U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2013, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 844 times

Advertisements

Hi,
[FONT=tahoma]My husband is AD military and we will be moving to the Tampa area as he will be stationed at MacDill AFB. I'm starting my search for a school for my two children. I have two sons, my youngest will be entering the 3rd grade and my oldest will be starting 5th grade in August 2014.[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma][/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma]My oldest son has a diagnosis of ASD and ADHD combined type. He is currently attending public school in VA, and receives special education services via IEP. [/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma][/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma]I'm very interested in learning about the schools (both public and private) in the Tampa area. Specifically which ones are better than others with regards to overall philosophy regarding students with disabilities, inclusion, program offerings, how they address challenging behaviors, etc. Are there any elementary schools that I should absolutely not even consider? [/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma][/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma]The school is the driver for where we live... although we would prefer a home no more than a 30 min. commute from MacDill, if at all possible. We are looking to rent up to 2K/month.[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma][/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma]When you have a student with a disability it's a whole different ball game when looking at schools, so I'm really hoping that someone here might be able to offer some assistance?[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma][/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma]Thanks in advance!![/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma][/FONT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 03:17 AM

1 posts, read 700 times
lockwoodjd..its bit old post but want to check if you have some information now regarding Elementary schools in Tampa which can provide good services for ASD,ADHD & Speech. I am planning to move from Singapore and looking something in New Tampa area. I heard Pride, Clark and TampaPalms Elementary schools are good & provide good services under ESE program. but would like to hear from somebody who can provide some input on these.

I have tried to collect information on greatschools but there is nothing much mentioned about ESE program or Special education in schools.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:35 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,547 posts, read 3,654,330 times
ESE services vary from school to school depending on the staffing requirements in Hillsborough County. There is no "good school" for specific disabilities, as services are provided at a given school based on the needs of the students.

In many cases, services will be clustered at a given school in the area and transportation provided to that school for students in a given area, however, this can and does change on an annual basis depending on staffing and student needs.

If you have a student with disabilities, they will be screened upon enrollment in the District and staffed based on the results of that screening. Preliminary information will be used, if available, to properly staff them upon enrollment, as screening can take many months to complete (typically 45 days, if I recall correctly.)

Your best approach is to find a good area to live and work from there.

A 30 minute commute to MacDill will seriously limit your choices in this area. Move that to 40 minutes and you open the field significantly. I would encourage you to speak to the BHO as soon as possible, as I am sure they can provide plenty of suggestions in this area.

Westchase and South Tampa will limit you to the 30 minute commute. Consider a long commute and you add places like Lutz, Bloomingdale and Fishhawk.

If you have specific questions you can PM me directly.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay