U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 05:15 AM

165 posts, read 468,526 times

Advertisements

I posted this in another thread, but felt considering all the negativity here lately it deserved its own thread.

If you are considering a move to Tampa or FL in general, please do research and be careful about listening to the overwhelming amount of negative people here. There is truth in what they say, but it is greatly exaggerated. There are many who are saying that living in the Tri-State (NY, NJ, CT) area isn't much different financially than living in Tampa. It really depends upon your situation and perspective. Many have talked about the taxes, but when you do some research you find out interesting things.

For example take this tidbit:

"Also, because about half of property taxes go to fund education, some people without children in school object to paying. New Jersey has the highest property taxes, followed by New Hampshire, Connecticut, New York and Rhode Island. The lowest five, in order: Louisiana, Alabama, West Virginia, Mississippi and Arkansas. For a state-by-state comparison of property taxes in 2005, the most recent year for which figures are available, click here." (The best and worst states for taxes - MSN Money)

Anyone who tells you that the NY city area is cheaper than FL is either very biased or trying to sell you something.

or how about this:
"What is no surprise is that in 2006 New Jersey ranked number one among the 50 states in the median property taxes paid by homeowners. (The median is the point where half of the homeowners pay more and half pay less.) But, what is surprising is how far ahead of the rest of the country we are. New Jersey's median property tax of $5,773 was nearly 40 percent higher than second-ranking New Hampshire ($4,136), nearly 43 percent above than third-ranking Connecticut ($4,049), nearly 75 percent more than fourth-ranking New York ($3,301), and almost 81 percent higher than fifth-ranking Massachusetts ($3,195)! Clearly, we will not be toppled from our top-ranking perch anytime soon." (Surprise, surprise: new property tax rankings - NJVoices: James Hughes and Joseph Seneca)

The bottom line is every place has good and bad and there are always trade offs. You need to decide what is best for you. It is very scary to come in here and read very negative opinions from a few vocal people. Heck, I love FL and find some of these posts scary. I just caution people to be careful confusing a point of view with facts. Even when considering 'facts' one should consider the interpetation of facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 06:01 AM

192 posts, read 1,076,095 times
Thanks for being the voice of reason vis a vis the exagerations and distortions of fact that we often see on this forum.......I wholeheartedly agree Spongedaddy!

Old 11-20-2007, 06:44 AM

79 posts, read 302,519 times
Agreed! If you take the negative posts to heart (and there are so many of them), then no one will move there and everyone should be moving out of there.

Which is probably just what they want to happen....

Old 11-20-2007, 06:48 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,625,809 times
Again, I think it's a little "weird" that people would make a life decision such as moving somewhere based upon a few posters (positive or negative) to a Forum, when there is a population of nearly 360k in the city of Tampa alone, and over 1.2 million in the immediate Bay area.
It's ok to get some information and opinions, but it's the same few people day in and out making the comments(do you really think the few people on this thing really speak for the entire area?).
Do your homework, check out facts and statistics, talk to a realtor, friends, co-workers and family, read the local papers or local blogs for a while, have a job lined up and speak with HR, contact the schools, and of course, visit and talk to the locals and potential neighbors.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:57 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,033,518 times
i bet that going to this forum for info is only a fraction of all the research potential relocators to florida do. you can learn so much here instead of relying upon books. no matter how people get their info, sometimes they just have to find out for themselves and if they make a mistake then hopefully they'll consider it a learning experience. i dont think it's fair however to scare people away from moving here because it could very well be the best thing they ever did. also i think a florida basher should take into consideration where the future relocator is moving FROM. there are so many states that are so incredibly yucky compared to florida.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:19 AM

1,480 posts, read 4,479,701 times
I am one who posts many negative threads about Tampa. Here's another one: Tampa is ranked 39 for middle schools in the country. Ranking of Middle Schools in USA

But as these people say, it should be noted that people who are generally happy don't bother to write about it at websites like these. Like customer service, who calls for any other reason than to complain? People like me post comments to vent frustration. Every place has it's problems, life is a compromise. It all depends on what you're looking for in a city. Take these comments with "a grain of salt." (whatever that means)

Old 11-21-2007, 11:14 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,033,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
I am one who posts many negative threads about Tampa. Here's another one: Tampa is ranked 39 for middle schools in the country. Ranking of Middle Schools in USA

But as these people say, it should be noted that people who are generally happy don't bother to write about it at websites like these. Like customer service, who calls for any other reason than to complain? People like me post comments to vent frustration. Every place has it's problems, life is a compromise. It all depends on what you're looking for in a city. Take these comments with "a grain of salt." (whatever that means)
The type of honesty you have is refreshing.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:29 AM

25,877 posts, read 39,142,774 times
To Eastern Roamer. Do you know how big this country is? I'm very happy with my kids Middle School and he is doing great. I know a lot about the Europeon level of school which is pretty high, and there are good and bad school in Florida, but Wesley Chapel has great public school!!

I'm so happy that finally people are putting positive threads about Tamapa/Florida. Some people don't respect what they have until they loose it.... Better be happy now.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:11 PM

436 posts, read 1,213,053 times
I so agree. In Philly I had neighbors who couldn't agree with whether we lived in a good neighborhood or not! We all had similar houses, paid the same taxes, and had children in the same school. To some, it was a great neighborhood; to others it was going downhill. If people can't even agree with a small area, you can imagine how diverse we would have to be in discussing towns, cities, or even on a larger level, the whole state. My biggest issue with the negativity, aside from gross exaggerations, is how the entire state gets dumped on for problems in one area.

Old 11-22-2007, 04:59 AM

4,503 posts, read 6,576,347 times
Thumbs up Good posting, Spongedaddy!

"The bottom line is every place has good and bad and there are always trade offs. You need to decide what is best for you. It is very scary to come in here and read very negative opinions from a few vocal people. Heck, I love FL and find some of these posts scary. I just caution people to be careful confusing a point of view with facts. Even when considering 'facts' one should consider the interpetation of facts."-- spongedaddy

Intelligent posting, what most persons post here is their point of view. And we are all very different!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay