Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 11:52 AM

8 posts, read 13,048 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! My name is Kody and currently I live near Dallas, Texas. I've lived in Texas my whole life and feel that it is time for a change. I will be in Tampa on November 17-21st to hopefully find a place to live so I would really appreciate if you guys could steer me in the right direction on where I should live. I will put your suggestions to good use, I promise.

- I will be 27 in December.

- I plan on being moved in by December 31st (less than two months!)

- I am single and plan on dating pretty quickly. I feel it's finally time to grow up and get into a long term and meaningful relationship.

- I'm an entrepreneur and own a couple (online) businesses so I will not need employment.

- Looking to spend around $600-800 per month.

- I really want to be able to ride my bike to the beach so as long as it's not more than 10 miles from the beach that is okay...

- Most likely I will be moving into an apartment at first. But I am open to other options...

As of now I'm leaning towards St. Petersburg... I know South Tampa is pretty cool but I will most likely just be visiting that area... I hear St. Pete has more of a tropical/beach vibe which I like...

I truly appreciate the help. This is a big step for me but I am ready. Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 12:03 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,991,787 times
Your requirements, budget and no need for employment makes St. Pete sound more in line with what you're looking for.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:11 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
St Pete is a great option and would recommend the Old Northeast neighborhood.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/11/re...vens.html?_r=0

There's a decent selection of apartments in the area within your price range, a few are "vintage" yet updated which is quite cool. Terrier Properties has some examples on their webpage.

Terrier Properties - St. Petersburg Rental Apartment Listings

Old 11-06-2013, 05:20 AM

641 posts, read 1,020,776 times
your 26 but call yourself a boy? why do we get all the good ones?!?

Old 11-06-2013, 05:50 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,166,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
St Pete is a great option and would recommend the Old Northeast neighborhood.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/11/re...vens.html?_r=0

There's a decent selection of apartments in the area within your price range, a few are "vintage" yet updated which is quite cool. Terrier Properties has some examples on their webpage.

Terrier Properties - St. Petersburg Rental Apartment Listings
I've heard really awful things about Terrier Properties. Have you rented from them?

I have no experience myself, I ended up upping my budget to 900-1000 and I'm in a great building that I love. I saw a lot of negative press online about Terrier (actually, all of it) and since I'm not from the area I decided to stay away. If anyone here actually has any experience renting with them, I'd be curious to know.

600-800 is definitely doable in St. Pete, however, to get what I wanted, I'm paying $930 before utilities.

Not really sure what is important to the OP besides being "close" to the beach. Really, no matter where you are in St. Pete, you aren't more than 10 miles from the beach. I live closer to downtown and can get to the beach in about 15 minutes or less.

If you want to be close to downtown, 600-800 will be pushing it, I'd say almost not doable unless you sacrifice by living in a bad area or a run down place. You could probably get a studio (maybe?), but again, depends on your needs. Being a single female living alone, I like to have the security that my building offers me. I'll probably move again in a year or two when my SO moves in.

OP, what do you like? Houses? Complexes? Do you need a gym, a pool, central air? How important is security to you? Off street parking?

Old NE is adorable. Sadly, I only had 2 days to find something and couldn't get a rental there that I liked in my limited time.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:43 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,605 times
You plan on dating real quickly too eh?... just THAT easy?

Old 11-06-2013, 02:40 PM

8 posts, read 13,048 times
You guys are kind of making me sound bad here, lol.

"Texas boy" is more of a term... I do not consider myself a boy at 26.

I do plan on dating "real quickly" because I have not dated much in the past few (4) years. This is one of my main goals. I figure my best option is online dating... Otherwise it would not happen quickly as I have learned. I am not a man-***** and do not consider "bar girls" as dating...

@IMU36
I am open to anything. Of course I prefer a house but realized an apartment will probably work out for the first 6-12 months. I do need a gym close by. I don't like apartment community gyms or anything like that.

I will probably get an apartment west of St. Pete (fairly close to the beach / bike ride away), or possibly a house in St. Pete...

Can anyone suggest apartments? West of St. Pete, treasure island, St. Pete beach, etc...
As long as I can ride my bike to the beach that is okay... I'm not moving to Florida to "land-lock" myself. I also realize I will probably not be right on the water either... Although I have seen some decent prices on Craigslist near the water.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Last edited by ParlayKB; 11-06-2013 at 02:51 PM..

Old 11-06-2013, 06:59 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
your 26 but call yourself a boy? why do we get all the good ones?!?
Spare us.

Texas boy is a term I have heard on numerous occasions. When I hear it I usually think of a young man in a cowboy hat.

To the OP, while I hate Tampa Bay and don't understand why you would want to move here!!! I would suggest staying in the southern parts of Pinellas County for affordability, nightlife, and proximity to the beaches. Make sure you rent though because I doubt you want to buy in that area if you plan on settling down and having a family and such.

Be ready to see more old people than you have ever experienced in your life living in Pinellas. You might find dating hard because you are definitely in the wrong demographic for that side of the bay. lol.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:52 PM

149 posts, read 259,742 times
Exciting adventure you're undertaking!
Quote:
I'm not moving to Florida to "land-lock" myself...
That's just how I saw it when I moved here a few years ago. Any of those towns you mention, St Pete Beach, Treasure Island, even Madeira Beach would suit.
Also, since you don't have a commute, work online, and want the beach feel, the islands would give you a greater chance of being by the water than anywhere since they tend to be just a few blocks wide in many parts. You get the Gulf beaches and the Intracoastal waterway within biking or even walking distance.
Something to do on arrival: drive over any of the causeway bridges coming from St Pete towards St-Pete Beach or further south and then head north on Gulf Blvd towards Clearwater Beach to see the rentals and neighborhoods along the way. Much of Gulf Blvd has bikes lanes.

Apartment rental rates vary but there are many within your budget, just a block or so from the beach.

Another advantage of the beach communities, many short term rentals are available. That means you can rent 1-2-4 or 6 months, time enough to know if you like the neighborhood, explore St Pete / Clearwater metro, etc, without locking into a yearly contract before you're ready.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:14 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParlayKB View Post
Can anyone suggest apartments? West of St. Pete, treasure island, St. Pete beach, etc...
Those areas are full of hotels and retirees. In Pinellas, young adults are clustered near downtown St Pete. That's where the singles scene is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay