Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 11:40 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
In any case, the judge apparently felt that this so-called hearsay was enough to keep Reeves behind bars without posting bail.
The judge can not admit that the public outcry, the publicity, and the media circus had any influence on this bail decision...but it's pretty obvious.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:53 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
The judge can not admit that the public outcry, the publicity, and the media circus had any influence on this bail decision...but it's pretty obvious.
Really? If it's so obvious he's being pressured by public opinion, then why was Zimmerman granted bail? If I recall, he was granted $150,000 bail. I don't see any marches or protests in the street. That shooting certainly got a lot more media attention and it was definitely more political.

Maybe the judge listened to the 7 eyewitnesses who testified and made his decision based on what he heard from an off-duty Deputy Sheriff and Air Force veteran who had no motive to lie about what they saw and heard.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:54 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
I guess we're not on the same page here. Yes, I know this is only a bond hearing. I also know what hearsay is, but AFAIK it's up to the judge to determine what will or won't be allowed at trial. IIRC there was plenty of what you are calling "hearsay" testimony at the Casey Anthony trial. Remember Kristol Holloway? She didn't know Casey or had any evidence about the baby's death. In fact, we don't know if she was really involved with George Anthony, but she was a witness for the defense. Her only testimony was about what she was allegedly told by George Anthony.

The 2 men to which I referred were both in the theater at the time of the shooting. Why would testifying about what they saw be considered hearsay? The witnesses in the Zimmerman trial talked about what they thought they heard. In fact, it was dark and raining, and most of the witnesses were inside their homes, so nobody really saw much, except one man who later changed his story. Still, they all testified and were cross-examined.

When Mark Turner said he never saw Oulson strike Reeves, he is speaking as an eyewitness. Why would his testimony be considered hearsay and not be allowed at trial when he was in the theater and saw/heard what happened? Derek Friedhoff was only a few feet from Oulson and stated he heard bickering between the 2 men and testified to what he saw & heard. There were a lot less reliable witnesses during the Zimmerman trial who weren't even sure what they heard.

In any case, the judge apparently felt that this so-called hearsay testimony was enough to keep Reeves behind bars without posting bail.
If look away for a second you may have missed the strike if that was what happened...

If you watch tv and look to the side you can just have missed something that someone else will tell you and you haven't seen it...sometimes the hosts on TV even say " watch clearly and you will see it"

Old 02-10-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Really? If it's so obvious he's being pressured by public opinion, then why was Zimmerman granted bail? If I recall, he was granted $150,000 bail. I don't see any marches or protests in the street. That shooting certainly got a lot more media attention and it was definitely more political.

Maybe the judge listened to the 7 eyewitnesses who testified and made his decision based on what he heard from an off-duty Deputy Sheriff and Air Force veteran who had no motive to lie about what they saw and heard.
Aware of public opinion is different from being actually pressured by it. Thousands of nationwide demonstrations resulted from the Zimmerman case, the whole world was watching.

Remember that George Zimmerman was not initially charged by the police, who recognized his injuries and that this shooting was self-defense, and sent him home (IIRC). The national media and civil rights groups then created an uproar, demonstrations and riots seemed imminent, the chief of police cost his job, and the entire world took notice.
No judge today can operate in a vacuum, unaware of these forces. Especially in Florida.

I think in times past Reeves would have easily been released on bail, due to his record, flight risk, etc.
But the outcry over Zimmerman made all involved with Reeves handle things a bit differently than the Pre-Zimmerman world.

Quote:
Police initially declined to arrest Zimmerman, citing Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law, which allows people to use deadly force when they believe they are in danger of getting killed or suffering great bodily harm.
The lack of an arrest led thousands to march in rallies in Sanford and around the nation to demand Zimmerman's arrest and criticize investigators. The public outrage forced the Sanford police chief and regularly assigned prosecutor to step aside.
Gov. Rick Scott appointed Angela Corey as special prosecutor, and Corey charged Zimmerman on April 11.---http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/20/us-usa-florida-shooting-idUSBRE83J0JT20120420
That shooting occurred on February 26, and George Zimmerman was not even charged until April 11.
That won't be repeated in this case, the right to presumption of innocence and to reasonable bail before trial in Florida are gone, thanks to the circus in Sanford. Is Reeves a flight risk? Is he expected to kill again?

If the judge refused bail only because he thought Reeves was guilty, instead of all the other usual factors, then why have a trial at all?

Last edited by ChuteTheMall; 02-10-2014 at 08:42 AM..

Old 02-10-2014, 09:56 AM

790 posts, read 1,268,391 times
I was at the mall yesterday (Citrus Park) and it just seems everyone is on edge. It just feels like people are weary of each other and waiting for "something to happen". Whether it is to use their guns or get shot, that Im not sure of...anyone else get this vibe lately while in public?

Old 02-10-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
I was at the mall yesterday (Citrus Park) and it just seems everyone is on edge. It just feels like people are weary of each other and waiting for "something to happen". Whether it is to use their guns or get shot, that Im not sure of...anyone else get this vibe lately while in public?
I don't see anyone throwing popcorn, bullies are afraid to mess with senior citizens, and texting in theaters is out of style.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 821 times
Quote:

I would believe it in Florida. You've got one of the worst economies with a very armed and unforgiving populace. It really isn't like this in other places, although the entire nation is decaying rapidly.

Washington is powerless to help and so the citizens only refuge is the state. We need a new national capital and stronger state government with an interest in their people. That will likely mean a weaker Union, but at least people can live and survive.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:18 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Why do you think people shoot and kill attackers only in Florida....

Man with concealed weapon shoots 'knockout game' attacker – twice
Man with concealed weapon shoots 'knockout game' attacker – twice. November 22, 2013 by Joe Saunders.

Jul 1, 2011 - Uploaded by rets1987
Watch as the tables turn on this cracked out attacker named Brandon Turner. He was shot twice by a .45 gun ...

Teen Playing 'Knockout' Game Shot Twice By Intended Victim ...
newsone.com › Nation‎

Nov 21, 2013 - He hopped out of the van and quickly attacked the man with a faulty ..... As far as this case goes, the FBI trainers teach that you shoot to kill.

NRA News | North Carolina Man Shoots Neighbor's Attacker
North Carolina Man Shoots Neighbor's Attacker.

Man shoots his attacker to death - WBRC
http://www.myfoxal.com/story/.../man...acker-to-death

Nov 17, 2013 - FAIRRIELD,AL (WBRC) - A man in Fairfield called police this morning around 4:55 a.m. saying he shot another man who had attacked him.

Report: Fla. officer shoots, kills naked attacker - CBS News
http://www.cbsnews.com/.../report-fl...ed-a...‎
CBS News

MLive gets it right. Almost. Victim shoots attacker in Knockout Game ...
whitegirlbleedalot.com/mlive-gets-it-right-almost-victim-shoots-attacker-...‎
Aug 26, 2013 - Victim shoots attacker in Knockout Game. ... The car screeched to a stop, one man got out, and hit 20-year old Colton Gleason in the face.

Martin Luther King Jr. High School coach shoots attackers - WXYZ.com
http://www.wxyz.com/.../man-shot-nea...igh-...‎
WXYZ‑TV

Feb 1, 2013 - Detroit police say they discovered the body of a young man in the median of Lafayette Boulevard near Martin Luther King Jr. Senior High ...
'Point 'em out, knock 'em out': Attacker shot by concealed weapon ...
http://www.mlive.com/news/.../point_...a.ht...‎
by John Barnes - in 54 Google+ circles

Sep 5, 2013 - But under the plea deal, the 17-year-old attacker could have his ... This police evidence photo shows the .40-caliber Smith and Wesson police seized after a man with a concealed handgun permit shot a ... "Did you shoot him?

Thug Playing Knockout Game Targets Wrong Michigan Man

AND THAT IS ONLY THE 1ST PAGE ON A GOOGLE SEARCH FOR "man shoots attacker"

s ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by verysadsad View Post
I would believe it in Florida. You've got one of the worst economies with a very armed and unforgiving populace. It really isn't like this in other places, although the entire nation is decaying rapidly.

Washington is powerless to help and so the citizens only refuge is the state. We need a new national capital and stronger state government with an interest in their people. That will likely mean a weaker Union, but at least people can live and survive.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:21 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
What on earth does the economy of FL have to do with this matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysadsad View Post

Old 02-10-2014, 11:38 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
No, not at all. Yesterday I took a walk in the park and people were just enjoying the sunshine, playing with their dogs. I'm currently visiting Saint Simons Island, about an hour north of Jacksonville, but I've lived in Florida for over 20 years. I spoke to friends in Englewood, Port Charlotte and Sarasota over the weekend and all they talked about was the beautiful weather (and the Olympics!) Glad I don't live in Tampa if this is the way people feel, because there will continue to be more shootings just because people are "wary" of one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay