Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 06:33 PM

789 posts, read 1,849,090 times

Advertisements

St. Petersburg, Fla.

Population: 244,800 (39% over age 50)
Housing costs: $108,000 to buy a home/$1,000 a month to rent
Cost of living index: 94 (100 is average)

Can't imagine retirement without a beach? In St. Pete you can dip your toes in the Gulf of Mexico or Tampa Bay -- plus play a round of golf, eat virtually any type of cuisine, and see famous art, all in a single day.

While St. Petersburg is undoubtedly a retiree hotspot, the city has also drawn more young families in recent years, says local realtor Judy Horvath. The mix helps keep the city vibrant and stocked with boutiques, galleries, and restaurants.

Where to live
Downtown: The market for new apartments and condos was flattened by the bust, but developments are now back on track and in many cases selling out quickly. New two-bedrooms downtown start at around $300,000, says St. Petersburg agent Rachel Sartain.
Surrounding neighborhoods: If that's too expensive, going five or 10 minutes outside of downtown brings prices down dramatically; condos in many central areas start in the $200,000 range, says Sartain.

What to do
Beaches: Two of the nation's best (according to TripAdvisor readers) are just a 10-mile drive from downtown, including North Beach, located in the 1,140-acre Fort De Soto Park.
Art: Try the Dalí Museum for works by the Spanish surrealist, or the Museum of Fine Arts for Monet and O'Keeffe.
Sports: Tropicana Field is home to the Tampa Bay Rays. There are also plenty of golf courses, including Mangrove Bay, a par-72 championship course. At $25 a round, these municipal greens may be the city's best bargain.

Taxes
Retirement income is not taxed. Permanent residents get a property tax exemption of up to $50,000.

Income tax: None
Sales tax: 7%
Median property tax: $1,080

St. Petersburg, Fla. - Best Places to Retire - Money Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 09:46 PM

35,309 posts, read 20,678,405 times
oh I saw a diff write up but they will say anything on paper... I like St Pete, don't get me wrong, but the " retirement crowd has to SHARE a bit to a upcoming younger crowd for the area to survive.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:31 PM

94 posts, read 154,132 times
we went to Lakewood hi school ( south st pete) left in "75" never to look back. BUT at age 60 we think St pete is the spot to grow old . (At least during the winter) been looking for a shack for 1yr and not had any luck yet

Old 10-29-2013, 02:28 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,478,909 times
Bought me a place at Waterside at Coquina Key at the bottom of the crash and never looked back - I can't think of anywhere else I'd like to retire.
It's a really well-run community with a great HOA and an excellent mix of retirees and working stiffs.
St Pete is a great small city with plenty of fantastic bars and restaurants.
And me and the wife generally spend at least one day a week at the beach in Passe-a-Grille.
Anytime we fancy a change we either bimble down to Key West or up the coast to New Orleans on a road trip.
We consider ourselves to be incredibly lucky.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:24 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,210,162 times
curious how flood insurance rates have affected retirees in St Pete - who seemingly would be on fixed incomes and unable to afford steep increases in home insurance rates.....St Pete, if anywhere would be taking a direct hit if a hurricane hit the area, along w/ the storm surge. Think that would be an important consideration. Living downtown St Pete would seem to be a decent place to live with all the happenings down there (Rays, Mahaffey concerts, Rowdies soccer, USFSP, Dali) - but would seem to be expensive for a retiree to live (expensive rent). Seems like good access to healthcare, though - major medical centers right downtown.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:15 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,061,284 times
I agree with it being a great place to retire to, planning to do that ourselves, we live on other side of county and love beach area, but its all going on downtown and I want to enjoy the walking/galleries/culture etc. I have an invite to a preview of the new condos on Snell Isle, not exactly downtown, but am going to see what they are offering this week, and hoping they might be a little less steep than downtown condo prices. Will keep you posted.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:40 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,677,923 times
I personally wouldn't retire in St. Pete but that's just me. I can see the surrounding areas...but not St. Pete.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:50 AM

17,453 posts, read 38,833,992 times
It's nice to see a positive writeup. The whole Gulf coast from St. Pete down through Naples is a great place to retire, depending on what one wants. Each city has it's own vibe. I like St. Pete, but happy where we are in Sarasota/Bradenton.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:12 PM

789 posts, read 1,849,090 times
Yes...it's curious the article didn't mention flood insurance, but I think that is because it is a nationwide issue. Ask the residents around the areas hit during Sandy; they are looking at the same price increases.

I like Clearwater, Dunedin, and Sarasota/Bradenton myself. I work in St. Pete and I agree with the others. The entire Gulf coast is a special place that I'd be proud to call home.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:03 PM

4,972 posts, read 7,156,369 times
I like the West or Pittsburgh for retirement. After 40+ years here, Florida has just wore me out physically and mentally. What I wouldn't give for some non-summer like weather. That being said, St. Pete is a wonderful city, been my home for most of my life and I wouldn't live anywhere else in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay