Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 08:14 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post
RIP Don Zimmer. A simple man who loved baseball and gave it 60 years of his life
A legend! RIP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 08:44 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,567 times
Rays adviser Don Zimmer, widely seen as a baseball treasure, dies | Tampa Bay Times

Rays Broadcaster Todd Kalas Chokes Up While Reporting Don Zimmer's Death

Old 06-05-2014, 08:50 AM

Had to post one more - a great array of photos on this site of his career - all the way from when he played for the Brooklyn Dodgers to the Rays.

It's really sad to see someone of his stature, someone from my own childhood years watching baseball, gone.

Don Zimmer: A baseball and Bay area treasure

Old 06-05-2014, 09:24 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,099,911 times
If we drop today's game and the Cubs get their 3rd win in a row, we will officially be the worst team in baseball and be riding a 10 game losing streak...which may already qualify us as that.

Crazy how high expectations can be before a season and be sitting in this position today. There are statistics abound in baseball, but I wonder what the percentage chance is of making the postseason at current state? Less than 30% for sure, I'm thinking less than 20%.

Also, RIP to Don Zimmer. Legend in the game.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:24 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post
It's really sad to see someone of his stature, someone from my own childhood years watching baseball, gone.
I know what you are saying. I remember his time with the Red Sox. I can't think of one without the other, as I was a kid playing baseball at the time he was there.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
If we drop today's game and the Cubs get their 3rd win in a row, we will officially be the worst team in baseball and be riding a 10 game losing streak...which may already qualify us as that.

Crazy how high expectations can be before a season and be sitting in this position today. There are statistics abound in baseball, but I wonder what the percentage chance is of making the postseason at current state? Less than 30% for sure, I'm thinking less than 20%.

Also, RIP to Don Zimmer. Legend in the game.
I found this site - Major League Baseball Playoff Chances - Sports Club Stats - not sure how they arrive at the statistics as I didn't have time to look at it too closely

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
I know what you are saying. I remember his time with the Red Sox. I can't think of one without the other, as I was a kid playing baseball at the time he was there.
Right. That was an era where the game was true baseball, before free agency changed everything (when Zimmer was a base coach for the Sox before coming manager). Boy I loved watching/listening to games back then. If the game didn't make it to tv, I'd have my portable radio and sit outside to listen.

ahhh, the good ole days

Old 06-11-2014, 02:23 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,099,911 times
Anyone still watching this nightmare play out?

28 scoreless innings. 3 shutouts in a row. Team completely lifeless and couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat.

Do you feel sorry for these guys? I don't. They are professionals and their job is to play baseball and play it well.

I have lived on the "oh, we are injured" excuse for too long...but I am starting to realize that is just a delusional excuse that can't even cover this poor of play.

Our starting lineup tonight is:

Jennings
Kiermaier
Longo
Loney
Zobrist
DeJesus
Joyce
Escobar
Hanigan

That is arguably a better lineup than we were playing with late last season. I know our reserves are lighter (no Kelly Johnson, no Sam Fuld, etc) but we shouldn't be the worst team in baseball. That isn't the worst roster in baseball...but they are playing like it.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:21 PM

166 posts, read 321,854 times
Yeah, I am watching.

Its all been pretty bizarre.

The way it's playing out just shows....Jennings, Zobrist, Dejesus, Joyce, Escobar.....are just average-below average players.

What scares me is the lack of depth on the farm. Other than the utility type player like a Zobrist.....who has been able to etch out a pretty good role in Tampa, The Rays...year after year....Have never developed a top tier Catcher, Shortstop, second baseman or first baseman. Always relying on players like Zobrist.....and 3rd tier free agents.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:31 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Moneyball team - makes their success over the past six seasons or so remarkable working with second rate players. This season it just isn't happening. Time to develop Durham players - get them up here for seasoning and think about the future. The problem w/ low payroll teams is that you can't fix stuff by signing all the best players. It'll be interesting how Maddon and Friedman work this out.

Rays Year-By-Year Results | raysbaseball.com: History

Old 06-11-2014, 06:30 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
31-scoreless inning streak FINALLY over......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay