is one of my favorite childhood memories. Though, they cut it from the vines but just leave it there in the field. its really fun. You get a little red flyer cart and throw all your pumpkins in the cart and try to keep it from flipping over and dumping everything on the ground. Haha!

This is the place I have always gone to growing up: Vala's Pumpkin Patch
Though, now, it has so much more stuff going on, its like a mini amusement park only open for a couple months a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay