Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 02:51 PM

8 posts, read 13,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Spare us.

Texas boy is a term I have heard on numerous occasions. When I hear it I usually think of a young man in a cowboy hat.

To the OP, while I hate Tampa Bay and don't understand why you would want to move here!!! I would suggest staying in the southern parts of Pinellas County for affordability, nightlife, and proximity to the beaches. Make sure you rent though because I doubt you want to buy in that area if you plan on settling down and having a family and such.

Be ready to see more old people than you have ever experienced in your life living in Pinellas. You might find dating hard because you are definitely in the wrong demographic for that side of the ba. lol.
Thank you for your perspective.

So you would suggest south Tampa then?
I'm guessing that area is what you mean by other side of the bay...
It's definitely good to hear these things... Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 02:55 PM

8 posts, read 13,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asimegusta View Post
Exciting adventure you're undertaking!

That's just how I saw it when I moved here a few years ago. Any of those towns you mention, St Pete Beach, Treasure Island, even Madeira Beach would suit.
Also, since you don't have a commute, work online, and want the beach feel, the islands would give you a greater chance of being by the water than anywhere since they tend to be just a few blocks wide in many parts. You get the Gulf beaches and the Intracoastal waterway within biking or even walking distance.
Something to do on arrival: drive over any of the causeway bridges coming from St Pete towards St-Pete Beach or further south and then head north on Gulf Blvd towards Clearwater Beach to see the rentals and neighborhoods along the way. Much of Gulf Blvd has bikes lanes.

Apartment rental rates vary but there are many within your budget, just a block or so from the beach.

Another advantage of the beach communities, many short term rentals are available. That means you can rent 1-2-4 or 6 months, time enough to know if you like the neighborhood, explore St Pete / Clearwater metro, etc, without locking into a yearly contract before you're ready.
Thank you so much, very helpful.

This gives me some hope because what you describe is exactly what I'm looking for. I would love to live on the islands with a fairly short term lease... That would be great. I won't live by the water forever but it sure sounds like a good place to start...

Old 11-12-2013, 02:59 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParlayKB View Post
Thank you for your perspective.

So you would suggest south Tampa then?
I'm guessing that area is what you mean by other side of the bay...
It's definitely good to hear these things... Thanks
Yup, that is what I personally would recommend.

Use this map to see where good parts of town are. Stay in the blue areas.

The Racial Dot Map: One Dot Per Person for the Entire U.S.

The blue area all throughout the south part of Tampa is where all the young professionals live. That is also where a good chunk of the culture is. You will enjoy that area.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:02 PM

484 posts, read 761,282 times
One should use a "racial map" to determine where the good parts of town are? Wot. :O

Old 11-12-2013, 03:07 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamatem View Post
One should use a "racial map" to determine where the good parts of town are? Wot. :O
That map is the best indicator for good and bad neighborhoods that has ever been published. lol. Its unfortunate, but true.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:46 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times
I don't have much to add here, but I just want to welcome Kody and say that I think he'll be a GREAT addition to Tampa Bay.

I'd also like to suggest that maybe Sarasota would be a good option to look at.

Best of luck to you, Kody. We could use more like you here.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:20 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 940,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParlayKB View Post
This gives me some hope because what you describe is exactly what I'm looking for. I would love to live on the islands with a fairly short term lease... That would be great. I won't live by the water forever but it sure sounds like a good place to start...
FYI, there are no young professional beach communities here. Tourists during beach season and old people the other half of the year. We tried living at the beach when we moved here (late 20s then, early 30s now). Really bad decision, very isolating, particularly during winter. Ended up hanging out in downtown St. Pete all the time, and it was much easier to make friends once we moved downtown. FWIW, really like it here. Decent young professional community, usually lots going on. 15 mins to the gulf, but has a relaxed, beach vacation vibe and makes good use of the bay.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:05 AM

149 posts, read 259,742 times
Quote:
We tried living at the beach when we moved here (late 20s then, early 30s now). Really bad decision, very isolating, particularly during winter.
Sorry to hear about your bad personal experience in one town.

Quote:
Quote:
no young professional beach communities here. Tourists during beach season and old people the other half of the year
Your sweeping stereo-typical conclusions and negativiy about a wide community of 10 cities covering over about forty miles stretch are thought-provoking.

There are all kinds of communities there, depending on the town focus, one can find a mix of families with children, teens, young professionals, small business owners, retirees, married couples, singles ... that all live there for the life, among them, bike and fitness freaks, recycle and green freaks, fishing, board, kayak and boating freaks, music lovers and bar hoppers and of course the "sunset on the beach" religionists.

We have found that we have never had so many invites (as in, can I come over?) since living on the beach. Isolation? Don't think so.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:50 AM

21 posts, read 52,551 times
Dont overlook SWFL...Bonita Springs, Cape Coral, Ft Myers, Naples.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:03 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
If beaches are going to be a factor on location be aware there are no beaches worth mentioning on Tampa Bay, they are all 25 miles to the west on St Petersburg's western Gulf coast, Bicycling from Tampa would not be an easy or safe endeavor and would take a heck of a long time.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay