U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 06:35 PM

141 posts, read 154,236 times

Advertisements

I use it a lot and really enjoy it. You peddle for miles out into Tampa Bay (toward the big bridge). You can stop and drink a soda, skip rocks, fish or watch others fish. Watch dolphins and ships.. If you go to the end you can park the bikes enjoy the public rest area...equipped with clean restrooms, soda machines, picnic tables, etc. It's all free to do this as long as you do not go to the Piers (old skyway bridge) that costs a few coins. I just enjoy the path. It is like 4 miles out and 4 miles back. All scenic and mucho fun. It starts where the 275 dumps out when you cross over from Brandeton.

Anybody else know and use this little "hidden gem" for recreation and enjoyment?

Thanks and peace to all!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 07:26 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,999,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinballdad View Post
I use it a lot and really enjoy it. You peddle for miles out into Tampa Bay (toward the big bridge). You can stop and drink a soda, skip rocks, fish or watch others fish. Watch dolphins and ships.. If you go to the end you can park the bikes enjoy the public rest area...equipped with clean restrooms, soda machines, picnic tables, etc. It's all free to do this as long as you do not go to the Piers (old skyway bridge) that costs a few coins. I just enjoy the path. It is like 4 miles out and 4 miles back. All scenic and mucho fun. It starts where the 275 dumps out when you cross over from Brandeton.

Anybody else know and use this little "hidden gem" for recreation and enjoyment?

Thanks and peace to all!

Sounds very nice. Glad you enjoy it. Do people walk, jog on it also? I use to enjoy the old Gandy Bridge between Tampa and St Pete, until they closed it some years back now. It was very popular. I think it was called the Freedom Bridge or Trail or something like that. Evidently it was felt it was no longer safe for people to use it. I'm glad there is still something in the region for people to use with the Sunshine Skyway path.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:08 AM

Yes they (me too) walk and jog. I mostly bike so I can get out there quicker. People use this path until 1-2-3 am. I have never heard about any crimes on the path. The I-275 toll booth can see some of the path and of course the rest area has police cars in/out every few minutes. The rest of the path is nice with nice people. Only issue I see is there is some garbage here and there at the water edge. Maybe punk kids or some trashy adults that do not respect the area. Other than that the path and view are simply amazing. Bring binoculars!

Old 11-06-2013, 07:37 PM

I was going to take some pic's and post but this link is 10 x better than I could have done. It explains the trail and has nice photos. One thing though. since the article they have planted at least another 100 palm trees along the path. It looks even better now!

Skyway Trail – Maximo Park to North Skyway Fishing Pier, St. Petersburg, Pinellas County, Florida View From The Trail

Old 11-07-2013, 10:21 AM

425 posts, read 1,012,888 times
I didn't know about this- all I was familiar with was the north and south fishing piers. Even after looking at a map I'm still not 100% clear where the path runs from Maximo Park but I'm sure it will be obvious if I go there

Old 11-07-2013, 10:45 AM

Just leave Maximo, go underneath bridge and turn right. There is a hotel on the left side. Basically, right across the street from the hotel tennis courts is where the path begins. If you Google map it try to zoom in where the tennis courts are. Across the street is the path and it goes out 4 miles into Tampa Bay (it sidelines the expressway, I-275). The scenery is fantastic and you can stop or park your bike any time and walk in the water or just admire the view.

Remember, there is a gap between Maximo park and where the bike/walk path begins. You have to actually leave Maximo park and drive over towards the Magnuson Marina Cove hotel where the path begins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: