Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 11:59 PM

693 posts, read 1,137,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by indytoflgirl View Post
We live in a sub-division in Odessa. We are on a cul-de-sac and have monthly Happy Hour parties. We celebrate holidays with Open Houses and go on "field trips" outside of our 'hood. We all have keys or codes to each others' houses and help being "the person home" for repairmen. We have a son who is severely handicapped and the teenagers come "hang out" with him so we can go to dinner by ourselves. There are young children who come read to him because he is non-threatening and they are not scared to practice reading with him. I LOVE MY 'hood and I LOVE Tampa!!!! We are so blessed!! Five years here and not a day goes by that I miss being in Indiana (55 years there).
Hmm, a cul-de-sac in Odessa? Wait!!! Dont you live in one of those toxic soulless sudivsions where everyone worships their granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances?!?! Surely you are lieing, this cant be!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 03:35 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,332,324 times
Block parties are not common anywhere in Florida. I only see them during gasparilla here in south Tampa. One of the neighborhoods I grew up in genuinely hated hated us because the neighborhood switched to a 55 and older community and my family was grandfathered in. If we even so much as went to the club house pool we would get evil stares. Lol.

We still went to the pool lots though. ^_^

Florida is NOT the place to be if you want friendly neighbors. I have lived in my current house for five years and I don't even know my neighbors names! We only sleep like 20 feet apart from each other too because it is a town home complex. Lol.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:02 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,606,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
Hmm, a cul-de-sac in Odessa? Wait!!! Dont you live in one of those toxic soulless sudivsions where everyone worships their granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances?!?! Surely you are lieing, this cant be!
Like others pointed out already: this IS the exception. It's not a common thing, and it will take you a lot of in-town moving to find that. Better buy some stocks in U-Haul. You don't need to believe me, and also don't need to be a smart Alec...but if that's all you got, then I hope you're happy! THAT attitude is sure not a way to have a block party here! Minimizing what LOCALS are telling you is flat out rude when you have not even lived here yet. Welcome to my Ignore List!

If you would read other threads, there are several folks here who talk about this too. Someone clearly stated in a thread here that they enjoy their privacy, and have no interest in being neighborly! I wonder what would you say to them?

Enjoy your denial!

Old 11-04-2013, 04:13 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,606,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Maybe as the oppressive heat & humidity die down, people will not spend so much time basking in their air conditioning and instead come out and socialize?
Wishful thinking.

It boils down to personalities, compatibility as far as what they enjoy doing, and "why" they live in Florida/Tampa.

People don't stop working when it cools off outside. Weather has nothing to do with it. In Tampa we get a very nice breeze, so even in the summer months it is still very enjoyable to take a walk in the evenings.

But, we know folks who are into boating; these folks are not going to spend one minute in their driveways talking with someone, they will spend every free minute boating; kayaking etc. All their off work time is spend on water. They moved here for the water. Others are into theme parks...we're into theme parks...which sometimes makes it hard to schedule playdates at home...we work all week, and naturally when the weekend rolls over we want to be out and about having fun! It's hard to find families that can enjoy that, and have the ability to come every time we go, and so on. Others play sports...others spend their weekends volunteering...or just sleeping like my next door neighbor who is very nice, but she's a firefighter...she's not home half the time, and when she is, she is resting.

It really depends on where you end up, and what that specific block is into; I am not sure why that's so hard to understand/believe/imagine etc. AND Some people are just extra snotty!

Old 11-04-2013, 04:16 AM

633 posts, read 1,011,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoUSF View Post
Am I the only one wondering where the OP lives?
No, I am wondering too.

OP, how about it??

Old 11-04-2013, 05:12 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,582,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I live in a small community in Riverview called Ashley Oaks. We researched for years before making the move and chose this particular community for its walkability to things we desired. I had no idea that this "friendliness factor" was so rare. Thank you for all of the responses.
The OP said Ashley Oaks.. But this can't be, not with all that traffic.. when do they have the time?

Old 11-04-2013, 06:34 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,891,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Maybe as the oppressive heat & humidity die down, people will not spend so much time basking in their air conditioning and instead come out and socialize?
People have been out and about, walking, biking, etc all day long, all year long in our neighborhood. I think people with life situations which are similar which naturally draw people to each other create more socialization, such as people with kids. My neighborhood has a complete mix of people, so you will see certain people always socializing, others like us just doing the wave hello or a quick hi and others who just ignore and go about their business.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:46 PM

145 posts, read 229,415 times
Quote:
....place that has neighborhood parties at least once a month. .
Only once a month? Bunch of stuck-up's

Old 11-05-2013, 02:29 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,667,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinballdad View Post
Only once a month? Bunch of stuck-up's
LOL. I'm willing to socialize more often - just invite us over.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:29 PM

145 posts, read 229,415 times
Quote:
LOL. I'm willing to socialize more often - just invite us over.

Lol. I may just have to do that. I am in Michigan for two more weeks, then I will be down for awhile(few months). This 50 year old can party still so don't worry about that Hey I just noticed you used this, "Us" word. What exactly is us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay