Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 09:05 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Well, it still doesn't make sense to me.... the killer used his cell phone inside the theater for texting, but when someone else did the same, he asked to stop, went to the management to complain, come back and started the argument again and then used the gun. Wow! I am glad this guy is in jail now, really. Cannot wait for the trail.
Maybe one send or received a txt prior to the message coming onto the screen to stop using cell phones.

I wasn't there so I don't have the answers and most of the answers will come out during the trial.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:59 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,804,900 times
I thought it was known and confirmed the shooting happened during the preview and BEFORE "no cell phone massage" was aired...

Old 03-13-2014, 02:55 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,201,862 times
Quote:
The shooter used his cell phone for receiving a text from his son (who was running late) and replied to him... all inside the theater 15 minutes prior to shooting.... (according to ABC news aired tonight).... So, let me get it straight - the shooter used his cell phone for texting inside the theater, but didn't want anyone else to do it, so he provoke the innocent man and killed him... Great!
If this is true, he's toast.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:13 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Maybe one send or received a txt prior to the message coming onto the screen to stop using cell phones.

I wasn't there so I don't have the answers and most of the answers will come out during the trial.

Does it really matter? You can't go around trying to control other people's behavior.

If someone is about to back into your car in a parking lot, you speak up.

If someone was talking on their cell phone in the middle of the movie and it is interfering with your viewing of the film, you speak up.

But you don't go around looking to start altercations. Over something that isn't impacting you.

Just like the hothead who shot and killed the kid at the gas station in Jacksonville. Who cares if someone is blasting their music, you have to deal with it for what 3 minutes?????

Last edited by seain dublin; 03-13-2014 at 06:22 PM..

Old 03-13-2014, 06:18 PM

35,691 posts, read 21,045,148 times
I said from the start,,, he was charged accordance to certain evidence...the son a police officer was there, and the shooter also a police officer,,, who KNOWS the law,--- the charge was very well thought out... more to follow.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:43 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
I thought it was known and confirmed the shooting happened during the preview and BEFORE "no cell phone massage" was aired...
No, this theater was fully a "no cell phone zone" (as well as a "no gun zone"). He should not have been using his cell phone at all within the auditorium (not that I'm supporting the shooter, just clarifying that particular point).

Old 03-13-2014, 08:31 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,290 times
I find it troubling that there are people on here who continue to imply that since he used a cell phone in a movie theater that somehow he got what was coming to him. We're supposed to be a civilized society and people in civilized societies don't escalate something so trivial into shootings.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:55 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe66 View Post
First off all, this is not a SYG case. Secondly, you just don't claim SYG and walk away. Proving that it was SYG is not very easy. Prosecutors find holes in SYG cases which sinks them.
If it wasnt a SYG event then what is the shooters defence to his actions?

Old 03-14-2014, 02:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
No, this theater was fully a "no cell phone zone" (as well as a "no gun zone"). He should not have been using his cell phone at all within the auditorium (not that I'm supporting the shooter, just clarifying that particular point).
This is the first movie theater i've heard of where cell phones are not permitted.
Watching the video of the actual shooting event clearly shows houselights are still on in the theater which signifies to me the previews hadnt started and they were still in the very primary stages of the movie event.
New evidence i read from somewhere has the shooter actually using his own cell phone minutes before the incident with Paulsen commenced.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:52 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe66 View Post
First off all, this is not a SYG case. Secondly, you just don't claim SYG and walk away. Proving that it was SYG is not very easy. Prosecutors find holes in SYG cases which sinks them.

What you don't seem to get it there are way too many people walking around FL who think "Stand Your Ground" means if I think I feel threatened and someone looks at me cross eyed I can go ahead shoot them.

That is the problem.

There was a road rage incident in Tampa(well actually a few) where one driver(both young males) shot and killed the other driver, he also drove off leaving the guy dying. They both pulled off the road. The shooter got off scot free.

Similar situation in Alabama about 10 yrs ago this time between two women, the shooter went to jail for 10 or 15 yrs for killing the other female driver. The judge said to the shooter who claimed she was in fear of life "well than why did you pull off the road in the first place to confront this other driver".

That's the way it should be handled.

So you can say it's not SYG, the problem is the law is not clear enough and these people are pulling out guns and shooting people in ridiculous situations because they think they can under the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I find it troubling that there are people on here who continue to imply that since he used a cell phone in a movie theater that somehow he got what was coming to him. We're supposed to be a civilized society and people in civilized societies don't escalate something so trivial into shootings.
Exactly. And again you can't control other people's behavior.

If you let minor things like someone texting in a movie theater before the film starts, than you let everything get under your skin. If it so annoying that you have to get into confrontation over it than avoid movie theaters and get Netflix or Redox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay