U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 12:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,091 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My girlfriend and I are moving to Florida in a few months and are very excited for the change. We are both in healthcare--I have secured a job at Tampa General Hospital, and she will be working for a clinic in Sarasota. We feel fortunate that we were both able to get jobs in the same region, but finding an area to live that is equidistant to both of our employers is proving difficult.

Initially I thought St. Petersburg would be perfect, but since I-275 is less of a direct route, it would still take my girlfriend 45-50 minutes to drive from her clinic to the heart of St. Pete. If we lived in Tampa, it would take her 60 minutes (probably wishful thinking, without traffic) via I-75. We have been looking at the Hyde Park neighborhood since it is so close to my work and is such a cool area, but it seems unfair that she would be stuck with the long drive.

We could also live right in Sarasota so that she would be close to work, but I will be working 12-24 hour shifts a few days a week at the hospital, and it could be dangerous for me to be driving an hour home after a sleepless night of work. However if Sarasota had enough to offer in terms of quality of life, I think I could manage.

Some info about us that might help: We are both on the same page that we want to live somewhere safe, accessible to parks/recreation and fun restaurants and bars, and dog-friendly. We are looking only to rent at this time. Our combined annual income will be around $200,000 but we both carry significant student loan debt, so we can't be paying more than $1,600-1,800 monthly. We are both in our mid-20s but live more like retirees--we usually spend our free time at happy hour, going to dinner at unique local restaurants, taking our dog out for walks or to the park or with us to dog-friendly restaurant/bar patios, going to the beach, reading and doing projects at home, and exercising outdoors.

I would very much appreciate perspective on Tampa, St. Pete, Sarasota, or anything in between. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 01:09 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,605,731 times
Apollo Beach comes to mind...But....that whole 75 stretch between Tampa & Sarasota sucks!
Have you looked at Lakewood Ranch in Sarasota? Not half way for u, but nice to live in ...it's tough, because there isn't a lot that's nice in between!

Riverview, Gibsonton both such really...

Old 10-16-2013, 04:49 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 808,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kona88 View Post
I have secured a job at Tampa General Hospital, and she will be working for a clinic in Sarasota. We feel fortunate that we were both able to get jobs in the same region, but finding an area to live that is equidistant to both of our employers is proving difficult. ...

Some info about us that might help: We are both on the same page that we want to live somewhere safe, accessible to parks/recreation and fun restaurants and bars, and dog-friendly. We are looking only to rent at this time. Our combined annual income will be around $200,000 but we both carry significant student loan debt, so we can't be paying more than $1,600-1,800 monthly. We are both in our mid-20s but live more like retirees--we usually spend our free time at happy hour, going to dinner at unique local restaurants, taking our dog out for walks or to the park or with us to dog-friendly restaurant/bar patios, going to the beach, reading and doing projects at home, and exercising outdoors.
Two neighborhoods here with a decent number of young professionals with good jobs and no kids: downtown St. Pete and Hyde Park. If you're trying to meet in the middle, downtown St. Pete is your best bet. It's not perfect, but your only better option, from a split-the-commute perspective, is in the middle of nowhere Hillsborough where there's nothing to do. Lakewood Ranch, you'll be the rogue unmarried couple without kids. Sarasota, (unless there happens to be a good tourist crowd) you'll be 30-50 years younger than the average person at happy hour. It's tough to make friends living somewhere like that. We (late 20s then, early 30s now), started out at the beach... it was a very isolating winter, hanging out with the snowbirds. But we were a short drive to downtown St. Pete, so we drove into town to make friends. Someplace like Apollo Beach, you're basically stranded out there.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I'd seriously think about how long she's going to work in Sarasota before job-hunting in Tampa or St. Pete.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:10 PM

153 posts, read 158,861 times
As some only a little older than you and married without children, I agree with everything BBI said to a T. Downtown St Pete was my first thought, his/her thoughts on Sarasota/Lakewood Ranch are spot on, and I completely agree on the job hunting out of Sarasota as well.

Finding jobs for both of you was amazing and I give you props, but personally I'd assume she'd be switching out of hers to something more local. Of course I don't know how that 200k splits, so if she landed a killer job in Sarasota maybe its a little harder than that.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:45 AM

15,112 posts, read 31,005,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBI View Post
Two neighborhoods here with a decent number of young professionals with good jobs and no kids: downtown St. Pete and Hyde Park. If you're trying to meet in the middle, downtown St. Pete is your best bet. It's not perfect, but your only better option, from a split-the-commute perspective, is in the middle of nowhere Hillsborough where there's nothing to do. Lakewood Ranch, you'll be the rogue unmarried couple without kids. Sarasota, (unless there happens to be a good tourist crowd) you'll be 30-50 years younger than the average person at happy hour. It's tough to make friends living somewhere like that. We (late 20s then, early 30s now), started out at the beach... it was a very isolating winter, hanging out with the snowbirds. But we were a short drive to downtown St. Pete, so we drove into town to make friends. Someplace like Apollo Beach, you're basically stranded out there.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I'd seriously think about how long she's going to work in Sarasota before job-hunting in Tampa or St. Pete.
Sarasota is still a GREAT place to live. And there are plenty of younger people here, with more moving here all the time.

That said, it will be difficult to find a great place to live that is equidistant from the jobs. You might look somewhere in Manatee County, Bradenton is a smaller city but the downtown is really up and coming; it's like a mini-St. Pete. I would consider this area the most equi-distant and good place to live. I do NOT recommend Apollo Beach or Riverview as was mentioned upthread. Definitely check out parts of Bradenton near downtown and the river. The downtown has several bars and there are TWO new craft breweries opening this fall! There is also a fantastic "Riverwalk" park along the river that has won national accolades.

Just for reference, we live on the north end of Sarasota (Manatee County) near airport, hubby drives to downtown Tampa each day - one hour with no issues ever on I-75. You can chop off about 20 minutes if you are up in Bradenton. I would not recommend living anywhere where you have to go over major bridges each day (i.e. no St. Pete) Also, if living in or near downtown Bradenton, it's only a hop and skip over the Skyway to downtown St. Pete for more to do in your leisure time. Also, Bradenton has some of the best beaches you will find anywhere in the area.

Good luck!

Old 10-17-2013, 07:50 AM

9,078 posts, read 8,217,916 times
I agree with downtown St. Pete.

Good luck and congrats! What an exciting time for y'all!

Old 10-17-2013, 07:59 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,605,731 times
If I was them, I would either live in St Pete, or Sarasota; I only suggested AB out of distance really!

Old 10-17-2013, 08:49 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Apollo Beach, Ruskin, Parrish to name a few. Even Bradenton is a possibility.

I personally wouldn't try to split the distance. I would pick one or the other and then work towards one getting a job transfer depending on where you want to live. But that is strictly my opinion.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:52 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 808,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Sarasota is still a GREAT place to live. And there are plenty of younger people here, with more moving here all the time. ... You might look somewhere in Manatee County, Bradenton is a smaller city but the downtown is really up and coming...
Sarasota's a great place to live for someone in her 60s. It's a bad spot for an unmarried, childless couple in their mid-20s that wants to live near other young professionals without kids. Very few people in Sarasota fit that profile. The OP should skip Brandenton, too. There's zero young professional community there. The little downtown does have 2-3 small blocks with a handful of bars. Bradenton's a good place to grab lunch and a spring training game, but that's about it.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,091 times
Wow, thanks for the insightful responses. We are currently in Tennessee and have no ties here (just finished graduate school)--and the move was initiated by me landing a dream career-starting position in Tampa. The girlfriend started job searching hoping to find something within the next 6-9 months, but this opportunity in Sarasota came up immediately so we were thrilled. She would be transferring within the national organization for which she currently works, which makes it even more appealing.

However, after reading your serious concerns about the commute, I think she is starting to reconsider, or may ask them to defer employment until a position at one of their Tampa or St. Pete offices opens up. I assumed Sarasota would be awesome because of beach access, beautiful views, and spring training baseball--but really, having lived in Maine for most of my life, I don't know much about Florida at all, and my ignorance may be showing. I don't think we would do well being stuck amongst the snowbirds--we really struggled with the social scene here in East Tennessee (not much to do, more of an older crowd), and would be really disappointed if we ended up in the same situation.

She's really excited about the idea of Hyde Park, but based on your responses I think we will also start looking at downtown St. Pete. Is downtown small enough that anywhere in that area should be fine? Or are there specific neighborhoods downtown that are better than others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or