Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2014, 02:33 PM

55 posts, read 123,757 times

Advertisements

Hello -

I am considering a potential job transfer to Lakeland, FL. I am looking to get some information on the area as far as where to start my house hunt. I have a 2 year old, so interested on some feedback about local daycares as well. Looking for a suburb as opposed to urban living. Family friendly area, or at least some parks, outdoor areas, etc to enjoy. Any and all input is appreciated. Also, it's never to early to think about the school system so any insight on the local schools would be great as well.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 10:15 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,802,401 times
Do you know anything about Lakeland at all?
Did you use search on this forum?

Old 01-08-2014, 06:37 PM

55 posts, read 123,757 times
I know where it's located, I've done some research on the internet as well. But nothing beats getting it from the source. I have read several of the prior posts mentioning Lakeland, many of them are negative, but those seem to be written by people who haven't actually lived in Lakeland... but I'm looking for some additional information. Good neighborhood/areas within Lakeland. Do most people move to the surrounding areas, or settle in Lakeland? Looking for a safe area for myself and my two year old. Don't need a bustling night life, but would like to be near some things to do (museums, playgrounds, outdoor activities, shopping, movies, etc).

Old 01-09-2014, 07:25 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,802,401 times
Have you ever been in Lakeland? I suggest you go there first to see it in person - it will answer a lot of your questions.

Then search through this forum to find more info. Many people will not repeat the same things all over again if they already wrote about it./// recently

Here is the link to similar topic discussed recently: Lakeland area good to live?

Specific questions are much better than overall questions. There are tons of daycare centers, great playgrounds, few nice shopping plaza with movie theater... The rule of thumb - good area has better daycare/schools.
What do you mean by "people settle in surrounding to Lakeland area"?

Old 01-11-2014, 05:51 PM

213 posts, read 659,784 times
south Lakeland will probably be your best bet. there is an outdoor shopping mall, that has several restaurants, and a movie theater. there are 2 different playgrounds for kids that are nice. there is a children's exploration museum in down town Lakeland. there are certain areas of Lakeland where you do not want to live, that aren't as safe. Look at my profile and you will see several of my posts on Lakeland. And yes I currently live here, and have lived in Polk County for 35 years minus some time in Colorado and some time in Tennessee. Also, feel free to PM me if you wish to ask questions.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:49 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Jlbour, are you planning on renting or buying? I'm sure that Straw has a lot more to offer you then I do, but I wanted to let you know that I have family members in Lakeland and if you have any questions that I can't answer, I'll get the info for you.

My favorite place is around the Lake Morton/Lake Mirror/Hollis Gardens area. It does seem like there is a bit of crime around there recently.

I also think Carillon Lakes is very nice. My own experience there has been limited to two visits so I've barely spent two weeks there, but I'll help you with anything I can and good luck with your move!

I personally like Lakeland, but am more drawn to Pinellas Co.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:16 PM

53 posts, read 155,662 times
I have lived in Lakeland the last 12 years, and am raising 2 girls with my wife. Having lived in several different states previously, I can say that while Lakeland has some good qualities, the negative outweigh it in my opinion.

The people in general are not very friendly. Sex predators are way above the national average. Having two girls makes me very cautious. We never let them outside unsupervised. Schooling is not good here. Besides the school itself, the other kids seem to be a bigger concern. Not to mention that at my oldest daughter's middle school last year there was a bomb threat by another student.

There are some very nice people, but they are few and far between in my experience. We have a very self centered culture here. Drug use is rampant. It's quite normal to see homeless folks in multiple parts of the city, or to be approached and asked for money in public.

Good paying jobs are very limited as well. I drive to Orlando for my work. That is one of the benefits to Lakeland though is that it's basically in the middle of Tampa and Orlando.

I could go on and on, but if you haven't noticed, I'm not a huge fan of Lakeland.

And it's Florida, so it's unbearably hot 85% of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay