Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 09:34 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,653,739 times

Advertisements

Well that's the question! We've always wanted to vacation on Florida's Gulf Coast, but some how always would up in Delray Beach or Orlando. (we have relatives in the first place)

Now one of our children is looking at a couple of colleges on or near the Gulf Coast. We will be leasing a car.

What are some moderately priced places to stay? We lean vegetarian but eat sea food and love to try local places. Any suggestions?

We are combining the college visits with a much needed vacation. Any ideas?

We will be traveling in March. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 07:18 AM

296 posts, read 657,992 times
I'd say stay in the Channel Side district of Tampa, but if by Tampa you mean the Tampa Bay area I'd go to Pinellas to be closer to the beaches.

Colleges around here to check out would be 1) University of South Florida (Northeast Tampa), 2) University of Tampa (downtown), Eckerd College (South St. Petersburg), USFSP (downtown St. Pete).

They vary from large to small campuses and public to private and pricey. Personally I'd check out USFSP, beautiful campus.

In Tampa you can check out a Lightning hockey game, a Yankees spring training game, Busch Gardens theme park, some great shopping at international mall, Lowry Park Zoo, Big Cat Rescue, but as far as beaches I'd stay away from Hillsborough county beaches.

In St. Petersburg I would head downtown, especially if you are veggies. A walk down Beach Drive will give you plenty of good veggie options. Also St. Pete is has all the museums, modern art, Salvador Dali, Holocaust, museum of fine art. You can head to St. Pete Beach and check out some local landmarks like PCI, or the Thunderbird. And downtown St. Pete is much more vibrant than Tampa as far as foot traffic and walkable things to do, especially on weekends.

In Clearwater you will find the nicest beaches in the area. A little more dead of a downtown area. You can catch the Phillies play springs training in Clearwater or the Blue Jays in nearby Dunedin. Clearwater is the best place to grab seafood in the area IMO. A good spot that is not pricey is the Palm Pavillion on Clearwater beach.

All three of the cities in Tampa Bay have unique things to offer. A lot of it is spread out though so prepare to drive, good luck.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:30 AM

554 posts, read 976,943 times
There are spring training games up and down the coast if you are into baseball. I know there is a veggie / healthy restaurant in downtown St. Pete. Not sure of the name as I go for the unhealthy!!!. Plenty of sea food places up and down the beach.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:22 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Hockey team might have some home games (Channelside).

Old 02-15-2014, 02:08 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
Well that's the question! We've always wanted to vacation on Florida's Gulf Coast, but some how always would up in Delray Beach or Orlando. (we have relatives in the first place)

If you want the Gulf Coast think western St Petersburg as its actually on the Gulf coast, Tampa is 25 miles to the east on Tampa Bay.
http://marinerbeachclubcondos.com/wp...directions.png

Old 02-15-2014, 05:14 AM

The Dali Museum (Salvador Dali Museum, St Petersburg, Florida USA)

Old 02-17-2014, 08:32 AM

https://www.facebook.com/cltampabay

Keep an eye out for events on Creative Loafing's FB page.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:09 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,653,739 times
Thank you all for the ideas. Some really good ones! Rep to all who tried. On me.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:30 AM

Speaking of the Dali, can someone explain this Mike Peters cartoon that he published recently? I don't get it. Is it a knock on Florida heat? Or is there something in Dali's art that explains it? Thanks.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:16 AM

484 posts, read 760,831 times
Not a knock on Florida It's a funny made on "The Persistence of Memory" by Dali

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay