Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 07:54 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,297,105 times

Advertisements

In my never ending quest to get as much information to make a decision on moving I wonder if someone could give me an idea of what the average bill is like. We will buy a house between 2k and 3k square feet. I know there are variables of year the house was built and how much you use the AC and Pool. I currently live in a 2.1k sq ft house on LI and my bill on average months runs around 200. In the summer its 350ish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 08:03 PM

734 posts, read 920,516 times
My summer bill has averaged around $180, falling to around $100 in the winter months. A/C rarely if ever cuts on in winter, and I think the heat cut on once last year. New house, though, with energy efficient everything and two a/c units which helps since we can keep each floor at different temps. 2800 sq. ft. house.

The first house we lived in when we moved to Tampa was less than half the size and the bill was more expensive in summer. Horrible insulation, and single pane windows. Plus the a/c had a leak that the landlord never bothered to fix. By the time we had it tested we were already about to move out anyway.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:16 PM

Ty in the winter I live like an eskimo and in the summer I live like I am in the desert lol.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:21 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,898,341 times
The latest on our 2,550 sq ft one story home came in at $255. That is a nice drop from the $300 one. Our new HVAC unit, pluse window unit just for master bedroom are paying off. Two home offices, people home all day, BIG home theater, multiple electronic units, freezer in garage, fridge outside, pool. I just reduced the time on the pump, so next bill should drop more, with the temps also dropping a little.

Winter is low $100's.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:28 AM

676 posts, read 1,271,649 times
We're in a new 2200 square foot house. I keep the temperature at 76 during the day and 74 overnight. Our summer bills were 140, 150 and 175 (includes billing for Zap Cap whole house surge protector). Quite an improvement from our former house in the Atlanta area where we paid between 250 and 300 per month during the summer in a 2700 sq. ft. house.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloBeachRetiree View Post
We're in a new 2200 square foot house. I keep the temperature at 76 during the day and 74 overnight. Our summer bills were 140, 150 and 175 (includes billing for Zap Cap whole house surge protector). Quite an improvement from our former house in the Atlanta area where we paid between 250 and 300 per month during the summer in a 2700 sq. ft. house.
I keep mine 78 during the day and 76 at night with a fan in my master bedroom. So I hope when I move down there my bills are somewhat like yours! Plus I pay around 4k a year for heating. I had the house professionally insulated as well. Should be some major relief in my electric and of course oil bills!

Old 09-29-2014, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I keep mine 78 during the day and 76 at night with a fan in my master bedroom. So I hope when I move down there my bills are somewhat like yours! Plus I pay around 4k a year for heating. I had the house professionally insulated as well. Should be some major relief in my electric and of course oil bills!
We moved into our new house in December of last year. I paid $70, $50 and $40 to heat the house (natural gas) in January, February and March. I was used to paying between 200 and 250 in Atlanta. I keep the temperature at 68 during the day and 62 at night during the heating season. Cost of gas includes our Rinnai water heater, gas cooktop and gas dryer which run $20 - $25 during the heating season so subtract this from the cost of heating the house.

Love the mush lower bills.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:20 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,406 times
1900sqf house: summer $296.74 highest with keeping temps between 76 and 77...and in winter about the same because when it's 30/40/50 degrees outside (and homes in Florida have zero insulation) the heat comes on. We have floor heaters too, because it gets very cold inside.

IF the AC unit is old expect to pay more. Some newer units have issues too, so you have to inspect that somehow before buying.

We never paid $25 for the gas(natural gas), it is always $30 and up. We only have the water heater and stove using it. In the winter time it comes up to over $150.(Really don't know why...since we don't take more baths and showers during the winter, nor do we cook more! makes no sense).

It depends on a lot of things really like your own personal usage; if you take a lot of bath's, showers, laundry...it ads up, it also matters how many family members are in your house...and so forth. It is hard to ball park it...it remains to be seen in your case. I wouldn't compare here with LI tho, apples and oranges.
(It also depends on how much body insulation you have! we don't have a lot, so we need the heat in the house to run more).

Old 09-29-2014, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
1900sqf house: summer $296.74 highest with keeping temps between 76 and 77...and in winter about the same because when it's 30/40/50 degrees outside (and homes in Florida have zero insulation) the heat comes on. We have floor heaters too, because it gets very cold inside.

IF the AC unit is old expect to pay more. Some newer units have issues too, so you have to inspect that somehow before buying.

We never paid $25 for the gas(natural gas), it is always $30 and up. We only have the water heater and stove using it. In the winter time it comes up to over $150.(Really don't know why...since we don't take more baths and showers during the winter, nor do we cook more! makes no sense).

It depends on a lot of things really like your own personal usage; if you take a lot of bath's, showers, laundry...it ads up, it also matters how many family members are in your house...and so forth. It is hard to ball park it...it remains to be seen in your case. I wouldn't compare here with LI tho, apples and oranges.
(It also depends on how much body insulation you have! we don't have a lot, so we need the heat in the house to run more).
Good points. We are only two except when family comes to visit.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:29 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,822,612 times
I've got 3100+ sqft, dual heat-pumps, pool, and everything is electric (cooktop, oven, clothes dryer and two water heaters) as there's no gas service on my street yet. Supposedly, it's coming. We've got several televisions in the house (generally no more than two are watched at any given time unless we have houseguests), a desktop PC, a few laptops, and various other electronic gizmos.

I just got my bill the other day - $385. It's for the 8/18-9/18 period. The previous bill was $437, due to the fact we had family here from up north for that entire time. It makes sense, because we had four additional people in the house taking showers, doing laundry, using their electronic devices, etc. The bill before that (late June/early July period) was just a hair under $400.

The next bill will be even lower, well below $300. The pool filter doesn't have to run as much, air conditioning isn't running as much, and my wife is back in school - so that's one less person here all day every day using electricity. Over the winter, our bills get below $200. It's wonderful.

Since we moved in, I've changed out every light bulb to LED or CFL as well as installed timers for the outside lights. Smart thermostats seem to have helped quite a bit, as they go into "away" mode when we aren't home (or if someone's not on that side of the house for an extended period of time). I bought a new variable-speed pool pump but haven't gotten it installed yet. Supposedly, that will yield substantial savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay