Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 02:26 AM

3,263 posts, read 3,690,137 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about investing in property in the Clearwater area, but I have been told by quite a few people that it has being overrun by members of the church of Scientology. If this is true then my interest in Clearwater will be over.

We had a large Scientology church close to where I once lived in East Grinstead England, and they caused no end of problems and controversy. Once bitten twice shy as they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 06:34 AM

26,863 posts, read 43,334,989 times
Clearwater is not being overrun by the Church of Scientology...it's amazing the rumors people will perpetuate. The church has it's headquarters in Downtown Clearwater, and other than that, one would be challenged to find any evidence of their influence elsewhere in the city. Clearwater is a city of around 110,000 spread out over 40 square miles. The Church of Scientology has facilities/residences spread out over a mere two blocks in Downtown Clearwater....that's not exactly overrun is it?

Old 02-03-2014, 01:10 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,971,317 times
Really it would be hard to know they were even there if the information wasn't out there.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:23 PM

4,972 posts, read 7,161,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Clearwater is not being overrun by the Church of Scientology...it's amazing the rumors people will perpetuate. The church has it's headquarters in Downtown Clearwater, and other than that, one would be challenged to find any evidence of their influence elsewhere in the city. Clearwater is a city of around 110,000 spread out over 40 square miles. The Church of Scientology has facilities/residences spread out over a mere two blocks in Downtown Clearwater....that's not exactly overrun is it?
They've bought entire apartment buildings and hotels all over the city and converted them to barracks for their worker bees. Where do you think that mob comes from every morning?

The Clearwater City Council is an "at large" city council meaning they're not elected by districts. For the last decade, the Council has been overwhelmingly (almost entirely) Clearwater Beach people. Theoretically, five people living in the same apartment building could run and be elected to the Council.

I'll go out on a pretty sturdy ledge and predict that within five years Scientology will have a substantial presence on the Council.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
They've bought entire apartment buildings and hotels all over the city and converted them to barracks for their worker bees. Where do you think that mob comes from every morning?

The Clearwater City Council is an "at large" city council meaning they're not elected by districts. For the last decade, the Council has been overwhelmingly (almost entirely) Clearwater Beach people. Theoretically, five people living in the same apartment building could run and be elected to the Council.

I'll go out on a pretty sturdy ledge and predict that within five years Scientology will have a substantial presence on the Council.
Ok seriously, take off the tin foil hat. They have not bought entire buildings and hotels "all over the city". They're downtown, next to the headquarters and comprise a few buildings in that area. In terms of "taking over the city" via city council, who knows but logic would dictate probably not.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:22 AM

153 posts, read 190,786 times
They own a lot more buildings than you think in Clearwater... 67 to be exact according to the Tampa Bay Times as of 2011. That's more than "a few".

The scientology presence doesn't bother me a bit, in fact seeing other parts of downtown I'm almost glad they are there... but the OP may feel differently. If he/she is bothered by the sight of them on the streets in packs or a huge giant building reminding you of their prescence then downtown Clearwater would certaintly be a dissapointment.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:07 PM

4,972 posts, read 7,161,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Ok seriously, take off the tin foil hat. They have not bought entire buildings and hotels "all over the city". They're downtown, next to the headquarters and comprise a few buildings in that area. In terms of "taking over the city" via city council, who knows but logic would dictate probably not.
Not sure if you know what you're talking about but they own A LOT more than what's downtown, and yes the properties are spread out all over the city. I never said they were going to take over the city but when the city council and the mayor are nominated by an at-large system, it's quite easy to stack the race with candidates with common objectives (i.e. Clearwater Beach residents). That's why it's rare and puzzling to see a city the size of Clearwater still using the at-large system instead of nominations coming from districts. I'm surprised the residents haven't raised hell about the perception of unequal representation.

I'll stand by my prediction but whether a council made up of Sciencetologists will be a good thing or a bad thing is unknown. Probably won't make any difference.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:18 AM

436 posts, read 667,240 times
Yes, Scientologists have had a presence in Clearwater since the '70's. If they wanted to take over the town - well, they've had over 40 years and have not made efforts to do so.

What kind of investment property? If you are considering downtown commercial property then the Scientologist presence is a consideration. Not because they cause trouble. Because people perceive their presence as an issue.

As for the rest of Clearwater the objection has no bearing. You could easily go about your daily life and have no awareness of the Scientologists.

I spent over 40 years in Clearwater and owned a business downtown when the Scientologists first arrived so I'm not talking without experience.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandsharkJB View Post
They own a lot more buildings than you think in Clearwater... 67 to be exact according to the Tampa Bay Times as of 2011. That's more than "a few".

The scientology presence doesn't bother me a bit, in fact seeing other parts of downtown I'm almost glad they are there... but the OP may feel differently. If he/she is bothered by the sight of them on the streets in packs or a huge giant building reminding you of their prescence then downtown Clearwater would certaintly be a dissapointment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Not sure if you know what you're talking about but they own A LOT more than what's downtown, and yes the properties are spread out all over the city. I never said they were going to take over the city but when the city council and the mayor are nominated by an at-large system, it's quite easy to stack the race with candidates with common objectives (i.e. Clearwater Beach residents). That's why it's rare and puzzling to see a city the size of Clearwater still using the at-large system instead of nominations coming from districts. I'm surprised the residents haven't raised hell about the perception of unequal representation.

I'll stand by my prediction but whether a council made up of Sciencetologists will be a good thing or a bad thing is unknown. Probably won't make any difference.
Well, who knew they owned so much...which goes back to the point of "so what"? They're quiet, go about their business and don't bother anyone else. I'll take that slice of sub-demographic over a half dozen other options any day.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:59 AM

892 posts, read 1,568,583 times
They do have many apartment buildings and older mom and pop hotel style buildings scattered around Clearwater away from downtown...

A few examples would be on Keene Rd north of Drew St (multiple properties)

Alt 19 south of Sunset Point Rd

There are plenty more as well...

They use them as a safe spot to house their "recruits" so to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay