U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in eating at a soul food restaurant?
Yes 15 71.43%
No 6 28.57%
Maybe- (please explain deciding factors in comments) 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 02:33 PM

4,224 posts, read 5,676,244 times

Advertisements

Collards and ox tails...been a long time since I've had that combination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 08:28 PM

20,061 posts, read 12,036,753 times
why not do a truck? that seems to be the delight of people now and the last set of ribs I got was from a food truck in Hollywood FL. I am just saying for the expense,,, and to be sure of location, I'd go with that first- id love to see a Luisiana joint open up music and all. Good luck and let us know what happens

Old 10-16-2013, 09:02 AM

Now I see the question as a new restaruant is opening in ST Pete, Sylivias- see how it goes for them?

Old 10-16-2013, 03:45 PM

627 posts, read 1,176,248 times
I just googled the Sylivias in St Pete to see when it might open- Mid October? soon?....I will probably go try it. I just wonder since it seems to be a chain, if it will lose the authentic taste that you can really only get from true home cooking?...and not from a cook thats just following recipes that he doesnt really know or care anything about?!

In re: to your food truck idea...that was actually his back up plan if he didnt find a location that was ideal and that he fell in love with. Plus, I think it would be pretty cool to partake in all of the local food truck rallies.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:15 PM

They said they were staying with "HOME cooking" no canned stuff, only way is too see, is to eat there and see what happens in time. I think they open in Nov maybe? but the good thing about a truck is mobility... to find your right location. I can cook some mean greens but my favorite is some deep-south breakfasts,,, won't be hungry the rest of the day! and I'm talking everything from -fried fish with grits, or thick bacon, or sardines w/chopped onions on grits grits and fried eggs... hmmm yummy.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:53 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,346,179 times
So guys, who can tell me how to cook collards? I see them in the market all the time, but not sure what to do besides steaming them--I'm betting they need some spicing up or flavoring.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:48 AM

I dont cook by recipes,,, but you need some sort of fat--- bacon- or any smoked pork parts- and seasonings

Old 10-17-2013, 09:56 AM

2,763 posts, read 4,668,809 times
I wouldnt.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:41 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,732,940 times
I certainly would.

If he is from SC (as am I), tell him to add hash and rice to his menu. I am tired of bring back multiple pints each time I go visit family!

Old 10-17-2013, 12:22 PM

627 posts, read 1,176,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
So guys, who can tell me how to cook collards? I see them in the market all the time, but not sure what to do besides steaming them--I'm betting they need some spicing up or flavoring.
Definitely need some spicing up and flavoring or they are pretty I googled recipes to find one similar to what I do...because like TinyTrump I really dont use recipes- Id have to show you....but this one is the most similar Collard Greens I wouldnt use all water though- use 1/2 water and 1/2 chicken stock and I include red pepper flakes, definitely include the bacon, and cut up onions to simmer along with the collards- not after the fact. You can adjust to your spice preference and I prefer the vinegar to hot sauce - but try both ways. I also cook mine on low for longer than 6 hours (not really sure of time bc I can smell/taste when its done to my preference)...but maybe somewhere around 7-7.5.

I think collard greens are one of those very versatile greens because you can adjust the ingredients to what you like...but definitely spices and a ham hock bath will add the flavor you need. Good luck and let us know how the y work out for you! I think Im going to make some tomorrow now that Ive been talking about them everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or