U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-07-2013, 01:42 PM
 
4,811 posts, read 3,462,148 times
Reputation: 2855

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
No I am not and I don't work as a traffic engineer either.
It's just common sense to stop the car when I see Yellow light at approaching intersection. People who think it's ok to speed up and pass the intersection when they obviously need to slow down, cause major accidents and need to pay red light tickets.
Don't want to pay? Stop you car when you see the light turned yellow! How simple it that?
You don't get a ticket unless the light is red by the time you cross into the intersection, not if the light turns red while you are in the intersection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-07-2013, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,203,256 times
Reputation: 6009
they were talking about .1 of a second.

The WTSP report also states that the FDOT was adding the time back.

The length was still within the federal guidelines, no?


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2013, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,203,256 times
Reputation: 6009
Surely. Its designed to get people who intentionally blow through red lights, not an "we gotcha" situation that is being timed to impede traffic or make a bad situation worse.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
You don't get a ticket unless the light is red by the time you cross into the intersection, not if the light turns red while you are in the intersection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2013, 01:53 PM
 
3,313 posts, read 4,289,700 times
Reputation: 1835
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
You don't get a ticket unless the light is red by the time you cross into the intersection, not if the light turns red while you are in the intersection.
I know that and that's what I was trying to point out - you see yellow light BEFORE you entered the intersection - the light might be red by the time you cross the stop bar and you will get a ticket... If you entered the intersection while it's green or just turned yellow - 1) you will have enough time to complete your maneuver and 2) you will not get a ticket.
So, people who are complaining about red light cameras are actually running red otherwise I don't understand their problems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2013, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Terra
2,827 posts, read 3,198,451 times
Reputation: 3339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
they were talking about .1 of a second.

The WTSP report also states that the FDOT was adding the time back.

The length was still within the federal guidelines, no?
Did you even read the articles after asking for the links, or were you just asking because you didn't think it was true?

From the articles:

Quote:
The 10 News Investigators discovered the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) quietly changed the state's policy on yellow intervals in 2011, reducing the minimum below federal recommendations.
Red light cameras are not for safety at all. They are a cash cow. The powers that be would like you to think they are for safety only, but anyone with a shred of sense knows otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2013, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Pinellas Park Florida
210 posts, read 503,518 times
Reputation: 157
In case you weren't aware, Florida could give a rat's a_s about Federal Standards....Stop at the red light Simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2013, 02:59 PM
 
3,313 posts, read 4,289,700 times
Reputation: 1835
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
Red light cameras are not for safety at all. They are a cash cow. The powers that be would like you to think they are for safety only, but anyone with a shred of sense knows otherwise.
It's off from the federal RECOMMENDED standards by 1(ONE) second.... are you kidding me? you consider this being the factor for such a high number of red light tickets? People who crossed stop bar line AFTER the light turned RED got the ticket and timing for yellow has nothing to do with it! Want to be on the safe side? Do not cross stop bar when the light is yellow!

If you think "they" are just trying to make money from nothing, well... don't help them - DO NOT pass the intersection when you see it's already RED! It's simple!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2013, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Terra
2,827 posts, read 3,198,451 times
Reputation: 3339
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
It's off from the federal RECOMMENDED standards by 1(ONE) second.... are you kidding me? you consider this being the factor for such a high number of red light tickets? People who crossed stop bar line AFTER the light turned RED got the ticket and timing for yellow has nothing to do with it! Want to be on the safe side? Do not cross stop bar when the light is yellow!

If you think "they" are just trying to make money from nothing, well... don't help them - DO NOT pass the intersection when you see it's already RED! It's simple!
I agree, and I don't run red lights.

But what if a road is wet and you're kinda in that area where you can't decide if you should stop or go? Are you willing to risk a collision from the rear because roads were wet or are you going to risk getting a red light ticket?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2013, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Pinellas Park Florida
210 posts, read 503,518 times
Reputation: 157
Slow down during hazardous conditions....driving 101.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2013, 03:55 PM
 
4,586 posts, read 4,604,515 times
Reputation: 4358
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
I agree, and I don't run red lights.

But what if a road is wet and you're kinda in that area where you can't decide if you should stop or go? Are you willing to risk a collision from the rear because roads were wet or are you going to risk getting a red light ticket?
If you're on a "wet" road, (and we have plenty of those in FL) you should never drive so fast that you can't stop your own vehicle! It's called "safe driving".

The yellow is there to help prepare you to stop, NOT encourage red light running! Jeez, is nobody reading that damn driving manual???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:48 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top