Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 04:16 AM

356 posts, read 302,432 times

Advertisements

As one who travels everyday on the highways and streets of Tampa, I find that the traffic problems are getting much worse. Speeders, etc., are increasing. When will something be done to alleviate this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 04:45 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
There is a lot of construction on the interstates and toll roads - hopefully once this is completed, things will settle down - but you're right, there are a lot of inpatient drivers out there - especially during times of rush hour.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:25 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,600,605 times
I heard on the news recently that Florida is on track to become the 3rd most populous state (link below). Add this to the time of year being high season for tourists plus extra traffic added for college bowl games, and that pretty much explains the traffic congestion. I also expect that many drivers are in unfamiliar surroundings which frustrates some who live here and know where they're going. Traffic congestion and bad drivers have been a factor since I moved here in the 80s. I don't like it but I doubt it will be resolved in my lifetime.

Florida could soon overtake New York as No. 3 in population - CNN.com

Old 12-30-2013, 06:29 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Guess moving out of the state will be in my long term plans - once I get my fill of Bucs' games, Rays, Bolts, Bulls - and all the concerts that the Fla Orchestra offer, and the Straz performances, and all the golf and PGA events, and then there's the Tampa Bay Downs....etc etc....so much to do here. But the time will come to move elsewhere for the serenity.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post
As one who travels everyday on the highways and streets of Tampa, I find that the traffic problems are getting much worse. Speeders, etc., are increasing. When will something be done to alleviate this problem?
I cant see much that can be done, wider roads just make for wider traffic congestion, Baby boom generation and other demographics are all on their way to Fla to experience beaches and warm weather Floridians speak so fondly of.Chaos on the roads is just part of life in the more populated areas of Florida.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:57 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,926 times
To be fair this the worse time of the year for traffic. I gets a lot better in June, this year it didn't really get bad until after Thanksgiving when it usually gets crappy around October , so I am not complaining.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:50 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
There is a lot of construction on the interstates and toll roads - hopefully once this is completed, things will settle down - but you're right, there are a lot of inpatient drivers out there - especially during times of rush hour.
That's really going to be too dangerous. Are these driving under medication too?

Just kidding but I agree there are a lot of impatient people out there. I just came back from a Christmas trip from up north and boy am I happy here with the traffic still? Not saying we shouldn't do anything to address the issue we have but it could be worst.

There are many bottle necks here I would also be irritated driving on them. Even the toll is a joke. You pay for the luxury of sitting in the traffic at rush hour. Key is knowing where they are and trying to avoid them. You can only widen the road so much, need to be a mass transit fix for the inevitable growth, which we argued in this board like forever. When everybody like you complains, perhaps we will revisits some of the mass transit ideas that was shot down. Until then, enjoy the traffic.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:58 AM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
i think better signage would help... when the vets splits on both ways, when roads end in middle of highway on 275--- other day went to a party on treasure island,, there was No sign for treasure island - a very visited place by tourist- I had an idea but was headed straight for Bradenton..and the GPS wanted me to go downtown Tampa! go figure. anyhow some signage would maybe help

Old 12-30-2013, 03:21 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,283,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
When everybody like you complains, perhaps we will revisits some of the mass transit ideas that was shot down. Until then, enjoy the traffic.
Report: 98 Percent Of U.S. Commuters Favor Public Transportation For Others | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

"Expanding mass transit isn't just a good idea, it's a necessity. My drive to work is unbelievable. I spend more than two hours stuck in 12 lanes of traffic. It's about time somebody did something to get some of these other cars off the road."

In reality,

1. The percentage of people that will utilize these mass transit ideas will be so small that it will be unnoticable to the amount of overall traffic.

2. Sadly, the amount of money spent on these boondoggles will not.

For example, ideas for a Tampa-to-Pinellas light rail across the Bay are lowballed at $500 million to $1 billion, and might move a few hundred people per hour at rush hour. You wouldn't notice it.

Mass transit does not become an economically feasible option until parking prices become so high that the transit savings overcome to additional time and misery by using mass transit. Since probably 95% of the population park for free at their destination and the other 5% pay less than $15 a day, there is zero economic incentive to abandon the car. That's why every one (that's 100%) of the mid-sized cities that have gone down this path has made a few liberal idealists (and construction companies) happy while setting fire to billions of dollars of cash. I can refer you to studies and books on this exact subject -- there has never been a system that has met its ridership estimates used by its proponents to get their hands on the taxpayers wallets.

In other words, it needs to get a lot, LOT worse (traffic, gas prices, parking) for people to abandon their cars, pay at least 1% on all of their future purchases and put their travel at the mercy of a government-run system. Would you?

Looking at the vast amount of 10-15 mpg behemoth trucks and SUVs on the road, I'd say that no one really cares about saving a couple of bucks per day on their commute.

Last edited by chi_tino; 12-30-2013 at 03:34 PM..

Old 12-30-2013, 03:27 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,128 times
It just seems like every major road in Hillsborough county is under construction. This only adds to the stress and frustration during rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay