Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 03:03 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
The majority of your posts are always how bad everything is. I cant imagine you ever seeing the good in things. Being in the military and in service to the US government for most of my life I have lived all over the United States and overseas and one thing I can say is true wherever I have lived is a smile and a hello always makes for good conversations and friendships.

I spent 4 days in Tampa and had many nice conversations as a solo traveler at restaurants, gas stations, the beach among other places. I was really impressed with the friendliness and approachability of the residents of Florida. I actually sat in the toll booth pay lane on veterans expressway for about 5 minutes talking to the toll lady since no one was behind me, very nice woman.

So, I am not sure why you insist on spending day after day here talking about how bad Tampa and the anything to do with it is, including the residents. Why dont you get off your arse and smile and say hello to someone?
First of all, I don't know a single person who wouldn't smile and thank a troop! (maybe crack people won't).

I think it is not very polite of you to judge my experiences based on your own; were we both smiling around at any given time, and had the same reaction from people? I doubt it as I don't know you, and you don't know me.

Second of all, Like the above poster said; I too am a lot of fun to be around when in person...sadly the neighbors here won't even wave hello! What do you want me to do? jump in front of their car to make sure they saw me wave hello???? Ever since we moved out of Miami, and our little clique there, we haven't been able to find a replica of that in Tampa. A lot of people here work long hours, and then have to mow their lawns, as they can't or simply won't hire someone else to do it so they can go all out and socialize with the neighbors, we have kids, we drive them all over the place, we're busy! People are into various things, some like to go boating, some like theme parks etc. One family can afford theme parks others don't...it is very hard to get on the same page with other working folks. Assumptions like these will have you very disappointed once you move. Look at HWTech guy that moved to Spring Hill....we told him too that he won't find this....now he knows.

It's really not helping this forum (or any other) to speak about a place you never fully lived in yet! You're comparing your 4 days here as a tourist with someone who's lived here every day since birth! That's a fantastic comparison!

BTW Let me tell you something; the toll people are trapped in a booth for many hours; OF COURSE she was all dying to talk to someone, can you imagine for a second what kind of a completely lonely job that is??? You're comparing that with living here in a neighborhood day to day? Ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 03:07 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
If you want to find a way to socialize with your neighbors, just get an adorable Havanese puppy. They are freaking people magnets. We can't even go outside to enjoy anymore without a crowd running over to pet the puppy.......especially kids.
That is the cutest thing in the world! Looks like a doll! Soo cute!

You could train him to be a killer Havanese puppy! hahahahahahahahah or poop on command on other people! hahahahahahaha KIDDING!

Old 11-03-2013, 03:15 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaybri73 View Post
That is exteremly unique, we moved to Fl just over 4 months ago into a decent neighborhood with HOA. We dont have a pool or clubhouse though. After four months we have barely even seen anyone outside and have only talked to our direct neighbors a handful of times. I will say on Halloween I was so excited because hundreds of people were out and about and I loved handing out candy. People towing flatbeds with bails of hay and families piled in on lawn chairs. It was the first sense of community I have felt since moving in.
My experience is similar having been here a year. I've got some great immediate neighbors, but beyond that I don't know anyone else. But, on Halloween I was able to meet more folks from the neighborhood. And, I am seeing more people out when I walk my dog because the weather is nicer. Part of it is because we were in full-press home improvement mode for about the first 6-9 months plus work gets in the way of course. But now, the house is pretty much they way we want it.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:15 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Hello, all. Last weekend we went to the Neighborhood Halloween Party and last night we went to a going away party for our neighbors, who had rented here and wanted to buy, but the owner wouldn't sell, so they bought a house elsewhere. So as we were saying our farewells the well-traveled guests of honor talked about how unique our neighborhood is and how rare it is to find a welcoming place that has neighborhood parties at least once a month. (We celebrate birthdays, holidays, life events, etc.) This got me wondering, is this really such a rarity or are there lots of neighborhoods like ours in the Tampa Bay area? Thanks in advance for your input.
yes it is that rare especially these days, I would even say very very rare so seize the moment.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:18 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoUSF View Post
Am I the only one wondering where the OP lives?
I live in a small community in Riverview called Ashley Oaks. We researched for years before making the move and chose this particular community for its walkability to things we desired. I had no idea that this "friendliness factor" was so rare. Thank you for all of the responses.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:18 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
That must be aggrivating, especially for someome who doesent like kids.
Yep. They get their grubby, sticky, filthy hands all over the clean little pooch. And then we have to listen to their annoying kid talk. Like, like like. Ya know, ya know, ya know......

Old 11-03-2013, 03:23 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
That is the cutest thing in the world! Looks like a doll! Soo cute!

You could train him to be a killer Havanese puppy! hahahahahahahahah or poop on command on other people! hahahahahahaha KIDDING!
Her. And I do call her killer sometimes......LOL!
Attached Thumbnails
Neighborhood Parties - Are we really unique or were they just being nice?-image.jpg  

Old 11-03-2013, 03:35 PM

350 posts, read 333,418 times
We live in a sub-division in Odessa. We are on a cul-de-sac and have monthly Happy Hour parties. We celebrate holidays with Open Houses and go on "field trips" outside of our 'hood. We all have keys or codes to each others' houses and help being "the person home" for repairmen. We have a son who is severely handicapped and the teenagers come "hang out" with him so we can go to dinner by ourselves. There are young children who come read to him because he is non-threatening and they are not scared to practice reading with him. I LOVE MY 'hood and I LOVE Tampa!!!! We are so blessed!! Five years here and not a day goes by that I miss being in Indiana (55 years there).

Old 11-03-2013, 08:33 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Sounds like my Miami wahhhhh- oh well,., sniff,, enjoy that good neighborhood and don't let anyone ruin it. --

Old 11-03-2013, 11:10 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaybri73 View Post
After four months we have barely even seen anyone outside and have only talked to our direct neighbors a handful of times.
Maybe as the oppressive heat & humidity die down, people will not spend so much time basking in their air conditioning and instead come out and socialize?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay