Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 03:46 PM

8 posts, read 33,608 times

Advertisements

1. How is the job market in the call center, customer service, general office (such as data processing, receptionist, etc.) areas with a non-degree applicant but with significant experience. --- I'm a full time college student, so I cant really help you with this... but other than on this forum I havent heard complaints.

2. What is the average price of an apartment complex in the area.- Honestly, I'm looking for a new place as well, I live in dorms right now. From what ive seen, the bigger apartment complexes around here arent so great. There are many older houses that are broken up into apartments which seem nice and are very conveniently located in St. pete... they run around $600-$800. There are tons of houses for rent... but unless you plan on having a room mate or two they are pretty pricey. Also... the further from downtown you go the less expensive it will be.

3. How far is a commute from St. Petersburg to Tampa (Vice Versa).- It very much depends on the time of day. I dont make that drive often so I couldnt tell you for sure.

4. What is the concentration of hispanic population in the area. ( I have already seen the statics, I wanting more of feel of the concentration, such as heavy, medium, light, none in site.)- depends on where you are.. I would say med/heavy in most places

5. Overall, how are the people in the area. ( Nice, Rude, etc)- I havent had any issues with anyone. Ive only met nice people. I also live on a college campus... that might make a difference, but I would say overall they are nice everywhere.

6. How do locals respond to interacial gay couples? I dont have much experience but i do have a few gay friends and i havent heard anything negative from them. As i said... everyone is pretty friendly.

7. What is the weather like? Its hot... a lot. Winters are fantastic... perfect in my opinion... but there arent any realy seasons. Its warm almost the entire year.

8. What is the traffic like? depends on the time of day... there is rush hour everywhere. Overall its tolerable. In the city pedestrians are more of a problem that other drivers for the most part. US 19 is kindof a nightmare. St. pete as a city is better than tolerable.

9. What is the crime like.- depends on where you are. downtown... I feel feel pretty safe walking around. Being a girl i wouldnt walk around alone... but there isnt many places that i would. South st pete gets a little seedy, the further north the better it gets. but once again... for a city... its not bad.

10. People who have relocated to the area from a similar area as myself, what is your overall opinion of the area- born and raised in fl. can help here

but.... other than the weather (it gets intolerable sometimes) I love it here. If you want to live in florida... this is the area i would suggest. (that includes tampa, st pete, clearwater, and all the surrounding areas)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 11:07 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,084,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoraide View Post
Hi everyone! I am pursuing St. Petersburg, Tampa as a possible place for relocation. I am currently in Indianpolis. I few questions regarding the area if I could get some locals to answer them for me, it will really help my desicion.

1. How is the job market in the call center, customer service, general office (such as data processing, receptionist, etc.) areas with a non-degree applicant but with significant experience.

2. What is the average price of an apartment complex in the area.

3. How far is a commute from St. Petersburg to Tampa (Vice Versa).

4. What is the concentration of hispanic population in the area. ( I have already seen the statics, I wanting more of feel of the concentration, such as heavy, medium, light, none in site.)

5. Overall, how are the people in the area. ( Nice, Rude, etc)

6. How do locals respond to interacial gay couples?

7. What is the weather like?

8. What is the traffic like?

9. What is the crime like.

10. People who have relocated to the area from a similar area as myself, what is your overall opinion of the area.

I appreciate your help!
1. Lots of call centers. $30,000 per year is good for this area. Email me for details if you want suggestions for working in a call center.
2. I rent a 2/2 house in St. Pete for $1200. Apartments are comparable but can be found for $700-$900. Look in local ads and craigslist.com to avoid big apt communities, there are duplexes, garage cottages and smaller apt buildings with charm.
3. St. Pete to Tampa is not as bad in the morning as it is in the eve. Alot of call centers are on the St. Pete side. Getting to downtown Tampa is tough from anywhere, there are jobs on the periphial, though.
4. Hispanics are more prevalent on the Tampa side, but my Puerto Rican wife fits right in in St. Pete, too. The area has alot of hispanic heritige, so there's not much discrimination.'
5. People in St. Pete are incredibly nice. I've met more neighbors in a month in St. Pete than I did in over a year in Tampa. If you own a dog, you'll know everyone.
6. Locals don't respond to interacial gay couples. Fairly liberal as far as that goes. That's Tampa or St. Pete. You'll be fine.
7. Weather? It's the sunshine state. You can where sandals on a cold day.
8. Traffic is lousy, especially coming into Tampa after the I-275 bridge, heading south on the Veterans expressway in the a.m. (vice versa in the eves), and coming into Tampa - west on I-4... all horrible. I haven't ventured around the pennisula much during rush hours, so I can't speak for other St. Pete commutes.
9. Crime... There allot of crazy a-holes down here. If there is some bizarre crime and it didn't happen in Florida, the idiot came to Florida after committing it. They're not hard to pick out, though. I don't think there's alot of random crime, just be selective when choosing freinds.
10. I relocated about 5 years ago. Jobs don't pay much, but there are plenty of them. Renting is not so bad, it's not a good time to own anything. The overall cost of living isn't the worst, there are things to do for those of us making less than $40,000. Look into Old North East St. Petersburg, but there are plenty of other nice neighborhoods, too. Downtown has alot going on, relatively speaking. I don't know if I'll be living here in 5 years, but Tampa Bay has treated me well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay