Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 05:53 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,547,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
I was going to mention that much of my home search was conducted along the SR54 line through Southern Pasco County. Trinity was very nice, I almost bought there, in the end I found a better deal someplace else along SR 54 inbetween Veterans and I75.

I think anywhere from Trinity to Wesley Chapel is for the most part a very good choice.
Welcome to the area and hope your buying experience will be a good one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 07:20 AM

693 posts, read 1,132,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Welcome to the area and hope your buying experience will be a good one
Thanks bentlebee, so far we are pleased. Cant wait!

Old 12-17-2013, 10:57 AM

85 posts, read 247,890 times
so we're back from our trip to FL.

We put on almost 700 miles last week driving through areas and towns. Looks like we pinpointed our search to either Wesley Chapel, or Trinity. We'd prefer Trinity actually, because it's closer to Clearwater Beach and the water in general, but if something pops up in Wesley Chapel - we'd consider it. The thing that I need to grasp my head around is the property sizes. Our budget is up to $300k - and it seems even on the higher scale of our budget, the lot sizes aren't over .25 acres. In upstate NY, a $300k home will give you MULTIPLE acres. I guess that is the trade off of living in FL. The house on top of house thing disappoints me, but I'd rather deal with no snow or cold weather instead We drove through some areas of Lutz, Plant City, and Land O Lakes - and those areas just didn't do it for us. Didn't have that "new" feeling. Hard to explain.

We loved Seven Oaks in Wesley Chapel, and we loved the Trinity Preserve. Even looked at a Lennar model home in that community. Anyone familiar with Lennar? Are they reputable? The price of those homes seemed pretty reasonable. The shopping in both areas impressed us - and with all the other shopping going towards Countryside, it's a great mix.

The plan now is to put our house on the market in May. Once our home sells, we're moving down there. If there are no homes available that we like at that time, we'll be forced to rent - which I hope doesn't happen. Or at least try to find a rental without a lease so if we did find a place, we wouldn't be tied down to a lease.

Overall though, loved all the areas - and loved the people.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:52 PM

I didnt care for Lennar at all, this was heavily affected by the sales staff that rubbed me very bad. I strongly considered Trinity Preserve and still think its a solid choice but if I was to build there I would go with MI Homes as they are cobuilding with Lennar and are just a notch nicer.

MI Homes at Trinity Preserve: Trinity Preserve - Homes for Sale in New Port Richey, FL - M/I Homes Tampa

I would also recommend you check out DR Horton in the new neighborhood of Terra Bella which is also on SR54 but on the other side of Veterans. I think they are a step up from Lennar and a notch below MI Homes. These are all personal obversations of my time dealing with them all via online and in person.

DR Horton at Terra Bella: Terra Bella | New Homes in Land O Lakes, FL

Best of luck!

Old 12-17-2013, 07:32 PM

389 posts, read 798,051 times
Hi there,

I'm way late to this conversation but thought I would chime in. I was in the exact situation 2 years ago that you are in today. I'm also from up North, Cleveland suburbs.

I did all the research and driving around that you have done.

We ended up moving into a development in "New Tampa". New Tampa is not a real city name, but describes an area of Northeast Tampa and Wesley Chapel. The area is newer. For the most part, the schools rate well, usually 8,9, and 10 on a scale of 1-10. We built our house new. It's a growing area.

New Tampa can be located on a map by looking for county road 581 which is Bruce B. Downs Blvd. It starts on the south side at I75 and runs north to SR54 in Wesley Chapel.

I wanted to offer myself as a sounding board for you if you want to discuss what it is like down here in Florida or answer any questions you might have. We share a northerners perspective in many ways I'm sure.

Please send me a private message on the forum if you want to discuss.

Tom

Old 12-17-2013, 07:39 PM

389 posts, read 798,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyguy4u View Post

We put on almost 700 miles last week driving through areas and towns. Looks like we pinpointed our search to either Wesley Chapel, or Trinity. We'd prefer Trinity actually, because it's closer to Clearwater Beach and the water in general, but if something pops up in Wesley Chapel - we'd consider it. The thing that I need to grasp my head around is the property sizes. Our budget is up to $300k - and it seems even on the higher scale of our budget, the lot sizes aren't over .25 acres. In upstate NY, a $300k home will give you MULTIPLE acres. I guess that is the trade off of living in FL. The house on top of house thing disappoints me, but I'd rather deal with no snow or cold weather instead We drove through some areas of Lutz, Plant City, and Land O Lakes - and those areas just didn't do it for us. Didn't have that "new" feeling. Hard to explain.

We loved Seven Oaks in Wesley Chapel, and we loved the Trinity Preserve. Even looked at a Lennar model home in that community. Anyone familiar with Lennar? Are they reputable? The price of those homes seemed pretty reasonable. The shopping in both areas impressed us - and with all the other shopping going towards Countryside, it's a great mix.

The plan now is to put our house on the market in May. Once our home sells, we're moving down there. If there are no homes available that we like at that time, we'll be forced to rent - which I hope doesn't happen. Or at least try to find a rental without a lease so if we did find a place, we wouldn't be tied down to a lease.

We shopped 5 or 6 builders. I believe Lennar was the best, I know obviously some will disagree but I feel it is the best overall value and you get alot for your money. The last house I built, I had to pay extra for the following: Lawn, sprinkler, landscaping, refrigerator, paint and probably more I cannot think of at the moment. There mantra is 'everything included'. With the exception of ceiling fans, curtains, and outdoor lights on the garage, everything was included.

Lennar's big thing is energy efficiency and they deliver! Our energy bills, even in the summer months, are 1/2 of what they were up North. The quality of the house is also very good after 2 years. So far no major issues and they are pretty responsive for the few minor items that crept up.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:12 PM

9 posts, read 19,719 times
I've got a place available for rent in very good elementary and middle school inside the community in New Tampa.
Hillborough county school right near Wesley chapel area. All shopping near too.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:11 AM

676 posts, read 1,264,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyguy4u View Post

Avoid Lennar. They build "cookie-cutter" homes and anything you want outside their standard plan is your responsibility after closing.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderSpringsDad View Post
Avoid Lennar. They build "cookie-cutter" homes and anything you want outside their standard plan is your responsibility after closing.
I have to agree, unless its a budget/price thing I would too.

I found MI Homes to be a notch above Lennar and they currently have a community in Trinity together.

Also check out DR Horton in Terra Bella.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:31 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,547,726 times
Wasn't it Lennar that has contracts with minerals and other substances in the soil for which the builder will keep all the rights on the land they sell?

Check out the contract prior to signing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay