U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 11:48 AM

49 posts, read 88,085 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are from the DMV area. We want to relocate to the suburbs of Tampa. We have been looking at Brandon and Wesley Chapel. I know alot will depend on the LL. We have been renting at our current apartment for 4 years (solid history, no evictions, court filings or anything like that). Credit issues stem from 1 credit card, a few medical bills, and student loans. We own our car and do not have a car note. We're 29, have a 2 and 4 year old. We have settled on renting first for a number of reasons. How difficult is it to secure a rental in the area with credit issues? My husband will be transferring his job, and we will have some savings. I will either resume remote work with a client that I already have in the area, or secure a job after we move (I'm in the accounting field and have already began applying). Our lease where we currently live will be up this May and we are in dire need of more space, we've been wait-listed all these years, nothing ever becomes available, and I no longer work in the area and he has the freedom to transfer wherever we are to move to, so we really have no desire to renew in our current community again. Cost of living up here where we live is ridiculously high and getting worst. We wanted to move some time this spring but are wondering if we should put it off another year because of our credit issues which have been a challenge to combat up here because of the high cost of living. However, if the move is doable given his transfer and despite our credit issues we would love to relocate as soon as this spring. Anyone relocate to this area with similar circumstances? What was your experience and how did things play out for you?

Last edited by MD84; 01-20-2014 at 12:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 01:20 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,535,672 times
I don't think the area would be much different than most other areas but, rather, it would simply depend on the landlord you're dealing with on how strict they are with background and credit checks.

IMO, I think being honest upfront is the best policy that way it doesn't look like you're trying to hide anything. Also, you've been at one rental for 4 years, I would definitely use that to your advantage and ensure a reliable reference from that landlord.

Also, if you go through a property management company that has multiple rentals, you only have to go through this process once - meaning, if everything checks out, you will have multiple options instead of going from one potential landlord to another paying for an application each time.

Good luck!

Old 01-20-2014, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the property management tip. I was definitely concerned about having our credit pulled more than once and possibly multiple times. My credit took a "multiple pull" hit this past summer when we purchased a car, it's an experience I don't care to go through again and why we ended up just paying cash for a car.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:06 PM

1,725 posts, read 2,996,228 times
I don't think they look at exactly the same things for credit that you would if you were buying a home. They are probably looking more for bankruptcy, owing previous rental companies, or things like that. I could be wrong tho.

MANY, MANY people are renting around here that had there home Foreclosed on, had a Short Sale, and things like that.

Lot of unknowns in your post. You say you want more room, but how much do you have now? What is acceptable in terms of square feet, distance from work, distance from anything specific (beach, schools, etc...)

Rentals are available. I see signs all the time. Brandon, Valrico, and Riverview are all fairly close so I wouldn't discount any of the three. There are locations in all three where I wouldn't want to live based on traffic, schools, or look and feel of the place. For Wesley Chapel, you also have Land O Lakes, Lutz, Zephyrhills, and New Tampa. They ALL BORDER Wesley Chapel. So I would keep my options open there as well. There are places around these cities as well that I wouldn't want to live based on the same reasons as Brandon, Valrico and Riverview.

So, that opens up some things. I would not worry too much about credit ratings. If you are, find a reputable property management company and have them run your information to see if they would rent to you. May eliminate some stress.

I feel much more familiar talking about Wesley Chapel, Lutz, Land O Lakes, Zephyrhills, New Tampa then I do the ones further South. Feel free to find some places and ask questions. Go to Realtor.com and click rentals instead of for sale and you will see what is out there.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:19 PM

We are stuck in a one bedroom apartment currently. We've been patient enough with our current apartment community as far as waiting for a larger unit to become available, nothing has changed in the past few years we have lived here, nothing is ever available when its time for renewal, but are always promised if we renew when something is available we can transfer units. We only stayed here because it was what we could afford, convenient grocery, doctors office, restaurants, bank, post office store etc all walking distance. It was close to our jobs (at times I was able to walk to work), but now my husband can transfer his job, and a contract that I had with a business in the neighborhood ended last week. Since I no longer work in the area, my husband can transfer, and our lease will be up soon I figured this would be a good time to relocate.

Three bedrooms and a home with a fenced backyard would be ideal for us, 30 mins or less to get to work for myself as I'd more than likely end up working in the city, my husband works for a franchise restaurant and can hone in on an exact location that is the closest to wherever will be home for us. I planned on posting another question to get into specifics of what we are are looking for to narrow down areas. However, we are open to surrounding areas.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:50 PM

2,719 posts, read 4,403,272 times
More than the housing, you will have problem getting a job in accounting with your credit issues. You should be worried about that, if you need additional income than your husband's to survive. I am aware of people who lost a job, otherwise offered to them because of credit. Since there are lots of competition for a place, your issue with credit will hurt you, just FYI. You better clear that up before moving down.

Good luck!

Old 01-20-2014, 05:09 PM

I hadn't considered the issues limiting my ability to get a job but I guess it is something else to consider. I used to work for a bank as a teller back in 2010 and had to undergo a credit check finger printing background check etc before successfully obtaining the job. Although, I'm not sure if the standards that the bank had were lower than those of firms, as I had relatively the same amount of debt and credit issues back then when I worked as a teller. I mostly contract (take on jobs under 1099 status) now as a bookkeeper under my own DBA as a sole proprietor up here where we live now and have been doing so for the past 2 years. I hope to resume the same in the area when we relocate, but had considered taking a job/ employment instead. Yes, additional income in addition to my husband's would be best to increase our chances I assumed.

Definitely open to waiting if we have to. But cost of living is high where we are. For a 3 bedroom townhouse average rental rates are $1800-2100/month, lowest I've ever seen a townhouse in our area was $1650 but it only had 2 bedrooms. For a 3-4 bedroom single family home average rental rates are $2500-3500/month. Cost of living seems so much lower and more doable for us in the Tampa area.

Last edited by MD84; 01-20-2014 at 05:26 PM..

Old 01-20-2014, 07:51 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,129,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD84 View Post
My husband and I are from the DMV area. We want to relocate to the suburbs of Tampa. We have been looking at Brandon and Wesley Chapel. I know alot will depend on the LL. We have been renting at our current apartment for 4 years (solid history, no evictions, court filings or anything like that). Credit issues stem from 1 credit card, a few medical bills, and student loans. We own our car and do not have a car note. We're 29, have a 2 and 4 year old. We have settled on renting first for a number of reasons. How difficult is it to secure a rental in the area with credit issues? My husband will be transferring his job, and we will have some savings. I will either resume remote work with a client that I already have in the area, or secure a job after we move (I'm in the accounting field and have already began applying). Our lease where we currently live will be up this May and we are in dire need of more space, we've been wait-listed all these years, nothing ever becomes available, and I no longer work in the area and he has the freedom to transfer wherever we are to move to, so we really have no desire to renew in our current community again. Cost of living up here where we live is ridiculously high and getting worst. We wanted to move some time this spring but are wondering if we should put it off another year because of our credit issues which have been a challenge to combat up here because of the high cost of living. However, if the move is doable given his transfer and despite our credit issues we would love to relocate as soon as this spring. Anyone relocate to this area with similar circumstances? What was your experience and how did things play out for you?

From my experience living in Tampa (moved here from CT, 6 years ago) apartments here are very easy to get with bad credit. As long as you don't have evictions, owe money to another complex, and some don't want any filing for bankruptcy. My husband and I both don't have the best credit, but have never been turned down. We just have to pay a higher security deposit.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
From my experience living in Tampa (moved here from CT, 6 years ago) apartments here are very easy to get with bad credit. As long as you don't have evictions, owe money to another complex, and some don't want any filing for bankruptcy. My husband and I both don't have the best credit, but have never been turned down. We just have to pay a higher security deposit.
Thanks Shorty458 I was waiting for a response from someone who had BTDT (been there done that) or relocated to the area under similar circumstances. We do not have any any prior evictions and don't owe any complexes, no bankruptcy, foreclosures or anything like that. That's encouraging to know.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:45 PM

I have been looking at rentals in the area. I notice that for alot of SFH you have to apply separately with the HOA. Will this pose an issue with the HOA? What are the HOA's conducting credit and background or just background or both?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or