Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 12:54 AM

693 posts, read 1,131,832 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are flying into Tampa this coming Wednesday for a couple of days. We have free 2 nights for dinner and really wanted to try Cuban and Seafood.

We made reservations for Cuban at the Columbian in Ybor City for a dinner and show, has anyone ate and/or watched the show, is it enjoyable?

We want to eat at a very good (doesnt have to be fancy) seafood restaurant preferrably someplace near the water or in a lively area, does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 05:16 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,853,640 times
For seafood we like Rusty Bellies in Tarpon Springs. http://www.rustybellies.com/
I am not a fan of Columbia rest. But it's a so-so show.....

Last edited by Sunscape; 11-06-2013 at 05:27 AM..

Old 11-06-2013, 05:55 AM

26,804 posts, read 43,267,473 times
I'd highly recommend Guppy's On The Beach in beautiful Indian Rocks Beach. They have a nice outdoor area where you can feel/smell the gulf breeze and the food is quite good consistently. Their Grouper is my favorite, typically the Pan-Fried w/Lemon Caper Butter Sauce or Blackened w/Avocado-Serrano Salsa...they're also known for their outstanding Coconut Shrimp. It's nice after lunch or dinner to cross the street and go for a walk on the beach.

Guppy's on the Beach Seafood Grill & Bar

Old 11-06-2013, 06:51 AM

Thank you both of you, my wife and I will check out the websites/menus.

Annie, is the food at Columbian not very good? Do you have any suggestions for another Cuban restaurant?

Old 11-06-2013, 07:28 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,061,013 times
I think Colombia is good food, the building itself is a treat too! I dont know the show. Guppys is one of my faves too
I had a great dinner last night at 1200 degrees (I think its called that) around 50th ave and gulf blvd n st pete beach. specializes in steak but has a couple of lovely seafoood dishes on there. Island Way Grill on Clearwater beach also nice.
If you are downtown Tampa, then Guppys, st pete beach and clearwater are a bit of a drive. If you are at the beach, then Tampa is, so either way you will prob have a drive. I am sure if you are in Tampa others will recommend seafood places.
I'm not so familiar with them.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:35 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,760,670 times
I am not a fan of Colombia either. We were there couple times and I was never impressed. It's overrated in my opinion

Old 11-06-2013, 08:48 AM

15 posts, read 75,340 times
I have been to Columbia once - the food was ok, the show was fine (it was basically a few flamenco dancers performing for a while). Agree it is a bit overrated - more of a tourist spot than a good restaurant... But I know people who love this place, so hope you will enjoy it.

For the restaurants close to the water, you may check out the following places (all have good seafood; not sure all of them will be in a 'lively area' though -
Oystercatchers (Oystercatchers Restaurant - Tampa, FL | OpenTable);
Rusty Pelican (Rusty Pelican Miami)
Bahama Breeze (Bahama Breeze Locations)

Old 11-06-2013, 08:52 AM

4,437 posts, read 3,751,294 times
As a Cuban I can tell you that Columbia is not a Cuban restaurant. It is a pan-Latin restaurant that serves dishes known to Spain, Cuba, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, etc. The building and restaurant are beautiful. That's where the accolades should end.

For Cuban food the only restaurant that is above average is West Tampa Sandwich Shop (has full menu of Cuban food not just wiches).

For seafood the only place I go for Seafood is Star Fish Company in Cortez FL (near Bradenton). Real Florida seafood, real Florid ambiance, and on the water. Cash only.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:17 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,826,749 times
Ozona Blue Grilling Company

Welcome

Old 11-06-2013, 09:25 AM

Thanks, will check em all out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay