Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2008, 07:06 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times

Advertisements

You can open a social group for the Tampa Bay or even General Florida on City-data..

You can invite others or they can join on their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,843 times
Wink Estrellitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post
here Is The Place To Chat..

Find Something Great About Tampa You Want To Share.. Put It Here. Stop By And Just Say 'hi'

Not That We Want Just Complaints Here But If You Need To Vent About Crime Or Traffic You Can Do It Here.

The Terms Of Service Still Apply Regarding Personal Attacks, Racist Comments And Foul Language..
Aquiend E Tampa

Old 06-25-2008, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,648 times
Ok, Everyone, I just joined up here, Nice to meet you all.
I'm moving to Tampa/Clearwater area on July 14th, 2008. I have a house to stay in because my cousin owns a place there, and is allowing me to use her house, 'til I find a new job, and place of my own. She won't be coming back there for atleast 5 months.
My name is Nick. I'm 30 years old and I'm originally from Hamden, Ct. Near NewHaven, Ct. I moved to North Carolina last year, but now I am ready to hit Tampa, or even better, Clearwater, for all I am worth. I'm very determined to make it. I haven't got much money in hand, to go there with, but my place to stay is free and I can sustaine for a few months if I absolutely need to.
I DO NOT, want to have to do that though. I am desperately seeking a job down there. I don't care, I'll take a job at Jiffy-Lube to start with and move into a real job once something comes available after I'm down there. Does anyone know of anything at all down there to check out, who might employ me?
I'm an extremely skilled mechanic, and can fix anything but a broken heart, especially my own. I am also a reptile fanatic and I love all animals very much. I'd work in a pet store amusement park or Gas station and be just as at home in either one.
Currently, but not for much longer, I work for the E.P.A., in conjuction with O.S.H.A. I cannot get a transfer, and have been with the E.P.A. now for almost two years. I used to own my own trucking company and sold all 30 trucks and the whole business to Fed-Ex, Custom Critical just before getting on board at the E.P.A.. I have a bachelors in science, and went through two years of technical school for Auto Mechanics just after high school. I'm not stupid, and I'm very very determined to succeed down in Tampa/Clearwater area.

Does anyone know of even a gas station job I can scoup up, or have waiting for me when I go down there..? Landscapers, car washes, Checkers, car dealership, Alligator Farm..?
Anything I can get, I'm not picky. Any good temp agencies down there..?

HELP PLEASE!! I don't want to go there empty handed.

Thanks in advance everyone. Nick

Old 06-25-2008, 01:38 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
check out TBO.com classifed section for jobs.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:18 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayside Blues View Post
...two years of technical school for Auto Mechanics
Hey Nick, do you have any experience working in a garage or dealership? There are LOTS of places for a mechanic around here. Lots of dealers and tons of small lots, also many chains ie. Tire Kingdom, Firestone(now called Tires Plus), Goodyear, Allied Tire etc. All have bays of course. I doubt it would be to difficult landing something in the auto field here. Even a management position in auto parts may be worth looking into or parts dept. at a dealership.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:38 AM

2 posts, read 5,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summergal View Post
Hey Nick, do you have any experience working in a garage or dealership? There are LOTS of places for a mechanic around here. Lots of dealers and tons of small lots, also many chains ie. Tire Kingdom, Firestone(now called Tires Plus), Goodyear, Allied Tire etc. All have bays of course. I doubt it would be to difficult landing something in the auto field here. Even a management position in auto parts may be worth looking into or parts dept. at a dealership.
Yes, Summergal, as a matter of fact I've worked in the service departments of a Cadillac/Olds/Pontiac dealer, a Ford Dealer, a Ferrari Dealer, and my favorite was a Mercedes/BMW/Audi/Mini Dealer. Back before I started driving trucks, I was hopping around through a bunch of the local dealers from when I was only 15 years old, all through college, and 'til I turned 25, after college, and went to drive trucks. I spent a few years at each dealership, 'til the better offers came along, naturally. I'd love to land a job at a dealership, body shop, restoration shop, or especially some sort of exotic car dealership. I'd even take a tire shop, I don't care, as long as I get my foot in the door somewhere, so I can be successful, even if living frugally. I'll turn wrenches again. Many of my certifications have long expired, but I'm sure they can be renewed, if any of that really matters to them. Thanks for the inspiration.
Thanks Summergal

Old 06-26-2008, 05:53 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,707 times
Quote:
Yes, Summergal, as a matter of fact I've worked in the service departments of a Cadillac/Olds/Pontiac dealer, a Ford Dealer, a Ferrari Dealer, and my favorite was a Mercedes/BMW/Audi/Mini Dealer. Back before I started driving trucks, I was hopping around through a bunch of the local dealers from when I was only 15 years old, all through college, and 'til I turned 25, after college, and went to drive trucks. I spent a few years at each dealership, 'til the better offers came along, naturally. I'd love to land a job at a dealership, body shop, restoration shop, or especially some sort of exotic car dealership. I'd even take a tire shop, I don't care, as long as I get my foot in the door somewhere, so I can be successful, even if living frugally. I'll turn wrenches again. Many of my certifications have long expired, but I'm sure they can be renewed, if any of that really matters to them. Thanks for the inspiration.
Thanks Summergal
Check your private messages... I sent ya some ideas/leads. Once you get here and drive around you will see what I mean.

Btw, are you Bayside Blues because you have the blues or play the blues?

Old 07-20-2008, 08:08 PM

9 posts, read 32,058 times
Quote:
Ok, Everyone, I just joined up here, Nice to meet you all.
I'm moving to Tampa/Clearwater area on July 14th, 2008. I have a house to stay in because my cousin owns a place there, and is allowing me to use her house, 'til I find a new job, and place of my own. She won't be coming back there for atleast 5 months.
My name is Nick. I'm 30 years old and I'm originally from Hamden, Ct. Near NewHaven, Ct. I moved to North Carolina last year, but now I am ready to hit Tampa, or even better, Clearwater, for all I am worth. I'm very determined to make it. I haven't got much money in hand, to go there with, but my place to stay is free and I can sustaine for a few months if I absolutely need to.
I DO NOT, want to have to do that though. I am desperately seeking a job down there. I don't care, I'll take a job at Jiffy-Lube to start with and move into a real job once something comes available after I'm down there. Does anyone know of anything at all down there to check out, who might employ me?
I'm an extremely skilled mechanic, and can fix anything but a broken heart, especially my own. I am also a reptile fanatic and I love all animals very much. I'd work in a pet store amusement park or Gas station and be just as at home in either one.
Currently, but not for much longer, I work for the E.P.A., in conjuction with O.S.H.A. I cannot get a transfer, and have been with the E.P.A. now for almost two years. I used to own my own trucking company and sold all 30 trucks and the whole business to Fed-Ex, Custom Critical just before getting on board at the E.P.A.. I have a bachelors in science, and went through two years of technical school for Auto Mechanics just after high school. I'm not stupid, and I'm very very determined to succeed down in Tampa/Clearwater area.

Does anyone know of even a gas station job I can scoup up, or have waiting for me when I go down there..? Landscapers, car washes, Checkers, car dealership, Alligator Farm..?
Anything I can get, I'm not picky. Any good temp agencies down there..?

HELP PLEASE!! I don't want to go there empty handed.

Thanks in advance everyone. Nick

Hi Nick: I'm new to Tampa, just moved here last week, but not new to Florida. I've lived here for 20+ years. You say you have a Bachelor's in Science? Are you absolutely intent on going into auto mechanics, or are you keeping options open? Is your BS in a particular specialty? Like BS in biology, computer programming, etc? If you have a resume you could forward via PM, I might know of something. There is a lot of industry here (comparatively speaking, to the rest of Florida). I'll be glad to help if I can.

All the best,
Chiron

Old 07-20-2008, 08:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,870 times
Default newlyweds headed up there!

Both of us have lived all our lives in south florida. We are really tired of the people and the traffic and the old memories. He has a sister who lives in Bradenton(?) and he will be attending college for interpreting for the deaf. I do web design and i am sooo scared about getting a job up there. His sister tells us there is affordable living in tampa but since i dont know the areas of tampa not sure where to look. any and all suggestions welcome!! pretty tight budget for renting. no more than 600 for rent? >.< is it possible?

Old 07-20-2008, 09:09 PM

9 posts, read 32,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_cutie25 View Post
Both of us have lived all our lives in south florida. We are really tired of the people and the traffic and the old memories. He has a sister who lives in Bradenton(?) and he will be attending college for interpreting for the deaf. I do web design and i am sooo scared about getting a job up there. His sister tells us there is affordable living in tampa but since i dont know the areas of tampa not sure where to look. any and all suggestions welcome!! pretty tight budget for renting. no more than 600 for rent? >.< is it possible?
Yikes. I have seen apartments advertised for five-hundred something per month and six hundred, but they are one-bedroom or efficiencies, and seem to be not in the best of areas. If he is attending college, how about a grant to help offset living expenses? Will he be attending USF? There's tons of apartments very near there, and lots of places to work as well. There is a "Telecom" place here - not quite sure yet what the place is or what all businesses are located there, but I would venture to guess that you will have no problem whatsoever in finding a job.

If he is going to attend USF, you may want to consider the Temple Terrace area to live. That's just one suggestion - other's who have been here longer may have other suggestions. But welcome! I think you will love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay