Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 10:01 AM

35,362 posts, read 20,722,137 times

Advertisements

you can take your phones anywhere you like, just cant use them anywhere you want, as in planes, or places that ask you NOT to use, not prohibit in most cses,,, just be concious of others and not use.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:05 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,160,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I find it troubling that there are people on here who continue to imply that since he used a cell phone in a movie theater that somehow he got what was coming to him. We're supposed to be a civilized society and people in civilized societies don't escalate something so trivial into shootings.
Civilized society? Ha! People no longer have respect for each other or human life. Look at your username. It's disrespectful and demeaning to FL/Floridians.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:49 AM

79 posts, read 88,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If it wasnt a SYG event then what is the shooters defence to his actions?

Simple. Self defense. He was in fear of his continued well being. Was it necessary to shoot someone in the chest? Heck no. It could have been dealt with in different ways. Like call 911 and have your assailant arrested. Shooter couldn't just hit the guy back, then he is as guilty of assault as the shooting victim.

I think he will wind up with manslaughter. Its not a murder case. The guy was being attacked. He responded.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:59 AM

If you believe that there are many people walking around FL thinking they can shoot someone at the drop of a hat, then why does it not happen? Maybe that is the way YOU think people are thinking but if it was so then it would be an every day occurance and it is not happening. There are so few times when a licensed concealed weapons holder uses the weapon. Dont forget there are 1 million concealed weapon permits out there. So not even one tenth of 1 percent of them have fired their weapons under any circumstances. Your theory also does not play out since many states have SYG laws on the books. It doesn't happen here and it does not happen in other places, but you can read minds and know that the legal handgun carrier is out to shoot someone just for the hell of it or if they perceive a slight against them. It just isn't true.

You and others are stuck on the concept that the guy got shot for texting. He did not get shot for texting, he got shot for attacking someone, physically. So please do not purport that he got killed
for texting when that is not close to the truth. If he didnt attack the guy he wouldn't have gotten shot.

It is also obvious that Reeves did not make it a habit of shooting people for no reason at all or for any reasons for that matter, until he got attacked in the close quarters of a movie theater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
What you don't seem to get it there are way too many people walking around FL who think "Stand Your Ground" means if I think I feel threatened and someone looks at me cross eyed I can go ahead shoot them.

That is the problem.

There was a road rage incident in Tampa(well actually a few) where one driver(both young males) shot and killed the other driver, he also drove off leaving the guy dying. They both pulled off the road. The shooter got off scot free.

Similar situation in Alabama about 10 yrs ago this time between two women, the shooter went to jail for 10 or 15 yrs for killing the other female driver. The judge said to the shooter who claimed she was in fear of life "well than why did you pull off the road in the first place to confront this other driver".

That's the way it should be handled.

So you can say it's not SYG, the problem is the law is not clear enough and these people are pulling out guns and shooting people in ridiculous situations because they think they can under the law.

Exactly. And again you can't control other people's behavior.

If you let minor things like someone texting in a movie theater before the film starts, than you let everything get under your skin. If it so annoying that you have to get into confrontation over it than avoid movie theaters and get Netflix or Redox.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:03 AM

Again you are not looking at the cause. In Jacksonville the guy thought he saw a weapon and he reactesd to that. He didnt just go and shoot because of loud music. In neither of these shootings was the shooter "looking to start altercations". Only criminals do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Does it really matter? You can't go around trying to control other people's behavior.

If someone is about to back into your car in a parking lot, you speak up.

If someone was talking on their cell phone in the middle of the movie and it is interfering with your viewing of the film, you speak up.

But you don't go around looking to start altercations. Over something that isn't impacting you.

Just like the hothead who shot and killed the kid at the gas station in Jacksonville. Who cares if someone is blasting their music, you have to deal with it for what 3 minutes?????

Old 03-14-2014, 11:06 AM

If the victim didn't physically attack the shooter he would still be alive today. He went too far and he paid the price. I guess you are one of those nitwits who would subject yourself to a beating, a robbery, rape, assault without trying to defend yourself. Pansies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I find it troubling that there are people on here who continue to imply that since he used a cell phone in a movie theater that somehow he got what was coming to him. We're supposed to be a civilized society and people in civilized societies don't escalate something so trivial into shootings.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:50 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,595,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Civilized society? Ha! People no longer have respect for each other or human life. Look at your username. It's disrespectful and demeaning to FL/Floridians.
LOL, what? You think because my username says I don't like Florida that it's demeaning? You need to grow some thicker skin or get the help you need since you can't seem to get past my username.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:56 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,595,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe66 View Post
If the victim didn't physically attack the shooter he would still be alive today. He went too far and he paid the price. I guess you are one of those nitwits who would subject yourself to a beating, a robbery, rape, assault without trying to defend yourself. Pansies.
There are pages and pages in this thread from you defending the shooter so there really is no sense in arguing with you about it. BTW, I'm not against self defense, but I would have never been in the situation Reeves provoked in the first place.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:16 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,016,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe66 View Post
He threw some popcorn at the guy..

Old 03-14-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
He threw some popcorn at the guy..

we shall see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay