Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 03:19 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
That's right, but the assault began before anything was thrown. Let's here your story.

My wife or anyone I know wouldnt start an altercation like that.
That is like our family...we would rather walk away and not waste our popcorn and get into an altercation and also...we would turn off our cell phones in the movie theater when it is requested and shown on screen.

I understand that one poster may or may not know more about this and is upset if he/she really knows the people and if he/she was present than he/she may know more...otherwise it is hearsay and perhaps biased because he/she knows the victim and is personally more involved.

But knowing someone doesn't always (although often) makes you to know what that person did or how that person would have reacted since in some cases people did things others never expected or they had a some secret life that nobody in their circle was aware off. That is what often is seen on dateline, etc.

I also wonder if the victim was married before or in different relationship and what a previous partner will have to say in court about the victims demeanor ....

In this case 2 or 3 people will be on "trial" when the trial starts. We have seen in many cases that the victim will be on trial too since the defense will spit through the victims past and in this case there clearly was some kind of altercation between the 2 parties and the shooter seems to have been solely involved on his side while more people were involved for the victims side. It will be interesting to see what will play out over the next months.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:23 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Thats actually pretty scarey, guns on the golf course, guns in the movie theatres. There better be plenty of umbrellas for people to hide behind when the Bully starts kicking sand on the beach. Starting to sound like the wild west down there.
Better watch out up there too.....

NH police arrest 2 in near-fatal shooting - News Local New Hampshire - Boston.com

NH police still seek shooter in Nashua shooting - News Local New Hampshire - Boston.com

Police looking for two men in Rochester home invasion, shooting | New Hampshire Crime

Old 01-17-2014, 03:28 PM

819 posts, read 1,409,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanti1 View Post
I have lived where cops didn't carry guns...I also have a sheriff for a neighbor that never carries his gun when not on duty. Your point? I still dont see why you need a gun on a golf course?
Well, assuming you have a reason to carry it in other places between the golf course and home, your options are leave it in the car for someone to steal, leave it on your person which I can imagine doesn't help your golf swing, put it in your golf bag. There you have it, a valid reason.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:54 PM

892 posts, read 1,577,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
Right...

Battery as in "I would like to press charges officer"

Not...

"I had to shoot him officer, I had no other choice"

I just wanted to reiterate this again.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:10 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanti1 View Post
I have lived where cops didn't carry guns...I also have a sheriff for a neighbor that never carries his gun when not on duty. Your point? I still dont see why you need a gun on a golf course?
Last year a cop left a gun in a movie theater bathroom after washing his hands...remember that story. Things can happen, some leave their phone, others their wedding rings, etc.

Btw cops don't always share things like "I always carry my gun"....some will never tell you things like that and even if they say they don't carry it they may carry it but don't want others to know.

I know RE agents who most of the time carry a gun for showings...women and men. One has a stun gun and many have pepper spray on them to protect themselves while others carry knives.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:22 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,614,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Last year a cop left a gun in a movie theater bathroom after washing his hands...remember that story. Things can happen, some leave their phone, others their wedding rings, etc.

Btw cops don't always share things like "I always carry my gun"....some will never tell you things like that and even if they say they don't carry it they may carry it but don't want others to know.

I know RE agents who most of the time carry a gun for showings...women and men. One has a stun gun and many have pepper spray on them to protect themselves while others carry knives.
We have been very good friends with this Sheriff and I know his family well. He does not like having guns around his kids and gets sick of having them for work. He likes to leave work at work and sees too many gun accidents to carry it on him. Yes, I know there was a cop that left his gun in a theatre, some cops are like that but not all of them. Some gun carrying citizens are responsible and safe, some are irresponsible and unsafe.
Still doesnt explain the need for one on a golf course which was my initial comment.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:24 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,577,335 times
Quote:
That is part of the problem here. People do not understand what the laws state.
And obviously neither do you. At 1:56 of the video the State points out "eyewitnesses interviewed by the PCSO never saw the victim strike, threaten or hit" the murderer....therefore no assault.

Chad Oulson Murder - Curtis Reeves, Jr Bond Hearing - Part 2 - YouTube

Old 01-17-2014, 04:27 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,614,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbound View Post
Well, assuming you have a reason to carry it in other places between the golf course and home, your options are leave it in the car for someone to steal, leave it on your person which I can imagine doesn't help your golf swing, put it in your golf bag. There you have it, a valid reason.
So no one could steal your golf bag?

Old 01-17-2014, 04:38 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,324 times
Quote:
Not proven to be anything yet, but an assault occurred and since a senior citizen was the target of the assault it become a felony assault.
Close, but no cigar.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Per 784.08 ...
(2) Whenever a person is charged with committing an assault or aggravated assault or a battery or aggravated battery upon a person 65 years of age or older, regardless of whether he or she knows or has reason to know the age of the victim, the offense for which the person is charged shall be reclassified as follows:
(d) In the case of assault, from a misdemeanor of the second degree to a misdemeanor of the first degree.

There would have to be a battery involved to change a misdemeanor to a felony based upon age.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:59 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,580 times
No problem here. Thats probablly closer to being a Massachusetts thing. 4 hours south of me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay