Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 08:56 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times

Advertisements

What part of the midwest?

It gets in the low 90s in Tpa and with humidity feels hotter. Rains usually every afternoon someplace. Thunder and lightening are common, although the rain does bring down the temp. Doesn't cool off much at night with the lows being in the high 70s.
Comparing it to OKC where the temps are higher but with less humidity, probably feels about the same. There isn't much wind in the summer unless there is a storm nearby. The gulf gets really warm by the middle of July. Pool water is usually still cool unlike OKC where the water gets bath temp in the summer.

Tornadoes aren't unheard of in the Tampa area, but are usually they aren't F3-4s either. Spring is a couple of weeks as is fall/winter.

Not sure if that helps much, but of course as a disclaimer the information above is generalized and can change from one day to the next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyteach View Post
I'm a children's book author who lives in Tampa. Would love to join a group of other children's book authors around the area. Does anyone know of a group like this?
I have been writing and directing plays for quite a few years and I wrote a children's book a few years ago. I am a teacher and have read it to students in many different grade levels and they all loved it. I have not yet been published but I would love the opportunity to speak to you and get advice on how to get published, if you wouldn't mind giving me some of your time?

Old 02-18-2008, 11:40 AM

48 posts, read 244,050 times
Hi everyone - I'm a 25 year old guy living in Minneapolis and have plans to move to the Tampa/St. Pete area in late summer/early fall. I'm basically waiting until then because it's better for my career. Too long of story to tell, but that's the main point. Anyways, I just had to vent that I'm so sick of the cold up here and that's why I'm moving. It hasn't snowed a lot this season (we're about 20 inches below the average right now), but it has been colder than normal. The high yesterday was an abnormal 36 degrees and it felt like it was about 80.

I'm heading down to the area in mid-March with my family for a short vacation with my family. Can't wait to be there. I've been down there about 6-7 times the past few years and really like it. Hence why I'm moving there. Also I look at these forums almost daily. It has been a great way to learn more about the area even more and see how people feel about it. Tampaguy03's posts about why he like living there/history/activities to take advantage of/etc have especially been useful. Keep the great posts coming.

Just wanted to say hi to everyone and that I look forward to the move in 6-7 months!!

Old 02-18-2008, 08:06 PM

I think you will most of the poster's on the Tampa forum are very helpful. Everyone is honest in their opinions although as in most cases they may not always agree.
Tampaguy can be counted on to give good advice, as do many other posters.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:05 PM

54 posts, read 217,271 times
Default Way back

Hey y'all. I have deep roots in Tampa, Ybor in particular. My grandfather painted and laid tile on the Columbia Restaurant and the Tampa Hotel, now the U of Tampa. My father sold papers as a boy outside the Columbia - that would have been around 1915... He was born on 7th Ave. Of course during the urban "removal" of the '60's 55 square blocks of homes were destroyed, including his.
As kids we'd visit relatives, eat breakfast of Cuban coffee and bread at the Silver Ring, and go back for Cuban sandwiches for lunch. Ah, the good old days.
Tampa has it's challenges but it's still a great city with a lot to offer.
I'm grateful I had opportunities to see it in it's original format

Old 02-21-2008, 08:01 AM

You might enjoy reading Cigar City Mafia. It is about Ybor City back in the days when the mafia was in Ybor City. The author has a lot of interesting facts about Ybor, like the tunnels that ran under the stores.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:00 AM

657 posts, read 1,788,254 times
i was wondering what people that have moved to florida did about jobs? did you apply and get a job before moving or wait until you get there?
i really worry about getting there, and not finding work. we have 2 small children, and we would prob like to purchase a home right away. we know the area we are moving to, bradenton 34202. good schools.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:06 PM

12 posts, read 61,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE DIAZ View Post
TAMPA IS WHERE I WAS RAISED AND KNOW ABOUT WHAT'S IS ALL ABOUT. POLITICS, HIGH CRIME AND A VERY LARGE OF ILLEGAL DRUGS ACTIVITY. I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE BUT YOU SHOULD DRIVE AROUND SOME OF OUR NEIGHBORHOODS AND SEE THE REAL TAMPA.
I know there's drug problem, crime, and politics but all cities have that problem.I've lived on both sides of the bay and i've noticed areas, hell i live in one of those areas. All i'm saying is this is a beautiful place and i think the warm weather is alot better than the cold.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:09 PM

54 posts, read 217,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
You might enjoy reading Cigar City Mafia. It is about Ybor City back in the days when the mafia was in Ybor City. The author has a lot of interesting facts about Ybor, like the tunnels that ran under the stores.
Thanks Keeper I'll check it out.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:36 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,069 times
Default hi tampaland

So what is up tampa land forum? gossip please!

haven't been here in a while.
hope all is well and kick'n
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay