Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 09:56 AM

26,842 posts, read 43,324,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Well, then give me a particular address. Saying "everything east of 49th Street, south of Central Avenue etc." should be avoided is ridiculous. I've lived east of 49th Street for twenty years and I've lived south of Central. My kid and her family lived smack dab downtown and my other kid lives way out on 4th Street. St. Pete is a big place and yes, certain addresses should obviously be avoided but to write off huge chunks of the city because of I don't know why is goofy. St. Pete is a city and cities are full of individuals, mostly good but some bad but to assume everyone who lives east of 49th Street or south of Central is a thug is paranoid.

The OP is looking to rent a place in one of the most vibrant cities in Florida. If he was looking to be completely isolated from humanity's riff-raff, he'd be asking about some of the God-awful walled communities along the East Lake corridor.
Point taken, but in general it's fairly accurate. Your response was helpful in terms of address specifics (hence the rep from me) and as mentioned prior everyone has varying comfort levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 02:59 PM

4,972 posts, read 7,160,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
... and as mentioned prior everyone has varying comfort levels.

So true. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:56 PM

819 posts, read 1,395,505 times
Check out Trulia; it will give you a crime heat map and even let you zoom in and see the details of specific crimes. For example, I was recently looking for a place to build a waterfront home and briefly considered Coquina Key in St Pete:

Saint Petersburg, Coquina Key crimes - Trulia.com

I ruled it out once I realized how much crime is only a mile or two away.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:57 AM

745 posts, read 1,574,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
1) Working class neighborhood in unincorporated St. Pete. Decent enough but I'm surprised the rent is so high.

2) 9th St S is a pretty busy road. You could do better at that price.

3) Probably good. There's some interesting old neighborhoods off of 30th Av-brick streets and all. But 30th Av has some traffic.

4) This one looks really nice. https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-...ed=0CC0QxB0wAA
Nothing wrong with the neighborhood that I know of.

wow, that's honestly the first time I've ever used Google Maps like that. Impressive! And you're right, I like the look of the area of #4 on my list. They all look fine really.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:19 AM

745 posts, read 1,574,436 times
look at this cute little neighborhood:

2443 4th Ave, St. Petersburg, FL

2BD 1000 sft. $995

Old 12-30-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
look at this cute little neighborhood:

2443 4th Ave, St. Petersburg, FL

2BD 1000 sft. $995

That's the Kenwood neighborhood, and a good choice in my opinion.

Historic Kenwood | Neighborhood of the Arts

Old 01-01-2014, 06:51 AM

792 posts, read 2,282,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
I'm looking for houses and apartments now, and I kinda know the bad neighborhoods, but not exactly. I know Old NE, Kenwood, Downtown, anywhere along Central, and beachside are all good. How far north and south of Central is good?

In terms of South St. Pete, where exactly does it start getting bad? Is Pinellas Park all bad?

I've been doing a lot of looking around on Padmapper and Craigslist, and there are a ton of options that are really cheap, it's almost unbelievable. I've got a roommate scenario, so 2-3 bedroom houses and apartments are what we are looking for.

So if someone can give me some parameters where the bad areas are to be avoided, that would really help me out a lot.

Not looking in Tampa.

Thanks!
The only neighborhood in Saint Petersburg that I absolutely would not live in, is the southside. I'm not sure where exactly it starts, but seems to me to start getting seedy once you get below 5th ave north and 22nd ave. south seems to be the epicenter. That's where most of the murders and drives by shootings seem to be around. Your mileage may very, since I rarely drive that way unless i'm on u.s. 19 heading over the skyway.

Other than that, it's kinda hit and miss. Drive around and check out the areas for yourself. Pinellas park is definately not all bad. There are some nice areas. Sure it's working class , but not a gang ridden hellhole.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
The only neighborhood in Saint Petersburg that I absolutely would not live in, is the southside. I'm not sure where exactly it starts, but seems to me to start getting seedy once you get below 5th ave north and 22nd ave. south seems to be the epicenter. That's where most of the murders and drives by shootings seem to be around. Your mileage may very, since I rarely drive that way unless i'm on u.s. 19 heading over the skyway.

Other than that, it's kinda hit and miss. Drive around and check out the areas for yourself. Pinellas park is definately not all bad. There are some nice areas. Sure it's working class , but not a gang ridden hellhole.
One should probably reiterate that it gets much better on the south end and isn't reflective of the entire southside.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:00 AM

792 posts, read 2,282,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
One should probably reiterate that it gets much better on the south end and isn't reflective of the entire southside.
This is very true and as far as I know, the coastal areas are nice anywhere in the Saint Petersburg area.

I once bought an item from a guy on craigslist and his address was on 22nd ave. south. I almost didn't even go, but he said he lived at the very end of 22nd ave on the water. So I went there and sure enough, you drive through a horrible area and then a few blocks from the water it gets very nice again.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:23 AM

4,972 posts, read 7,160,749 times
One of the coolest neighborhoods (Driftwood) in Tampa Bay is way on the end of 22nd Av. S. Homes are hardly ever for sale and get passed down between family members. Here's an example of one that is on the market;

127 Wildwood Ln SE, Saint Petersburg, FL 33705 is For Sale - Zillow

It's worth it to drive through there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay