U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-17-2013, 01:42 PM
 
3,313 posts, read 4,315,855 times
Reputation: 1837

Advertisements

I think its a common problem for chocolate to have white "cover" after storing it in cold (like fridge) temperature. Discoloring ("bloom") or grey-ish color in chocolate is nothing to be afraid of - the chocolate is still good and will not harm you. You should know this better since you worked at chocolate store before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-17-2013, 02:11 PM
 
4,586 posts, read 4,627,947 times
Reputation: 4358
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
I think its a common problem for chocolate to have white "cover" after storing it in cold (like fridge) temperature. Discoloring ("bloom") or grey-ish color in chocolate is nothing to be afraid of - the chocolate is still good and will not harm you. You should know this better since you worked at chocolate store before.
We threw out all the ones that had that. Plus, it tasts like crap. I am not eating it like that, never did, never will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2013, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Terra
2,826 posts, read 3,220,519 times
Reputation: 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
We threw out all the ones that had that. Plus, it tasts like crap. I am not eating it like that, never did, never will.
A chocolate elitist! Now I've seen it all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2013, 02:28 PM
 
3,313 posts, read 4,315,855 times
Reputation: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
We threw out all the ones that had that. Plus, it tasts like crap. I am not eating it like that, never did, never will.
Well, there is no answer to your prev. questions "BTW: do we know how long ago these have been imported? I once got a Milka at Target and it had the discoloration on...how do we know their fresh?"

The only way for you is to buy it and open it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2013, 02:39 PM
 
4,586 posts, read 4,627,947 times
Reputation: 4358
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
A chocolate elitist! Now I've seen it all!
What? you think I should eat it like that? no way...our boss threw all of them out that had that bloom on them. Every time I get one like that I return it immediately. It's not chocolate anymore, it tastes like crap. How is it my fault, the consumer, that this company can't store their products properly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2013, 02:42 PM
 
4,586 posts, read 4,627,947 times
Reputation: 4358
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Well, there is no answer to your prev. questions "BTW: do we know how long ago these have been imported? I once got a Milka at Target and it had the discoloration on...how do we know their fresh?"

The only way for you is to buy it and open it
The only reason I even asked, was because I don't know how popular/frequented these "foreign" stores really are.

Tampa doesn't strike me as having a population inclined to eat "European" stuff, and judging by what Aldi looks like, one wouldn't think that European foods are popular here. It was different in Miami...much more cosmopolitan down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2013, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Terra
2,826 posts, read 3,220,519 times
Reputation: 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
What? you think I should eat it like that? no way...our boss threw all of them out that had that bloom on them. Every time I get one like that I return it immediately. It's not chocolate anymore, it tastes like crap. How is it my fault, the consumer, that this company can't store their products properly?
You're buying a chocolate bar from Target man, it's not a Godiva store!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2013, 03:02 PM
 
4,586 posts, read 4,627,947 times
Reputation: 4358
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
You're buying a chocolate bar from Target man, it's not a Godiva store!
So? is there an excuse for Target not to properly store their products? should I be concerned about the milk, cereals, etc too?

It was a random buy, as I don't normally buy chocolate often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2013, 09:44 PM
 
3,313 posts, read 4,315,855 times
Reputation: 1837
It's hard to predict chocolate quality before you actually buy one and try it. Any brand of chocolate could be with white or grey-ish color, European or not.
Never had this problem with chocolate from Aldi for some reason.

There are a bunch of things getting recalled every month...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2013, 04:40 AM
 
4,586 posts, read 4,627,947 times
Reputation: 4358
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
It's hard to predict chocolate quality before you actually buy one and try it. Any brand of chocolate could be with white or grey-ish color, European or not.
Never had this problem with chocolate from Aldi for some reason.

There are a bunch of things getting recalled every month...
Well, like I said, I don't buy chocolate that often, but this never happened to the Lindt brand for example.

It is a matter of popularity; items less popular, less advertised will sit on shelves longer, and if the climate is not controlled well, they get the bloom...

Now, have you seen any Milka commercials on Tv here? to create some buzz? I did not. When we visited Germany Milka commercials on Tv were very popular.

If there is not enough buzz created for a product to create an audience only a few people will know about it, and the masses will continue eating chocolate chip cookies! (The anti desert as I call them) No offense, if I had never, ever had the opportunity to travel outside Miami, I too would probably thought of them as "great"! But I can no longer do that.

Ritter Sport is the other chocolate that has a biscuit on it...also excellent chocolate...Target brought them first per what I saw as we never shop at specialty stores because they're not conveniently located to us. I like chocolate, but not when it's over 15 miles away! LOL Not that much...hahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:22 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top