Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 08:00 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times

Advertisements

Since moving here last November, we've been getting by with a small portable stainless-steel gas grill. It works well enough, but is not big enough to do beercan-chicken, and other things that aren't flat like burgers, hot dogs, ribs etc. I gave away the one we had at our old house to a friend before we moved. Even though it didn't look like much, it worked great. But it was not worth transporting 1000 miles. I've been casually shopping for the last several months, but now I'm getting ready to buy one, since everything we needed to do to the house to make it our own is pretty much done.

Pretty much every salesperson who has engaged me whenever I am scoping out the gas grills tells me that because of the conditions here, people go through grills quickly unless they spend the big bucks for a Weber. So, I am trying to decide if I really should just spend the extra cash on the Weber Genesis or if I can get by with spending half as much on a Brinkmann with similar features. I actually saw a Kenmore which was remarkably similar to the Genesis, and some quick internet research tells me it is in fact made by Weber for Sears, but is a bit less expensive.

The main covered portion of my lanai is 12' deep by 44' wide so I can store the grill back in the far corner when not in use. Not sure if covered or uncovered is better. Up north, my grill was out back uncovered year-round because I grilled year-round. It didn't matter if there was snow on the ground or whatever.

That being said, I defer to the long-term residents of the area for their advice. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 09:45 PM

472 posts, read 547,156 times
I had a Weber Genesis too for 12 yrs and was sad to give it away also when I moved here but it was a natural gas model and I wasn't sure if I'd have a house with natural gas line here (and sure enough I did not). Not to be a grill snob but you know what they say - everyone eventually get a Weber. Those units are built like tanks. The only thing I replaced on it after all those years were new flavor bars and sprung for some new knobs. It pretty much sat outside under covered patio and got used year round when I was in Texas.
Once I got settled here, I scoped out Craigslist for two months for a replacement and got lucky and scored a clean older model Weber Genesis with a side burner for a mere $75 with an extra LP tank to boot. Cleaned it up a little and it looked practically brand new. Weber parts are super easy to find and repair/replace. I'm pretty sure it'll last me 10-15 yrs easy if not longer. I use it just about every other day here for the past year. The only thing I miss is the natural gas line so I don't have to worry about swapping LP tanks.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:57 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Weber Genesis for sure. Weber is the ONLY grill we buy.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:13 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,583,047 times
I vote Webber . Going on 12 plus years as well. Cast Iron Grates are nice. Costco just had a nice sale on the vision grills, similar to the egg. Gas grills are nice but in Florida you need all the toys for those low and slow cooks.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:18 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,365,693 times
I am not familiar with the Weber, but I would take strong exception to what they are saying.

I have a stainless steel Sears LP gas grille that I bought in the late 1990s that works just fine and has required little or nothing in the way of service or repairs over this time.

A couple years ago I put a new set of burners and "deflectors" in it, which cost me about $130 and took all of maybe 5 minutes to do.

I would attribute the longevity of something like this to the level of care you give it. My grille gets cleaned every time I use it and the bottom traps cleaned out every week or two depending on usage. It gets used probably 2-3 times a week at minimum, so it's not sitting around unused. It is also kept out of the elements when not being used, too.

I believe that a lot of people are prone to roll it out, light it up, turn it off and cover it up (or leave it sit uncovered and uncleaned) when they are done. Leaving old food residue traps moisture on and around the metal parts, causing them to rust prematurely. Leaving the grille out in the elements accelerates decay as well.

I am sure the Webers are nice, but I believe that properly caring for any grille will make a significant difference in not only how long it lasts but how well it works.

RM

Old 10-19-2013, 09:49 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I am not familiar with the Weber, but I would take strong exception to what they are saying.

RM
If you are not familiar with Weber (which is shocking), then I don't know how you can take exception. Best advice is to get familiar with Weber and then you will know why we are all saying Weber......hands down.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:52 AM

693 posts, read 1,137,762 times
Where are some places to purchase a Weber in the area?

Old 10-19-2013, 09:53 AM

693 posts, read 1,137,762 times
Where are some places one can purchase a Weber in Tampa?

Old 10-19-2013, 09:56 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
We have a Weber. Not sure about that Genesis thing. A friend of my husband's gave it to us about 5 years ago because he's single and never used it. We have used it several times a week since then. I've never heard much about grilling brands but it does very well - particularly with maintaining a constant temperature - something the others we had couldn't do. It's set on our covered patio since and still looks good though I'm constantly chasing the lizards off it. We're cooking buffalo wings this afternoon.

Edit: I just looked on Craigslist and someone in West Pasco has a Weber Genesis (silver) with cover, 2 tanks and grill tools for $200. You might snag a bargain though it won't be new.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 10-19-2013 at 10:06 AM..

Old 10-19-2013, 09:58 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
We have a Weber. Not sure about that Genesis thing. A friend of my husband's gave it to us about 5 years ago. It's red. Are they all red? We have used it several times a week since then. I've never heard much about grilling brands but it does very well - particularly with maintaining a constant temperature - something the others we had couldn't do. It's set on our covered patio since and still looks good though I'm constantly chasing the lizards off it. We're cooking buffalo wings this afternoon.
Weber makes a few different lines of grills. The Spirit is their low-end gas grill, built in China, etc. The Weber Genesis is their mid-range grill which is built in the USA, and the Summit is their high-end "I won the lottery" grill.

The Genesis grills are primarily stainless steel but the top housing comes in different colors... black, green, red, copper (my favorite), and stainless.

Thanks for the replies so far. It's much appreciated.

Home Depot and Lowes both carry Weber grills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: