Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 09:09 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,544,323 times

Advertisements

Yesterday Boa called me that my other cc is also compromised. ..This time it was used at a hotel in Philadelphia 5 min prior to them calling me...The amount pending $3.99 but probably waiting for a larger amount. ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 08:20 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,811,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Yesterday Boa called me that my other cc is also compromised. ..This time it was used at a hotel in Philadelphia 5 min prior to them calling me...The amount pending $3.99 but probably waiting for a larger amount. ...
I was reading one of the fraud newsletters I get and they stated that they expect that more companies have been effected but either aren't yet aware or haven't gone public. Sorry that you got hit more than once!

Old 01-15-2014, 08:26 AM

Default Target Email Scam

Just wanted to alert folks of an email that came through to my corporate account this morning.

I'm guessing someone is taking advantage of the situation and targeting anyone they can. Why I immediately thought it suspicious is I am not signed up for any Target emails nor do I have an account there or shopped there during the holidays.

Below is part of the email just so people can be aware. They are directing readers to another site under the guise of offering credit protection.

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Dear Target Guest,
As you may have heard or read, Target learned in mid-December that criminals forced their way into our systems and took guest information, including debit and credit card data. Late last week, as part of our ongoing investigation, we learned that additional information, including name, mailing address, phone number or email address, was also taken. I am writing to make you aware that your name, mailing address, phone number or email address may have been taken during the intrusion.
I am truly sorry this incident occurred and sincerely regret any inconvenience it may cause you. Because we value you as a guest and your trust is important to us, Target is offering one year of free credit monitoring to all Target guests who shopped in U.S. stores, through Experian’s® ProtectMyID® product which includes identity theft insurance where available. To receive your unique activation code for this service, please go to creditmonitoring.target.com and register before April 23, 2014. Activation codes must be redeemed by April 30, 2014.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 01-16-2014, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post
Just wanted to alert folks of an email that came through to my corporate account this morning.

I'm guessing someone is taking advantage of the situation and targeting anyone they can. Why I immediately thought it suspicious is I am not signed up for any Target emails nor do I have an account there or shopped there during the holidays.

Below is part of the email just so people can be aware. They are directing readers to another site under the guise of offering credit protection.

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Dear Target Guest,
As you may have heard or read, Target learned in mid-December that criminals forced their way into our systems and took guest information, including debit and credit card data. Late last week, as part of our ongoing investigation, we learned that additional information, including name, mailing address, phone number or email address, was also taken. I am writing to make you aware that your name, mailing address, phone number or email address may have been taken during the intrusion.
I am truly sorry this incident occurred and sincerely regret any inconvenience it may cause you. Because we value you as a guest and your trust is important to us, Target is offering one year of free credit monitoring to all Target guests who shopped in U.S. stores, through Experian’s® ProtectMyID® product which includes identity theft insurance where available. To receive your unique activation code for this service, please go to creditmonitoring.target.com and register before April 23, 2014. Activation codes must be redeemed by April 30, 2014.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Thanks for posting this. Even though I contacted target numerous times and are on their email list I didn't get this email

Old 01-16-2014, 08:11 AM

Yeah, I forwarded to my company's IT dept. and they jumped on it. I'm sure that won't be the first email to try to scam people.

Also, just saw this article:

Exclusive: More well-known U.S. retailers victims of cyber attacks - sources - Yahoo Finance

I'm considering going to my bank and changing my debit card, just as a precaution. I don't think I'll be using it too much any more. Sheesh!

Old 01-16-2014, 12:50 PM

I did sign up for the Experian monitoring for free since it is not monitored by Target as I expected when it was announced. I'm still waiting for a new cc for my other compromised cc from BoA.

I hope the issues will be over soon but most likely it will happen more often and also at different stores. Criminals don't seem to sit still and sleep and many IT people are so smart and want a fast buck so they will probably one step ahead of the people protecting us.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:35 AM

Here we go again...on my closed cc a charge of $ 641.99 at ATT in PA was made...so again on the phone with the fraud department of BoA.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:52 AM

Oh no! That's horrible. I feel for you, I hope it gets resolved quickly!!

Old 01-17-2014, 10:30 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,231,199 times
When I first got this email yesterday, I thought it might be part of the scam. Now I understand it was actually sent out by the CEO. I'm hesitant about allowing Target any sort of access or taking them up on the credit check x 1 yr fearing they'll botch things up again.

----------------------------------------------------------

Target Guest,
In addition, to guard against possible scams, always be cautious about sharing personal information, such as Social Security numbers, passwords, user IDs and financial account information. Here are some tips that will help protect you:

Never share information with anyone over the phone, email or text, even if they claim to be someone you know or do business with. Instead, ask for a call-back number.
Delete texts immediately from numbers or names you don’t recognize.
Be wary of emails that ask for money or send you to suspicious websites. Don’t click links within emails you don’t recognize.

Target’s email communication regarding this incident will never ask you to provide personal or sensitive information.
Thank you for your patience and loyalty to Target. You can find additional information and FAQs about this incident at our Target.com/databreach website. If you have further questions, you may call us at 866-852-8680.
Gregg Steinhafel
Chairman, President and CEO

Old 01-17-2014, 04:22 PM

My ins. was also dropped due to no automatic payment received (can you imagine an one time a year automatic payment is not what you think about first when to check who needs the new card info)....but luckily I have been reinstated

The fun keeps coming but again I'm a lucky person that I never use debit cards other than to deposit at the ATM (drive thru)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay