Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 02:44 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,582,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You seem to be absolving the driver for any accident and laying the blame for accidents solely on the vehicle itself. What you refer to as car violence is usually Driver stupidity as without a driver the large SUV is just an inert chunk of metal,plastic,glass and rubber.
Why people choose to drive giant wallowing land barges i have no idea but if they are for sale you have the freedom to buy them.. Some of the worst accident prone countries in the world have very few SUV's and large pickup trucks.
https://www.google.ca/#q=worst+road+...ld&safe=active
Sorry, precedent has already been set. We can't blame evil. If only we could take away all cars, then our roads would be safe. Our children come first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 02:46 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Agree totally with giant SUV comment. They are road hogs and parking hogs. There are elderly people all over the place driving Cadillac Escalades (badly). Large SUVs and giant trucks should also have their own parking areas in lots. They block you in and you have to inch out of the space praying, as you cannot see anything that might be coming. When they back out many do so without bothering to look because they can't even see far enough in back to know what they are going to hit, you just have to get out of their way. I've seen them on the roads driving and weaving as if they were a more nimble sports car. It's one thing if you live on a ranch and really need a vehicle like that, but it seems like the west coast of Fla has a massive amount of these vehicles--like giant boxes all over the highway--and idiots driving them. When you drive in South Fla, Europe or the Northeast, there aren't that many giant vehicles and it's actually easier to drive in those places.
Could some of them be using back up camera? They may also be reacting to the stay in lane alerts weaving in and out, lol. Old people with diminished skill should drive no car. Not just SUVs.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:49 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Sorry, precedent has already been set. We can't blame evil. If only we could take away all cars, then our roads would be safe. Our children come first.
If you take all the cars off the road no one would be able to get to work or there would be no products in any of the stores,no school buses, fire trucks or police , sounds kinda extreme to me.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:51 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,582,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Those huge SUVs seem to be much safer than a small, fuel efficient 4-cylinder. I'd be driving a huge vehicle just for the safety if gas weren't $3.50/gal.
Your safety what about all the people that get killed by those killer vehicles. Now if everyone would just use bikes or walk Car Deaths would go down for sure. As a bonus think of all the animal road kill every year as well. Where's PETA !!!

Old 02-17-2014, 02:54 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
So, if I underatnd your logic, you value your money than your life? .
An argument can be made that a small 4-cylinder is easier to maneuver and avoid an accident compared to an SUV. Also, SUVs tend to be top heavy and rollover easier. So the safety having steel around you is countered by a vehicle difficult difficult to drive away from trouble and rolls over when you do. I think there's a balance - there are some very safe sedans that get good mpg.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Those huge SUVs seem to be much safer than a small, fuel efficient 4-cylinder. I'd be driving a huge vehicle just for the safety if gas weren't $3.50/gal.
I suppose if you do get in an accident bigger is probably better,however if we are comparing those small cars to large SUV's and Pickups most of those small cars are quicker, more maneuverable, a smaller target to hit in the first place, will stop quicker and generally resist flipping over in an emergency maneuver.,it really depends on the dynamics of the accident as to which size vehicle is best, head on the big one wins everytime.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:56 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Your safety what about all the people that get killed by those killer vehicles.
Least of my concerns - safety of my passengers is utmost importance.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:11 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,794,255 times
Quote:
Those large capacity assault vehicles are only safer for those bullies who are in them, they are a menace to everyone else; that's why we need to restrict the sizes to smaller cars with smaller engines. If it saves one child... and stops the climate from changing....

Old 02-17-2014, 03:20 PM

I think rather than restrict the size of cars law should strictly enforce the laws of the road, too many speeders, too many people running red lights and stop signs, too much electronic distraction,too many people driving around with physical impairments all conspire to kill somewhere around 40K people per year nation wide.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:47 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,821,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I think rather than restrict the size of cars law should strictly enforce the laws of the road, too many speeders, too many people running red lights and stop signs, too much electronic distraction,too many people driving around with physical impairments all conspire to kill somewhere around 40K people per year nation wide.
I think this about sums it up.

I have a mid-size pickup (Explorer size) which is the same year as the one I bought brand new, in 2001. When I was forced to replace the first one, I chose the exact same model and year. The gas mileage is horrendous but with the 70 miles or so commute I have each day, on one of the worst highways in the state, I do feel a bit more secure and I'll take safety over gas cost.

But...no vehicle is crash-proof. Several years ago I was coming home from my volleyball league doing the speed limit, about 35-40 on a main road near a college. I was going through a green light on a very straight road with only one car approaching from the opposite way - when suddenly the car (an average size) decided at the very last moment she was going to take a left just as I was going through the light. I didn't even have time to hit the breaks, clipped her passenger's front corner, and MY truck got totaled.

Point is, as is the sentiment of most on here, it's the lack of responsibility of that of the driver (she was a college student who, along with her passenger, had been drinking) and not the size of the vehicle. I had the 'bigger weapon' in that instance and I still lost. Imagine if that car was traveling twice that speed and hit me head on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay