U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 08:59 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 806,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
... do you live there as well or do you commute? If you commute, generally where from and how long is your commute time? ... My instinct is not to buy an older home - for all the obvious reasons. ...

Older homes require more maintenance. An inspection is only going to catch so much. I don't want to buy a home and within 2 years the a/c unit needs replacing or some such. Also, you run into the issue of - is there lead paint? is there asbestos in the drywall compound? Not to mention they were not built to current storm codes.
I work in the Gateway/Carillon area and live just north of downtown St. Pete. It's a 15 minute commute, door to door; traffic's almost always very light, even at peak rush hour. I usually just take 4th St to Roosevelt.

In Pinellas outside of St. Pete proper, there are only a few major roads, so they get jammed up at rush hour. And rush hour traffic in Tampa can be slow, so if you have to drive through Tampa, that can slow you down, too. For a rough approximation of rush hour from north Pinellas or developments north of Tampa, just double google maps times (e.g., places like Dunedin and Westchase are about an hour).

Also, rush hour here is pretty short. In the morning, traffic is usually very light at 730, and light again a little after 9. Evening rush hour is cleared out by 6 or 630. Not sure where you're moving here from, but rush hour isn't never-ending like NYC or DC.

Three things I'd note re older homes. First, a lot of homes here were built to be as easy as possible for retirees. Block on slab construction, very easy stuff. Second, things like roofs and A/C units typically don't last very long here. Most older homes, you're not going to have originals; there's a very good chance that the roof will be up to storm code and qualify for wind credits. Third, in most nicer older homes, the major systems (plumbing, electric and HVAC) will have been updated fairly recently. Whenever the upgrades took place, there's no reason to think you'd have maintenance costs in excess of homes built at the same time. That's all a long way of saying that there are a lot of homes here where "older" doesn't mean much other than the age of some cinder blocks. Of course, if you want new, you want new; and that's absolutely your prerogative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 09:37 AM

15 posts, read 19,124 times
I live in Sarasota and make the drive to the Snell Isle area daily. I leave at 6:30 a.m. and usually get here around 7:15ish. Leaving at 4 usually takes between 45 and 60 minutes to get home.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:51 AM

61 posts, read 160,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
... do you live there as well or do you commute? If you commute, generally where from and how long is your commute time?

I've been looking at housing in the greater St. Pete area and finding that it's mostly smaller, older homes or newish townhomes that are up for sale. We would really prefer to live & work & be near the school rather than do a lot of driving. But it's looking like that's not going to be the reality.

My instinct is not to buy an older home - for all the obvious reasons.

I would love opinions from those who live or work in the St. Pete area.

Thank you.
I live and work in St. Pete. The drive to/from anywhere in South Tampa depending on time of day is going to run you at least 20-30 minutes. There are some newer homes in St. Pete but you probably need a Realtor to help you find them because they can sort in the MLS by age of home. There is even some new construction happening but again they are tricky to find without an agent - there are a few off of 8th Ave N close to downtown. Close to downtown you are going to find the 1920-1940's homes in the Old Northeast but there are also homes built 1960's to 1980's north of that area. Plus, like I said, some newer construction mixed in - there are a few streets in the 33702 zip where newer homes were constructed in 2005ish timeframe. Hope that helps.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:39 AM

4,468 posts, read 3,854,824 times
Thanks, everyone.

We're planning our second preliminary trip to scout the area even more.

I know we are spoiled by where we live now - work is no more than 15 minutes away from home.

A few of you have told me about your commute times - I would love to have a few more examples. Especially if you drive across the bridge (I275) from the Sarasota area. We are considering that as an option, too.

Thanks! This place is really great for information!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay