Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 08:27 AM

745 posts, read 801,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by painteddot View Post
Hello,

I was drawn to your thread about Seminole Heights--I will be moving soon to the area and for me, coming from NYC after 25 years, good neighbors who look out for each other and an affordable home seem like a great reason to move to the area. I keep thinking that fater the many many apartmentments that I have lived in here which are highly priced and substandard with all kinds of nighbors packed on top of eachother, how might S.Hights compare? I will be teaching art at The University, have a 21 month old .Would it be possible to get in touch with you off this thread for any recommendations or anything you might see popping up near you for rent? I am looking for Aug 1.
So just for your info...

You have a 21 month old. I have to ask: What do you do when your child is school age?

The answer is: you have 3 choices
1. home school them
2. send them to a private school
3. move

Because you do not, under any circumstances send them to schools in the area... unless you want them to end up being criminals, or pregnant by 14, or something

This is the white elephant in the room that no one is talking about, but it's true. Schools in that area suck, and suck ass, hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 11:05 AM

45 posts, read 57,217 times
I respectfully don't get the hype about Seminole Heights either. It seems like an older neighborhood, and not in a good way. I know newer businesses and restaurants are moving in, but I don't know why they would risk it. Downtown St. Pete is THRIVING with life. Not sure why anyone would choose the Heights over DTSP.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:39 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen5150 View Post
Because you do not, under any circumstances send them to schools in the area... unless you want them to end up being criminals, or pregnant by 14, or something
I'll humor this... Show me the research that backs this claim up. Lets compare it to, say, Plant High.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
I'll humor this... Show me the research that backs this claim up. Lets compare it to, say, Plant High.
Look at the elementary, middle and high schools you would go to if you live in Seminole Heights, or worse, Tampa Heights... then compare them to where your kids would go if they lived in South Tampa

WORLDS apart...

While Hillsborough High has the IB program, the IB students never associate with the kids who go to "the rest of the classes" except during lunch, PE and maybe an elective.

So you have a ton of thug F grade students there just to do nothing but cause trouble and a bunch of smart A students there trying to get an education...

But you don't have that luxury for Elementary and Middle school... you go to neighborhood schools, which all suck.

Memorial Middle School which was a D school in 2014, 2013, 2012 and C the previous 2 years

Seminole Elementary which was an A school in 2014, but a D school in 2013 and a C in 2012 and 2011. Not sure what happened for this school to go from a D to an A in 1 year, cheating probably

You can get the data yourself

Hillsborough County 2014 School Grades | theledger.com | The Ledger | Lakeland, FL

Sure, I was probably exaggerating about the criminals and pregnancy, but i'm sure there is data to back some of that up...

Old 07-06-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Look at the elementary, middle and high schools you would go to if you live in Seminole Heights, or worse, Tampa Heights... then compare them to where your kids would go if they lived in South Tampa

WORLDS apart...

While Hillsborough High has the IB program, the IB students never associate with the kids who go to "the rest of the classes" except during lunch, PE and maybe an elective.

So you have a ton of thug F grade students there just to do nothing but cause trouble and a bunch of smart A students there trying to get an education...

But you don't have that luxury for Elementary and Middle school... you go to neighborhood schools, which all suck.

Memorial Middle School which was a D school in 2014, 2013, 2012 and C the previous 2 years

Seminole Elementary which was an A school in 2014, but a D school in 2013 and a C in 2012 and 2011. Not sure what happened for this school to go from a D to an A in 1 year, cheating probably

You can get the data yourself

Hillsborough County 2014 School Grades | theledger.com | The Ledger | Lakeland, FL
Do you know what statistics are and how they are used?

Quote:
Sure, I was probably exaggerating about the criminals and pregnancy, but i'm sure there is data to back some of that up...
Thus why I asked you to provide said statistics...

Old 07-06-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Do you know what statistics are and how they are used?

Thus why I asked you to provide said statistics...
Despite your agenda against me, you cannot refute what I am saying about how ****ty the schools are in that part of Tampa...

Old 07-06-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Despite your agenda against me, you cannot refute what I am saying about how ****ty the schools are in that part of Tampa...
I'm not against you at all. I am against what I like to call "Anti-Facts." Lines that can easily be disproved with statistics and research.

The schools may be terrible, I don't know, I don't have kids or care how good or bad the schools are; However, I highly doubt that the vast majority of female students there end up pregnant at 14. I also highly doubt that the vast majority of students end up joining gangs. You continue to crap on the area and claim that it's on the same level as Compton, and yet, the crime stats don't back you up. I simply asked for proof that female students are typically pregnant by 14 (I'm not asking for outliers) or that the typical student in Seminole Heights (mean, not outliers) are members of gangs.

In the future, you should probably follow your posts up with proof of some sort.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:07 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
Quote:
I'm not against you at all. I am against what I like to call "Anti-Facts." Lines that can easily be disproved with statistics and research.

The schools may be terrible, I don't know, I don't have kids or care how good or bad the schools are; However, I highly doubt that the vast majority of female students there end up pregnant at 14. I also highly doubt that the vast majority of students end up joining gangs. You continue to crap on the area and claim that it's on the same level as Compton, and yet, the crime stats don't back you up. I simply asked for proof that female students are typically pregnant by 14 (I'm not asking for outliers) or that the typical student in Seminole Heights (mean, not outliers) are members of gangs.

In the future, you should probably follow your posts up with proof of some sort.
It's called hyperbole...of course VH was exaggerating......the OP has a 21 month old child...schools in very short order will become of major importance...we get it you don't have kids and it's not an issue...but VH was addressing the specific needs of the OP...not yours or mine...

Old 07-06-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
It's called hyperbole...of course VH was exaggerating......the OP has a 21 month old child...schools in very short order will become of major importance...we get it you don't have kids and it's not an issue...but VH was addressing the specific needs of the OP...not yours or mine...
You clearly aren't familiar with their other posts on the area. And the point of the statements was a direct attempt to make schools in the area seem worse than they actually are. Therefore, hyperbole doesn't belong in a post asking for real advice. Especially given that Hillsborough High is one of four IB programs in the entirety of Hillsborough County.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:57 PM

877 posts, read 1,913,005 times
Before we moved here we considered Seminole Heights because you can walk to some restaurants and we love craftsman type houses. We quickly discovered it was not for us.

Here are the Greatschool scores for the first house that came up for sale when I googled Seminole Heights:

Seminole Elementary 6 (out of 10, with 10 being the highest)
Memorial Middle 3
Hillsborough High 5

If you have kids it is not an area I would recommend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay