U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 09:59 AM

693 posts, read 957,687 times

Advertisements

Thanks HW I will check them out, I will need a grill upon my return. We also grill out 4-5 nights a week so its a worthwhile investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 10:10 AM

8,706 posts, read 8,789,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
Where are some places to purchase a Weber in the area?
Lowes

Old 10-19-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Weber makes a few different lines of grills. The Spirit is their low-end gas grill, built in China, etc. The Weber Genesis is their mid-range grill which is built in the USA, and the Summit is their high-end "I won the lottery" grill.

The Genesis grills are primarily stainless steel but the top housing comes in different colors... black, green, red, copper (my favorite), and stainless.

Thanks for the replies so far. It's much appreciated.

Home Depot and Lowes both carry Weber grills.
I got the copper one. My favorite as well. Try to find a 10% off Lowes certificate before purchasing. Save you some bucks.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:12 AM

3,924 posts, read 10,297,277 times
Quote:
Weber makes a few different lines of grills. The Spirit is their low-end gas grill, built in China, etc. The Weber Genesis is their mid-range grill which is built in the USA, and the Summit is their high-end "I won the lottery" grill.

The Genesis grills are primarily stainless steel but the top housing comes in different colors... black, green, red, copper (my favorite), and stainless.

Thanks for the replies so far. It's much appreciated.

Home Depot and Lowes both carry Weber grills.
Thanks HW. After searching on CL and seeing the pictures, I realized red isn't the only color . I had no idea Weber grills were so popular but after 5-years use, I'm definitely converted. All the others we previously owned either needed replacement parts or the bottom rusted out.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
Thanks HW. After searching on CL and seeing the pictures, I realized red isn't the only color . I had no idea Weber grills were so popular but after 5-years use, I'm definitely converted. All the others we previously owned either needed replacement parts or the bottom rusted out.
Weber = no rust even when exposed to the elements 100% of the time (I tested and proved that one ), the most consistent temps and made extremely sturdy with heavy grade materials. Just try lifting it compared to all the other brands. That's also a great thing with some of the windy thunderstorms we get here.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:17 AM

747 posts, read 1,575,629 times
I have a Weber, but I did have to replace the Ignitor after 3 years; it sort of deteriorated in the humidity. I would never purchase anything else.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:23 AM

3,012 posts, read 4,840,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Weber = no rust even when exposed to the elements 100% of the time (I tested and proved that one ), the most consistent temps and made extremely sturdy with heavy grade materials. Just try lifting it compared to all the other brands. That's also a great thing with some of the windy thunderstorms we get here.
Just lifting the lid of a Weber Genesis at Lowes and then lifting the lid of a Char Broil immediately after paints a pretty clear picture, at least it did so for me.

I am pretty sure I am just going to pull the trigger on the Weber, but it just comes natural for me to move slowly on big purchases and to try and find a less expensive solution if possible. I guess it's from all these years with my wife who spends money like there's some kind of contest to see who goes broke first.

A friend of mine still owes me some money. He bought a bunch of my power equipment before I moved and has been paying me on a very relaxed installment plan. What he still owes me will easily cover the new grill and I think he'll make good on it sometime in the next week or so. That'll make dropping the cash less painful.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Just lifting the lid of a Weber Genesis at Lowes and then lifting the lid of a Char Broil immediately after paints a pretty clear picture, at least it did so for me.

I am pretty sure I am just going to pull the trigger on the Weber, but it just comes natural for me to move slowly on big purchases and to try and find a less expensive solution if possible. I guess it's from all these years with my wife who spends money like there's some kind of contest to see who goes broke first.

A friend of mine still owes me some money. He bought a bunch of my power equipment before I moved and has been paying me on a very relaxed installment plan. What he still owes me will easily cover the new grill and I think he'll make good on it sometime in the next week or so. That'll make dropping the cash less painful.
The Weber will be cheaper in the long run, as it will easily far outlast the others over the years with fewer repairs/replacement parts.

Go for it. You will not regret it.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:15 AM

2,630 posts, read 1,923,135 times
You have to consider how much of the deck you want a grill to take up. And, what if you want to store it somewhere when you leave (if you do in the summer)? I look for flip down sides. Very important! Way smaller footprint and easier to store. You can cook just about anything with the one they sell at Lowes - I think it was $189 now reduced. You don't need no side burner - waste of space. I never used mine on my old one - ever. On my new one, the sides flip down. Always keep the grill out of the rain with a cover, otherwise you are looking for a rusted piece of junk. Mine cooks as much stuff as I need to cook and the reviews by people that thought there was not enough space to cook far as I'm concerned, don't really know how to use one. You can get one at Lowes for under $200 that will cook as well as you need to (the brand name escapes me...just go on the site and look for the one with the flip down sides, no side burner, and ignore the reviews, they are untrue).

OH...PS there is one model on there that can accomodate a rotisserie. If to do it all over again, that's what I would buy. Rotisseries on a barbecue have been largely done away with but are very very useful - if you can find one.

My neighbors bought one of those stainless steel humongous things. Takes up half of their yard, just as dirty and greasy as anybody elses, cost a ton of money, and you can hardly navigate around the behomoth in their yard. Whatta waste of money. My barbecued stuff is so much better tasting, for one third the price.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:12 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 808,947 times
Quote:
I am trying to decide if I really should just spend the extra cash on the Weber Genesis or if I can get by with spending half as much on a Brinkmann with similar features.
Depends on how you're looking to use it. Even the cheapest, flimsiest grill should last you a good 3 years as long as you keep it covered when you're not using it. If a little $70 gas grill is all you need to do what you want to do, buying a $700 Weber Genesis wouldn't pay off for 30 years.

From what's in your post, all you need is a grill with a lot of space above the cooking surface. Genesis seems like total overkill. You should be able to get it done for $150 or less, which means you could run through 5 of them -- 15 years of grilling -- before you'd spent $700 on hardware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
We have a Weber. ... it does very well - particularly with maintaining a constant temperature - something the others we had couldn't do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
You don't need no side burner - waste of space. I never used mine on my old one - ever. ... there is one model on there that can accomodate a rotisserie.
Good examples of how individualized this is. To maintain constant temps, I'm using the offset box, not gas, and I use my side burner. Also, I like the rotisserie idea, but that's not something I'd pay extra for since all you need are a couple of holes in your grill. (And thanks to twinbrook, I may need have just figured out what I'm doing this weekend...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or